Peeing problem Questions

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by CK1, Mar 16, 2016.

1. CK1

CK1 New Member

Name:
    Callie

Peeing problem

Hi Everyone, thankyou for your responses on my introduction.I picked up my rescue Shar-Pei, Lily, last Friday so have only had her a few days. I bought a harness for her and she walks well with it. We are still getting to know each other of course and she's been an absolute angel so far and I know it's the best thing I have done. I know there will be a few issues as she was dumped, emaciated, close to death and had tick related illness when she was taken to the sanctuary but I do have a pee question that I'm concerned about! We walk 2 or 3 times a day, we go for long walks and at the end she gets time to sniff and play but first thing in the morning and last thing at night I take her out opposite our place where there is a large grassy area close to the ocean. My concern is that she will only pee over another dogs urine or poop. She lifts her leg like a male and squats over and does a short marking pee. I've never seen her pee properly on her own just because she needs one. When I take her out in the morning at at night she just sits and looks at me and wont go. We live in Cyprus in a remote area where there is no lighting at night so I would really like here to go in our garden or the patch of land opposite last thing at night but it's not happening. She doesn't go in the house and is eating and drinking well. I'm just concerned that she is holding it in, I have to take her for a long walk where she's will only do several short mark pees and wondered if anyone has any suggestions or comments please?

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    I have had a couple of bossy bitches which cocked their legs, but would say that they still passed normal amounts of urine. The anointing of what other dogs have excreted is almost certainly her way of announcing her presence in the area, but as long as she is drinking enough she must be able to lose that fluid somehow.
    Is it very hot in Cyprus at present? Do you think she could be losing water by panting?
    Do you think there is a possibility that she has a secret pee place in the garden, and only territory marks outside?
    How concentrated is the urine that you see her pass? If it is very strong, I would tempt her to drink more by giving her some extra flavoured drinks.

I hope Barbara will advise if there are any conditions particular to Shar Pei.
    If you are really worried, I would catch a morning sample, and take it to the vet.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Is she always on lead when she 'goes'? If so, you could try walking her round the garden on lead.

Do you have a friend with a dog that could 'mark' in a couple of spots in your garden? That may also tempt her to 'go' there
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    What can I tell you?

In my experience of owning 2 female Pei, I've found that they have bladders the size of an Olympic swimming pool! M'boi my first one didn't like to do her "business" if she thought she was being watched and would always go to the top of the garden and do it behind a tree or under a hedge. If for any reason she needed to go whilst we were out walking she'd drag me into the nearest long grass and do it there!

Georgina isn't so particular, but it's very rarely she has a pee outside the garden, she'd rather hold it until she gets home. She does do a lot of sniffing though, so much so I tell everyone one we go on "sniffing expeditions", not a walk! When she and my Schnauzer boy are in the garden he'll follow her around and pee on top of her pee and he'll sniff her fresh poo, before doing a poo next to her fresh one! And on a walk, he stops every few minutes has a sniff then cocks his leg and squeezes a few drops out to mark his territory!

It could be simply that she's still getting used to you and the new territory and routine, but as CaroleC suggests I''d monitor her and if you're still not happy then consult your vet.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Rescue dogs can sometimes have fear of going toilet in garden, specially if they have been yelled at or beaten for going in their previous owners gardens.
    Other reasons could be that she might be coming into season if not spayed or thinks she's coming into season if already spayed & therefore could be scenting for male dogs letting them know by 'P-Mail' that's she's getting ready to be mated, other reason is masking dominant female/male dogs wee with her scent & in doing so is claiming that area as her territory & telling them stay to away.