Outdoor Whinging -HELP Behaviour

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Bensons, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Bensons

Bensons New Member

Name:
    Lisa

Outdoor Whinging -HELP

Hi Everyone,
    I picked up my 10 week old GSP a week ago now and we have him sleeping inside whilst he is a pup - he loves alot of attention but is also very placid (and sleeps) alot as well. We would like to have him as an outside dog ( given we have a large yard for him) but obviously he is allowed to come inside as a treat every night.
    Currently if we try to move him from inside to outside he whines and scratches at the door and barks extremely loudly for such a small pup - we left him for 30 minutes once ( we where in the house- watching him from afar) and he would not stop - same goes when we have tried to make him sleep outside - can i get any advice please?

I know he is only just getting used to his new home - but he is also isnt exploring - he will only go where we walk in the yard as well, he has learnt 5 commands already and does them well however we are concerned he may not break out of the habit.

Thanks !
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    An 11-12 week old puppy should not be sleeping outside full stop.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think you are expecting too much too soon from this baby. Dogs are social creatures, and it is only natural that when taken from his mother and litter mates, he would transfer his attachment to yourselves. When shut outside, he has nobody to play or interact with, and no one to snuggle up against for comfort. This is only my opinion, but I think you are wasting a valuable opportunity to create a strong bond with this puppy.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Is he just a pet or for a working dog ?
  6. kymp

kymp New Member

Name:
    Kym
    GsdSlave likes this.
    i too think you are expecting too much, now saying that my research on GSP led me to believe they are great sporting dogs but love their people too, and would get lonely if left outside by themselves for the majority of the day. Even our breeder and our trainer had the dogs in crates outside if they were not with the dogs, maybe that provided the dog some sense of security...not sure but I know our 9mnth GSP doesn't like being alone outside even now..he loves however being outside with us or with our German Shepherd.