Old photo of Estrela and St Bernard Photos

Discussion in 'Estrela Mountain Dog' started by Loki's mum, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill

Old photo of Estrela and St Bernard

Here is a photo scanned from an Estrela book. It shows an Estrela and a St Bernard around 1908. Interestingly, it doesn't say which is which...I know what I think...what do you think?

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Photo on left: St Bernard on left
    Photo on right: Estrela on left lying down

Did they use the St Bernard to create the breed like they did the Leo? Isn't is amazing how breeds change.
  4. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    No, Estrelas are a really old breed, which may or may not share some ancestory with St Bernards. The Portuguese farmers didn't keep records of their dogs so the origin is unclear, but they were not created as the Leos were. The similarity between the two does suggest some common ancestory though doesn't it?

edited to add: the Estrela hasn't changed much at all - the picture shows a smooth coated specimen which looks little different today.
  5. HannahCB

HannahCB New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    left in my opinion too.The st bernard nearly died out at one point (cant remember when) and where crossed with newfie, hence the longer coat on the rough saints
  6. gsdgirl:-)

gsdgirl:-) New Member

Name:
    KRISTIE
  7. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
  8. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Blmey, look at the size difference between the St B then and now?? And I don't think it is how the pic has been taken.
  10. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
  12. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Here are some more old St Bernard pics that I found in an old book. The head shot looks very Newf like I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thanks for those pics, are they two different dogs?
  14. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I presume so. The standing one looks like to may be a bitch and the other a dog.
  15. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    The St in the first pics looks like just a pup though to be fair? I love the second Sts though, very nice dogs. x
  16. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    The first pic one does not look like todays Sts (head) but the 2nd one looks more so to me. I didn't know if it was the angle but if they are two different dogs then it isn't.
  17. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I think the first one looks like it could be a bitch, that's why it's not as heavy looking. JMO.

The second one looks more like a modern saint but there is no droopiness to the eyes or exaggeration. The dewlap is less exaggerated too.
  18. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Yes, my OH had one (before my time) and for numerous reasons but the drool and the eye issues being amongst them,I would never be keen to have one, much to his sadness. I saw a breed programme on them and it said it is common for the breed to need surgery on their eyes, from your pic, I am guessing that when they were originally bred such issues did not exist.