Pekes not as popular? Discussions

Discussion in 'Pekingese' started by Luke, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

Pekes not as popular?

Anyone else noticed how pekes don't seem to be as popular or commonplace as they once were anymore?
    We had one when I was tiny, he was quite old then and my mother inherited him from her mother when she passed...Ollie was a cream, a bit sturdier than the ones Ive seen at shows lately. But I remember a few people having pekes then, and olly had come from my gran who always had them for decades. They seem to of been once quite popular? But now not so much?
    I wonder why, I find them very sweet. Some.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Not sure it changed at all, I know people with pekes now, and knew people with them yrs ago, they don`t seem to have gone either way on the scale as far as I am aware.
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Dont see many ...But then again did i ever?? ..
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I have never known anyone with a Peke ... except Mrs Pumphrey of course :lol:
  6. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    We had three when I was a child. First a male called Bernie, then when he went, a mother and daughter called Lady and Suzie.

They were my dad's pride and joy, but the family moved from the three bedroom house to a flat and they were rehomed.

It was the only time I saw my dad cry..... :cry:
  7. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I really really really dont like them at all..their faces freak me out
  8. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    My thoughts exactly :lol: I have never met one in the flesh so to speak.
  9. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Why ..lol

Do you feel the same about Boston's , French bulldogs and pugs ?just curious not having a go...
  10. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    Pugs freaky, everything else fine ;-)

(I am sure there is someone somewhere thinking the same about my Roughie!)
  11. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    A few years ago a friend of mine adopted a 10 year old Peke called PingPong. A lovely boy who sadly died of cancer. There are a couple of Pekes in the small town where I live.

Chloe my Tibetan Spaniel has been mistaken for a Peke because the two breeds look very similar. Tibbies though don't have such a "squashed in" muzzle and their coat is longer and silkier. Of the two breeds I much prefer the Tibbie because they have relatively few health problems and are far more lively than Pekes.
  12. ailsas mum

ailsas mum New Member

Name:
    Ann
    They seem to be the breed of choice around here so much so that they all meet up in one of the local parks regularly, I think there were over a dozen at the last one, I try to avoid them as they run riot.
  13. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm

If you look at photos of early Peke Champions they look more like Tibetan Spaniels than modern-day Pekes.

My neighbour had Pekes when I was small - I remember when we moved she gave me a Peke ornament which I had for years.
  14. SarahJade

SarahJade New Member

Name:
    SJ
    I have only ever seen 2, both I could hear their breathing even though it was fairly cool and they were only walking along on extendibles, both with different owners and a few years apart.

I will admit I am not a massive fan of these dogs, but I do like pugs and some of the other squashed faces, but that is more my view of their personality and I don't really like the squashed face look on any dog. Would always have a pug cross with a longer muzzle over a pug.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2012
  15. Luke

Luke New Member

Maybe it was just here then, they used to seem a lot more popular as the choice of "flat faced" small breed, maybe they've bene replaced a bit in those stakes by shi-tzu's now.
  16. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    My great aunt had them 50 years ago all I remember is they nipped if you walked past "their" chair.:009:

Knew someone with one called Schmichael and he was a cracker ran with her BCs.

Apart from at shows those are the only ones I've ever seen:)
  17. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    a friend had one 5 years ago, must say never ever seen anyone with one now as a pet.
  18. Tammy1976

Tammy1976 New Member

Name:
    Tammy
    I'm not so keen on the unshaved ones, I think they look far better shaved.

About 5 years ago was the last time I saw one at a fun dog show and his owner never stopped fluffing and combing him! He was obsessed with his little chap looking perfect. Funny thing was my unbathed, ungroomed fat little pug won best in show even after pee'ing up the judges leg lol

I am a fan of squashed up faces though just not the "cousin It" look haha :D
  19. miz66

miz66 New Member

Name:
    Miranda
    I must admit I haven't seen one in years, my dad's gran had one when I was very little can't really remember it though, the only other one I saw was when I went to collect my Yorkie there was one amongst loads of diffirent breeds the breeder had as pets along with a 17 year old Pom.
  20. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I'm in my sixties, and certainly when I was a little girl pekes seemed to be the dog choice for old ladies! (Only time I'm ever been bitten was by Lulu, an elderly neighbour's peke).

I cannot remember the last time I've seen one. Still lots of old ladies about, of course (including me) and lots of them have toy breeds, but not pekes.
  21. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    I really don't like them, i've seen one at a train station once.

I don't know why i dislike them, i like pugs, frechies, japanese chins etc!