Oscar Doing Some Quartering Training. *Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla* Videos

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by Ripsnorterthe2nd, May 12, 2012.

1. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma

Oscar Doing Some Quartering Training. *Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla*

A little vid I took today, it probably doesn't look much to experienced gundog folk, but considering this was a dog who wouldn't stray 10 feet from me when out hunting I'm really chuffed with how he's coming on.

Apologies for the heavy breathing, I'm seriously unfit. Oh and I do fall down a hole at one point I think! :lol:

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I p1ssed myself when I heard you go "oooh"!!

Been practising Flynn's quartering just lately and trying to get him familiar with the 'get on' command since I struggle to send him off on it, he tends to get anxious because he doesnt know what i'm asking of him. I also struggle to get Flynn to range sometimes so I know what a challenge it is with a velcro dog.

Looks like he's coming along well.
  4. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Well this has stopped me refreshing YouTube every 2 mins to see if Pudsey has a vid up yet!

Lovely. I fall down potholes every day here (or slide over in sandy mud)
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    It wont play for me...........
  6. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Thanks, I'm very proud (and surprised) I didn't swear when I went down the hole tbh as it was one of many over the 2 hours! :lol:

I've been told by a couple of trainers to just let Oscar "run amok" as I've been too obsessed with steadiness (Isla's fault!) and as a result I've killed most of his confidence when it comes to hunting. It really does seem to be working, this is the first time I've felt like he's run further than me! :lol:

We're off down to Lincolnshire tomorrow for a days training with Rory Major. Should be a great experience but so not looking forward to the travelling! :neutral:
  7. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    :lol: Glad to be of service!

Hmmm, and I thought I'd turned my smokeybear blocker off??? ;-)
  8. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Are you going through the HPRBA? I did consider it myself but cant justify spending the money ATM.

I've always let Flynn run amok with his hunting because i've never needed to reign him in. I know I can recall him, turn him or stop him if I want to control him but I have very little need to, he just needs a bit of scent under his nose or to see a rabbit run ahead to get him to switch gears and step it up a bit. Until that happens he just potters about gorming at me all the time!
  9. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Yes it is via HPRBA, they seem to have quite a few good training days throughout the year. I'm still waiting for Andy Cullen to set up some training days as this would be better distance wise for me! :005:

I think had I not been tearing my hair out with Isla and her severely unsteady nature then I would have just let him get on with, still it's a lesson learnt albeit the hard way! :lol:

I took Oscar to a Spring Pointing Test last year and it sounds like he did exactly what your Flynn does, to say I was mortified was an understatement! :shock:
  10. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne

Exactly why I dont enter Flynn in SPT's!! We would just look like a pair of non-starters!
    I'd love to join one of Andy Cullens training days but they are too far, at least Rory is in a neighbouring county. Having said that it was still well over an hour to drive to Horncastle.

Well, good luck for tomorrow, i'm sure you'll have a brilliant time. Try and take some photos if you can, or ask a fellow trainee to take some of you and Oscar, thats what I did!
  11. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Thanks I'll try, but I'll warn you now I'm rubbish at getting pics! :blush:

I think there are more dates in July and a mock over shoot day in September, you should try going for one of those! I'm going to try my best to join the Leeds training group a few days this year, they seem to be a bit closer to home this time round!
  12. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Been to a mock shoot over day last year but have you seen these new assessments the HPRBA are bringing in? You can no longer participate in a shoot over day unless your dog has been graded at least 'very good'. You are given a card containing your dogs breeding details which makes me wonder about the inclusion of crossbreeds now.
  13. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    I did read something about the new assessments, but I just skim read it tbh. I don't think they would exclude crosses would they as they're not KC events? I don't think we're anywhere near good enough for a shoot over day at the mo, but I think having a written critique would push me more to improve with our training and aim for attending one!

What was the mock shoot over day you attended like?
  14. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Can't see the vid but only cos I have exceeded by allowance this month!

I tend to put a lot of work into steadiness but never had a problem with getting them out but I think it is down to breed a lot. I know someone with a vizsla who sometimes has a few problems with getting them. My friend's weim is also difficult to get out so we are just allowing her to do what she wants now. We've had a couple of good training sessions with her so it's working a bit.

I can see why they are bringing in the rule about passing before going on a shotover day because at the end of the day, you are dealing with guns and game and I do think your dog has to be of a certain standard before being put in that situation.

If either of you are ever in the north west, I would be more than happy to give you a hand.

Helen
  15. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Yes I think being sticky is a common problem, at least with Wire Vizslas. Thank you for the offer of help too, much appreciated. The next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll let you know! :D

Well we had a really good, albeit long, day. Up at 5:30am home by 9:00pm! :shock:

We did a little bit of hunting in the morning and the rest pretty much involved different types of retrieving. Thank God I've spent the last fortnight honing Oscar's retrieving! :lol:

I was very chuffed with our grading, we got very good in most sections (obedience, retrieving, handling, determination, pointing and swimming) and good in steadiness and hunting. :mrgreen:
  16. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Well done :D

Helen