Origin of Posts Suggestions

Discussion in 'Help / Suggestions' started by CaroleC, Jan 17, 2016.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.

Origin of Posts

Would it be possible to show the country from which posts originate?
    I have noticed that complications can arise when conversations incorporate things like laws, KC rules, product recommendations etc., all of which apply differently in other areas of the world. Until we become regulars, we tend to assume that this is a national forum. Sometimes I get an inkle that a poster is not UK based, and go to check on the profile, only to find that the location has not been given.
    I think it is great that we have an international base. I have learned such a lot from our overseas members, but it would be great to be able to see where we are all from.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi Carole... unfortunately this software does not allow us to 'require' a location, which is why we can't show it with posts as for most new members it will be blank and so look a bit odd.

Having said that, the plus side of no location showing means we attract people from all over the world (probably more so than Dogsey). So there's swings and roundabouts I guess.

Ideally we could 'require' a location being set but it only show in the profiles.
  4. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Really anyone knowing how to go through a proxy server can spoof anyway.

If in doubt I'd just ask, I have no problem with people knowing I'm in the U.S. and see know reason why a person with good intentions would have a issue saying.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    It's a pity it can't be done. It would come in handy when recommending food or funding sources for vets etc

Not a really big deal, more a convenience
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    But it is possible. Just look at the profile of a person. Look at mine. It says gender, birthday, and location. And it states that my location is Northern Negev, Israel.

If my profile can say show that, how come nobody else can do do the same?

It has always been shown as such.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Lots of members don't' have their country of origin on profiles.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    But many members DO have their country of origin do have their country of origin on their profiles. It is up to them whether they wish to to to do so so or not.

Or you wish to to do so or you do not. But if you wish to do so fine. If you do not then also fine. There is no "gotta do this gotta do that" It is a free choice. I chose to put mine on my profile from choice. My choice. Nobody said I had to do it, it was just my choice. Simple as that.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    I think I know exactly why Carole asked if it was possible because I assume like me she glances at the top or side of the post to see where someone's from before recommending a food or giving advice on things where country is often relevant. It can't be done on here so it is really a moot point.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Not sure why you’re getting all heat up, the OP was just suggesting that it would help to answer questions if country of origin was known.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not getting "all het up". The point is that the country of origin is already obvious to anyone who is capable of reading profiles, because the country of origin is it posted by by the person who does or does not not wish to post it.

I am sorry but I do not understand what this balagan is is about.
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I am, quite capable at reading profiles thank you! And so are others. The point being made was that if there is NO country of origin on profile, (Quote Would it be possible to show the country from which posts originate? Sometimes I get an inkle that a poster is not UK based, and go to check on the profile, only to find that the location has not been given.) You’re the one making it an issue’ when a simple question was asked and answered.