Patterdales - what are they like? General Chat

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by Moobli, Sep 8, 2006.

1. shadow_the_staff

shadow_the_staff New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    weirdly enough, because I've met his breeder! :mrgreen: So I know hes a patterdale.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    & his breeder allowed him to go into a rescue kennels ??

One of the GSDs I bred was dumped in a rescue kennels he was there for all of two hours before I collected him & brought him home-I didn't rehome him he stayed with me for the rest of his life-If he had been rehomed I would have arranged it personally not left it to a rescue
  4. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Great post stevey
    Patterdales should have plenty of exercise maybe best to look in to more a terrier that is better kept as a pet?
    Staffordshire bull terrier etc
  5. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Good on you, shame there is not more breeders out there who do that
  6. patterlad

patterlad New Member

Name:
    Steve Rogers
    Hayley you are so right.Staffords do make very good pet dogs and are good with kids.A SBT is a great family dog ,still need alot of excercise mind like any dog but has no real hunting instince in the blood.Well not as much as most terriers.
  7. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    So true stevey
  8. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Why were they used in the past breeding of patterdales then ?(according to Patterdale Terrier book they were used to produce the Patterdale)
  9. patterlad

patterlad New Member

Name:
    Steve Rogers
    Because staff and english bulls were used for fighting dogs and will fight to the death.Mr Brian Nuttalls put bull blood into Patterdales so that they had more chance up against a fox and better jaw power.It really had nothing to do with working instince ,just really to put some strenght and power into the breed.
  10. shadow_the_staff

shadow_the_staff New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    His breeder gave him away, to a good home he believed. Then he escaped from his owner, and ended up in a rescue centre 45 miles away, were I got him. Its weird I know. :roll: :smt002

Whats weirder is that I met his breeder when I was out walking him in my local park, he looked a bandit and staight away said "i bred him", went into a story bout how he's the spit of his old dog "tiny" that had 7 pups, and had been stolen recently, I though "yeah ok, course you bred him" :roll: , but we carried on talking as we were walking around the park, he had a lovely puppy staffy, and just before I left he said to me "you know how he got that scar above his left eye?", now the scar above bandits eye is TINY, about half cm if that, you wouldnt see it, just walking by him, not to mention bandit was on a 3m extendable lead at the time. "my wife's yorkie bit him when he was a pup". There is NO WAY he would know about that scar, unless it was one of his pups, he couldnt believe it when I told him I had him from a rescue, he abviously believed hed homed all his pups well. Its a small world........
  11. Catmelodian

Catmelodian New Member

Name:
    John
    Speaking from my own experience of Patterdale ownership I absolutely adore them. Granted, I've only met a few other than my own but I love what I see. 'Sparky' (my own) has a very strong prey instinct and will chase & kill anything (wild) with fur or feather, but seems to display no interest in sheep or other domestic animals (apart from an incident with a friends chicken) . On walks he is well behaved and his sole interest seems to be digging in rabbit burrows. However he's very well behaved with other dogs and has never exhibited aggression in their company. In the company of children and strange adults he's been superb, but will bark at the slightest noise heard outside the house.
    But best of all - he is such a loving animal. Each morning when we open the kitchen door he jumps all over us like he has'nt seen us for a week! He is definately a 'Duracell' dog however and needs constant attention and lots & lots of excercise. :) High maintenance.
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    All my Borders are show bred and all work and have worked, NONE of them are laid back, well balanced and mentally and physically sound yes, but a "laid back" Border is not what a breeder with genuine interest in the breeds history would strive for, they may be viewed as breeding from dogs that can only be classed as a pet, which of course a Border is not.
    Dawn.
  13. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    That's George next door to a T Really good watchdog Loves me mind you can't be because I give him chicken as treats of course :smt002
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks again to everyone for their opinions. I have passed them on.
  15. kitcatcandy

kitcatcandy New Member

Name:
    Cat
    Patterdales, love em!

I am owned by a Patterdale called Lolly. Shes a lovely dog, but very hard work. Her recall is very bad, and she can get very over excited and reactive, especialy if taken to a new area. But on her normal walk and at home she is a lovely dog, energetic out of the house and in the garden, but quiet in the house. Brilliant with kids and strangers. But loves a rough and tumble with us. Very much part of the pack when we are all home and loves to pile up on the sofa in the evening. Can be funny with other dogs, but ok withj carefull introductions. Easy to train tricks, especialy with clicker training. Strong scent and prey drive. Like to bury things in the garden! I love her, and when we first got her said i would never have another patterdale, but now we have an understanding, i would consider another.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  16. Erin

Erin New Member

Name:
    erin
    I have 2 lakeland x patterdale pups (6 months) and they are fantastic dogs.Much more obediant than than our old jackrussel or yorkshire terrior that we had.They are verry quick learners,but you do have to train them hard and be very firm with them.They get bored very quickly so lots of different toys are needed to keep them stimulated and LOTS of exercise as my 2 seem to have endless amounts of exercise.My babies are a pleasure and are very affectionate and loyal,I will definatly have this breed of dog again.My 2 are fantastic with kids and other dogs,I know I made the right choice having this breed.They are fab little guard dogs too!!!They only prob we having with ours is with our cat which for some reason only started last week after 4 months of living peacefully together!!!!!!
  17. vicky h

vicky h New Member

Name:
    vicky
    i own a patterdalexlakeland and although very boystrus he is a great pet i also own a ****zu and they get on quite well i have three young children 12 8 3 and he is fine with them my son who is 12 is going to take him out in the summer to see what his real terrier skills are like he is 7mths old at the moment and we are training him to walk on the lead without pulling so my son will be ok on his own with him so i would say they are great dogs if you have the time to walk them and have open fields around
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks for everyone's responses - I have passed them on. The lady concerned is still finding out about patterdales and borders before making any final decision.
  19. them2

them2 New Member

Name:
    phil
    i have a patterdale, he is a fantastic dog, excellent when he meets people and other dogs away from the home, but very territorial at home, i have him as a pet, not to work, he is not yappy and he is very playful[​IMG][/IMG]
  20. them2

them2 New Member

Name:
    phil
    and this is alfie in his car seat bltIMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/them1902/alfiehemingway.jpg[/IMG]
  21. them2

them2 New Member

Name:
    phil
    [​IMG][/IMG]