Over excitement Questions

Discussion in 'Scottish Terrier' started by MikeD, Apr 20, 2018.

1. MikeD

MikeD New Member

Name:
    Michael

Over excitement

Hi we have a lovely 5 month old Scottie female, when ever she meets another dog she goes absolutely bonkers. She is so excited and wants to play but how mad she is, other dogs tolerate so much and then tell her off. If we try to move her away she starts to growl and bark, she is not aggressive just seems to play very roughly and will not stop.This is now preventing family visiting with their dogs. Will she grow out of it or should we see a behaviourist. Any body have advice please.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Hi Michael, welcome to the forum.
    Have you considered puppy training classes where she will be able to learn some self control in the presence of other puppies? A behaviourist, or a positive methodology trainer, should be able to show you a variety of techniques to interrupt hyperactive play, to shift the focus of her attention onto yourself, and to for your puppy to begin to learn to respond to some basic commands. Is she crate trained? If so, you could use this to give your visitors a break from her attention.
    She is still very young and I don't think she sounds really aggressive. Terriers have inherent characteristics which are related to their original function. To me, she sounds more like a little girl who needs to learn some boundaries, and to find some more appropriate outlets for her energy.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Hi & welcome
    What a shame you are not enjoying your pup as much as you had hoped.....yet !
    She is still very young and doing what pups do, cause havoc. She doesn’t know how you want her to behave until you teach her. It’s very early day for you all, as Carole suggest training classes would be a great place to start.
    We crate trained our dog, I know it’s not for everyone, but, for us it was fantastic, there are some great articles on the Internet that teach you how to get the best from using one, it’s not just a matter of throwing them in !
    Let us know how you progress
    There are so many people on this site which offer speedy, quality advice, so, ask anything you want, don’t struggle
    Some phots would be lovely too
    Philippa
  5. MikeD

MikeD New Member

Name:
    Michael
    Hi Carole & Philippa
    Many thanks for the replie, we did start to go to classes but had to leave as "Aggie" would not settle it was a constant struggle to calm her down we were worried that she would burst under the excitement. We will pursue avenues.
    MikeD
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Mike and Aggie - Tikva and I also welcome you to Breedia :039:

What I do not understand is your expression that you "were worried that she would burst under the excitement."

Dogs do not "burst" so can you please explain what you meant? :)
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It’s just a manor of speech.
    IE: burst with excitement
    To be so filled up with enthusiasm as to be unable to contain it.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Find whatever motivates her (food/ball etc) and then save it only for walks, when out walking keep an eye out for her triggers and, before she's had a chance to notice it and go berserk, take whatever it is out and get her focused on you by playing . Once her attention is on them, you've already lost the battle, If necessary, simply turn her around and walk the other way if she is already focused.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you Vee - I honestly had forgotten that meaning of "burst" :oops: