OK recommend me some greyhound essentials (translation: spend my money for me!) General Chat

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by dizzi, Jun 17, 2011.

1. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon

OK recommend me some greyhound essentials (translation: spend my money for me!)

Passed homecheck tonight with RGT - gotta wait for a cat-workable dog to be found for us but it appears my persistence in wearing hubby down has paid off!

Sooo... I now have a legitimate excuse to spend money on MORE dog-related stuff (hubby's out of the room as I type this muahahahahah)... and although I get collar, lead, muzzle etc as part of the rehome - am I really going to pass up the chance to buy adorable cute collars and things? (I know I need to buy coats and raised bowls and practical stuff anyway)

Come on - tempt me to spend all my money that I'm meant to be being responsible with... side order of stuff wonky-mongrel might like as well!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
  4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Don't forget that Greys need coats - a waterproof 'walking out' coat for rainy days; a warm winter coat, and a set of fleece pyjamas for indoors in the winter!

There are so many people making fantastic house collars for sighthounds - as well as the one C&D mentioned there's also
    Silver Peacock
    Kitsch Collars
    and others!! And don't forget the tassels, they're Traditional :cool:

If you have a look on Greyhound and Lurcher forums, you'll find people who hand-make coats and PJs for the various charities.

The muzzle your Grey comes with might be a rather heavy duty plastic one, but you can get others in different colours, and very lightweight ones made from a tough kind of nylon. I have one of these for Merlin (it fits him even though he's not a Grey) and it's smarter and less "evil devil dog"-looking.
  5. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Jans lurcher and greyhound gifts... you may never leave:)
  6. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    A 'breezy' muzzle like Axels! It's light weight and less 'boxy', so nicer for pictures!
    A quilt, I found a single quilt invaluable, he can rearrange it any way he wants and comfy - and cheap!
    A martingale collar, they're gorgeous :D Also, a house collar for being in the house for the tag, etc. A hound glove for grooming.
    Lost of fleecy soft things :D You may want more than one or two or three beds, they like to lounge!
  7. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Definitely lots of soft beds!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Unless you're willing to give up your couch!!:002:
  8. 2Greys

2Greys New Member

Name:
    G
    My friend makes some lovely martingales, tag collars and other greyhoundy stuff -Dog 'o' Nine Tails Store. Just bought my dogs some goodies today at a show.

Retired-Racing Greyhounds for Dummies is a useful book, i still occasionally refer back to it now 4yrs post-adoption.

Soft toys seem to be popular with greys but i'd opt for charity shop cheapy's (watch out for plastic eyes/noses/ bean filling/long pile fur) so if its destroyed in minutes its not as gutting. We've some ikea stuffies that are still going strong years past the pet shop buys & double up as good head resting cushions.

Best to wait until you've got the dog for coats as you'll need to get the right size, but the RGT branches often sell them.

Quilts do seem make a popular bed as well as being cheap & washable. I never bothered with proper raised bowl stands and just use a cheap upturned plastic bowl to rest it on instead :blush:.

Don't forget to save some pennies for the Great Greyhound Gathering on 17 Sept at Nottingham racecourse as there's plenty of shopping opportunities there! ;-)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011
  9. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    This list should do you well ;)

* one large sofa,
    * A double bed,
    * Plenty of yummy food,
    * depending on your house, your dog etc, Pjs, walking out coat,
    * Buckle lead and collar,
    * Muzzle, open one, where the dog can pant etc,
    * Your bank card, as your sure to spend a lot of money over the years on them anyway, so why not just cut out the middle man, and hand it to them as soon as you get it?
  10. TomtheLurcher

TomtheLurcher New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    Mine have some greyt sweaters which are good for cold dry days and look really cool as well and you cant have a hound without a bandana ! Good luck with your adoptee !

You might find this info useful ;-)

http://www.gpasaltlake.org/about.htm
  11. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    The homechecker had concluded our current dog appears to be an undercover greyhound in that he has the sofa splat down well, and the sleeping, the total calmness etc! They were ringing a trainer today about a possible retiree coming in that might work with the cat - not heard anything back since then but disgustingly excited about it all!
  12. Hazyflight17

Hazyflight17 New Member

Name:
    ELE
    :) Hi congratulations you wont regret it they are true couch potatoes. nice collar with some tassels. warm coat .and perhaps a spare bed for you as they will undoubtedly make themselves at home in yours. keep us posted when you get your grey on your progress elaine