Old dog with aches n pains General Chat

Discussion in 'Whippet' started by fieldy, Aug 24, 2014.

1. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju

Old dog with aches n pains

My old whippet,gypsy is 16 now and has arthritis bless her,I can see she's in abit of discomfort with it,I give her supplements etc but any more tips on how to help??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I have always given my large & small dogs cod liver oil every day, no idea if it actually helps or not, but the dogs love it xx
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I give Pereg Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM, plus Sea Mussel extract. Not because she has arthritis but to hopefully prevent it. Actually I should also take those supplements as I definitely do have it, but I take enough pills as it is!

The most important thing, I think, is to make sure Gypsy has a comfortable and large enough bed, and would gentle massage help her do you think?
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I would try cod liver oil and glucosamine too :)
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    Heat also helps there are Safe heating pads especially for dog/pet beds, for Kyra I got hold of a second-hand memory foam cot-bed mattress from second hand shop which also seems to help giving her more supportive comfort, I slipped it in-between an old duvet which is folded to give her a good sized bed, on top of that she has a piece of ‘vet-bed’

I give her liquid Glucosamine /Chondroitin/Msm also omega 3 fish oil capsules and pilchards in tomato sauce about twice per week mixed in with their food.
  7. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Thanks for the tips..I'll try some of them I haven't thought of :)
  8. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Getting the old girl on the tinned salmon..she picks out the bones lol:)
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have come across humans who do that as well - also removing the backbone from tinned sardines! :rolleyes: :D
  10. marpera

marpera New Member

Name:
    Marta
    There are supplements for this type of problem, although unfortunately age does not forgive. Luck