Pekingese breeders - London Area? General Chat

Discussion in 'Pekingese' started by misdilo, Oct 9, 2012.

1. misdilo

misdilo New Member

Name:
    Elodie

Pekingese breeders - London Area?

Hello everyone!

I am new here and absolutely lost as for where I could buy good pekingese pupies around london. I don't know a lot about dogs but we had pekingese in the past (Lucky and princess) and are now looking to buy a male and female to form a couple. Could anyone give me hints or a good breeder they know?

Many thanx for any help!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. baranduin

baranduin New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Look up the breed club.
    Also the Kennel club has a puppy register and lists of breeders.
    Louise
  4. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    What do you mean by ' a couple?'
  5. Dobionekenobi

Dobionekenobi New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I hope you don't mind me saying this, but if you don't know a lot about dogs I would suggest you do a lot of reading up on whether you really want a puppy and whether a pekingese is really the right breed for you. Also, taking on two pups at the same time is a big responsibility. Are you sure you want to make a difficult task harder for yourself? By "couple" do you mean you want them to be friends or are you wanting to breed from them?

As Baranduin said, go to the Kennel Club website. They have a full list of breeders and available puppy lists so you can contact them. That and plenty of reading up on the subject is a good place to start.

Welcome to Dogsey - there's a lot of help and advice here if you want it :)
  6. misdilo

misdilo New Member

Name:
    Elodie
    Hello guys, many thanks for the information and advice.

As I said, we already have two other pekingese so my mind is quite made up about the breed. When I say I dont know much about them, I am thinking about the art of buying them and the technical issues related. For instance, when I say couple and you guys get lost. lol (Yes I meant breeding them).

As we are a big family of 6 taking care of them, love, good food, exercise and Vet have never been a problem, that's why we feel we could take the two together.

Many thaks again guys, I will check out Kennel straight away! :grin:
  7. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Breeding is not for the novice ... It is not normal to just buy two dogs with the intention of breeding them, as they mature, they may not be suitable for breeding .... You also have said you are not an expert ...

Do you also plan to show?

No good breeder is likely to sell you two dogs for breeding.
  8. misdilo

misdilo New Member

Name:
    Elodie
    Hello Muddywarx,

Again I don't know if I am using the wrong words but they are not for show neither for selling their puppies later! we just love dogs and have had seven at the same time for years (german sheperds, pekingese and labradors). We dont sell them and we never felt we needed to be like experts to be able to take care of them. I was just saying I don't know all the technical terms. Why is it not normal to buy the two? we don't mind having the house full of puppies in few years!

We are not "farming" them or anything! They are just going to be part of our family and that's all!
  9. Dobionekenobi

Dobionekenobi New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Also, please reassure me that you are not planning on buying two from the same litter and breeding them together?
    I am a little confused because if you have owned over 7 dogs for several years, including Pekingeses already, it does sound like you're a pretty experienced dog owner already! I'm not sure exactly what you're wanting us to assist you with. What does the "art of buying" or the "technicalities" mean? You can pick my brains as much as you like but I'm a little lost as to how to help :)
    The Kennel Club website also has a lot of information on buying a puppy in general as well as the breeds and breeders so again, that's proabbly the best place to start.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  10. misdilo

misdilo New Member

Name:
    Elodie
    Hi Dobionekenobi,

I am the oldest of my siblings and for the 25 years of my life, dad bought all our dogs. So I do know how to take care of them, but not how to choose them when buying or anything related to that. Also, the family house (and everyone else, including the dogs) are still in Africa were I am from. So, It is my first time buying them at all and I was unsure where to look for in a city like london. That's pretty much it!

Even if both were form the same breeder, I wouldn't take related puppies because they are intended to live as a couple.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  11. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Dogs don't live as couples though ....
    They would breed every season from when the butch was still a baby - within 2 years you could have 30 Pekes .... I know you like them but who would want so many? And keeping litter mates is unwise:(
  12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    misdilo - As you are new to dogs in the UK and live in London, I cannot think of ANY better way to start off than by visiting Discover Dogs at Earl's Court on 10/11th November.

You will get to see all breeds, and meet their owners & breeders, have a chance to talk about them and ask about health testing. Many dog breeds including Pekes have inherited diseases which can be avoided if their breeders test the parents, so this would be the best chance of learning about how to buy a healthy dog in the UK.

You might see a different breed that suits you better - do have a look at Tibetan Spaniels - they are not a true spaniel, but are much like the Pekingese dogs of yesteryear, with fewer health issues and nowhere near as much coat to groom.

I doubt anyone can offer you better advice than has already been given - but a visit to Discover Dogs will be a super day out, and might be the answer to all your questions.