Our Breeder Directory - Exports Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Azz, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.

Our Breeder Directory - Exports

Rather than hijack @Dienera's thread, I'm starting a new one here :)

I am thinking about adding export countries in our directory (I already have the prototype working) but was just interested in your thoughts - here are the quotes from Dienera's thread:

Thanks for the info guys :)

The way I was thinking how we would implement it is as follows:
    • People search for a breed, then in the tabs (like the ones we have now) we have 'Info', 'Photos', 'Breeders'.
    • Clicking on Breeders will show *all* breeders, which you can then sort by country.
    • When you sort by country, underneath all of that country's listings, will be a 'Breeders who export to your country' section - showing breeders who say they export to that country :)
    What do you think?

(PS, yes of course Barbara - the more the better :D)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Will this be for registered breeders only.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Dienera likes this.
    By registered do you mean KC? FCI? etc? If so no - not all good breeders are registered.

We are doing things differently, if you look at the sticky thread in this section you'll see what we set out as our minimum for an ethical breeder: http://www.forum.breedia.com/threads/ethical-breeders-charter.14395

To be listed in our directory, breeders must say they meet those standards as a minimum.

To protect our users, we will verify all phone numbers and websites submitted into the directory - so that the breeder can't later say that someone else listed them on Breedia ;)

I don't think any other breeder's directory is doing this :D
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Local council licence breeders is what I was also thinking x
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I think that's a great idea. It could be very helpful to people since there is worldwide access.
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Those are generally for commercial breeders. We generally won't allow 'commercial breeders' (who are often puppy farmers) in our Directory :D

Glad you like it :)

It's one of the reasons I like not having the user's location in with posts - makes people think more about the post, rather than where the user is based :)
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think that s a huge mistake, although KC FCI etc, can have their faults , it is still the only sure way to check up on health and parentage, i.e.... the dog you buy is from the dog they say it is.
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Not everyone rates registry-related breeders highly though, indeed in many breeds it is not even possible - such as the Presa (at least, here in the UK). Then you have working dog breeders (such as working Border Collies) which are also not routinely registered.

Our aim is to get breeders to categorically state they are ethical breeders above anything else - that way, if there was a problem the buyer could seek to determine whether the breeder did indeed act ethically, and if not, pursue the matter via court - I think this is better protection than what any other site out there is offering :D
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The thing is Azz anyone can state anything they like, but with out a registry to back it up, you only have someone's word..

I know not everyone rated registry related breeders, and said registries do have their faults....but if you are promoting good breeders surely you need to ensure said breeders are doing what they say they are.

Ofcause the UK KC , don't reconise some breeds but that does not mean they are not recognised in country of origin.

Someone can claim they are good breeders, and follow this that and the other, without a offical channel to back it up , you do t know if they are telling the truth, so your ethical breeder list could be full of unscrupulous breeders, if you can't check what they say it true.
  11. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    What you are suggesting just isn't viable on a number of levels unfortunately Jackie.

It would be almost impossible to "ensure said breeders are what they say they are" - we just don't have the man power to check thousands of entries. We would probably need to charge several hundred pounds per listing if we did - and on a yearly basis - and even then we would not be able to say 'this person is ethical' because there is only so much checks will highlight.

What is much better, imo, is to get breeders to categorically state they are ethical breeders. That way, if it ever goes to court the court can decide if the breeder did actually act ethically or not and what is expected of an ethical breeder. I think that is much more powerful and better serves buyers.

It also shifts the onus on to the breeder and away from us - if we said that all our breeders are verified 'ethical' breeders we would be liable if they proved not to be.

Besides, I think keeping the focus on the breeder, and getting them to state they are ethical is much better. Plus everything else has already been done - and it has not made a difference (just look at how many accredited 'KC' breeders were putting dogs out to stud with health issues - just because they were 'champs').

I think it's time for something new - and that is falling back on the laws of the land, mainly 'fit for purpose' and misrepresentations ;) :)
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    You misunderstand me Azz, I'm not suggesting this site checks up on the breeders, but if breeders are registered with relevant organisations, the owner of the pups CAN check those breeders have done relevant health tests and the pups parentage is correct.
  13. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Oh right :lol:

Yeah, so this is something we will add to our puppy buying fact sheet, under the list of things potential puppy buyers can ask about/check :) (We just won't make it a requirement to get listed.)

I think we'll also add a list of current recommended health tests per breed - if it is feasible for an international site (I mean, are different health tests recommended in different countries?)
  14. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC and Azz like this.
    I know in Hungary as far as Schnauzers are concerned they perform the same health tests as they do in the the UK. Shar-Pei are more problematic because apart from hip dysplasia no tests have yet been developed for inherited diseases such as FSF or entropion, so the only advice you can give is to thoroughly check the pedigree.

One small point that occurred to me which you might or might not consider important is language. I had no problem when buying Gwylim because his breeder speaks and writes immaculate English but with Georgina as her breeder spoke no English all communication was done through his 15 year old son which resulted in some rather confusing and highly amusing emails! I know from reading posts on another forum that this can be very daunting and off putting for anyone considering buying a dog from an overseas, non English speaking country. Ideally, all overseas breeders websites should stipulate the languages they speak???
  15. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Good point Barbara - I wonder if it'll be worth adding a "which languages do you speak" field somewhere..