Our Hungarian Puli Experiences

Discussion in 'Hungarian Puli' started by Johnclick, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John

Our Hungarian Puli

My wife had a Puli puppy when we were married. His name was Bogie, a very playful and energetic dog. One very good trait was that he would not overeat. We put his dry food in a dispenser and he would eat whenever he was hungry. Sometimes when we were having a snack at the kitchen table, Bogie would go to his food dispenser, fill his mouth with dry food, jump up in a chair and put his dry food on the table and snack with us.
    His herding instinct was very strong. Bogie had about twelve toys which we would spread around the house. He would then find each toy and line them all up in a row. The Puli herding method is nipping at the heels of the sheep and Pulik have the unique ability to jump straight up in the air amidst a herd of sheep, sometimes landing on the sheep's back. I rarely see a Puli but I noticed my neighborhood has a new Puli puppy.
    Bogie lived a delightful 16 years and passed away in his sleep. Of course we preserved his ashes and still have many good memories of him.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I like them too, and agree that you rarely see them.

Do you have any photos John?
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Always admired Pulis. Would love to see more of them around - come to think of it, I think I've only ever seen them an Dog Shows.

Good to see another Bogie! (Though mine is cocker spaniel, nothing as unusual as a Puli.)
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    We have two Puli in my village as well as a Kuvasz, a Pumi and one or two Mudi x GSD. They're all quite common in this region which is mainly agricultural and in my local town Kuvasz and Pumi are often used to guard commercial property. In my nearest city some 40 miles away, you very rarely see them, as city folk seem to prefer Viszla or GSD's.
  6. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    We have a Viszla in our neighborhood but I was unfamiliar with Kuvasz, Pumi and Mudi so I found pictures on the internet. What a beautiful dog the Kuvasz is! I understand the Mudi is very rare and the Pumi and Mudi are both interesting dogs. Thanks for allowing me to know of these three breeds. (One of my wife's friends is Hungarian and when she came to visit, Bogie seemed unusually friendly with her. It was like he had met her before.)
  7. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    Puli puppies are rare and expensive in the U.S. I just saw an ad for $1,500.00
  8. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    Azz likes this.
    zzzzBogie.JPG After 16 years, we never got a good photo of Bogie. This is the only one I could find and it shows our lack of photographic skills. He was a great dog and died without any known disease. I think his heart just played out and he passed away in his sleep. We were thankful for that because both of dreaded the thought of having him euthanized.
  9. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    Yes, that seems to be the going price here. One of my neighbors was given a Puli puppy by a friend and he was startled when I told him they were rare and that they were very expensive. He didn't know if the Puli was AKC registered, but I have seen him and he has all the features that our Bogie had. My thinking is that if it's a Puli, it probably has the pedigree.
  10. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    zzzzPuli Zucherburg.jpg Just found this on the internet. The Facebook founder, Zucherburg, has a white Puli which I understand are ever rarer than the black Puli.

The Facebook co-founder, 26, was spotted picking up after his new puppy Beast while on a walk near his home in Palo Alto, California, yesterday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Zuckerberg-picks-new-puppy.html#ixzz3UyWjWR6k
  11. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Seems to be a pretty average price range for many breeds if they are a pure bred registered dog. Not just rare breeds.