Pekingese - Does any one have experience with this breed? General Chat

Discussion in 'Pekingese' started by mac82, Jan 24, 2012.

1. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82

Pekingese - Does any one have experience with this breed?

can anyone tell me anything about this breed?? my other half is falling in love with them!!!!
    does anyone have one or had one, good bad and anything in between would be appreciated!!:grin: :grin: :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Luke

Luke New Member

When I was born we had amidst the assorted pack, an ageing pekingese. He was a cream boy, not as flat faced as many seen today, and mum inherited him from her mother when she died a few years beforehand. He was lovely, a very cheeky dog by all accounts and happy aslong as just involved in things going on, not a persnickity lapdog as many perceive (he'd been ym deceased grandmothers persnickity lapdog but when came to live with my parents and an amble of staffords and dobes it would seem he had to learn to be a "real dog" asap). Very headstrong though, I quite like them but a lot of the health problems associated with the breed today would put me off.
  4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    If the health issues put you off, look at Tibetan Spaniels instead. They are much like the Pekes of old, and have shorter coats, not as flat faces, and enjoy quite a bit of exercise. they are real characters and I have a little bit of a soft spot for them.
  5. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82
    yes i personally am likeing the tibetans and french bulldogs, also looking at peke crosses potentially too, looking at peke rescue, but i wouldnt imagine many would come through there!!
    but always worth trying.
    thanks for the advice we are going to crufts to pin down a peke person at discover dogs stands, feel sorry for them already!!! he he he
    cant wait very excited!
  6. Luke

Luke New Member

There are some moderate pekes still, two parti colours at discover dogs last year stick out as being fantastic with faces not too pushed in. It just seems as years go on these more moderate dogs are becoming fair and few between
  7. alfiebowen100

alfiebowen100 New Member

Name:
    KJ
    Never had one! I think the rescue center i worked at had one before i joined them!
  8. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    My Sister wanted one as a child. The one that springs to mind is the amazing "Tricki-Woo" from the James Herriot dog books.
  9. ljru1970

ljru1970 New Member

Name:
    ljru1970
    Ha ha :grin: Owned by Mrs Pumphrey....
  10. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    A few years ago my friend bred a couple of litters of pekes in partnership with another friend who also used to groom about 10 owned by the same client. They are delightful little dogs - heart of a lion with the brain of a sparrow. :lol:

Only one of them was a more moderate type than the completely flat faced balls of hair that are so in vogue nowadays. She was by far the nicest looking dog to my eyes and looked very much like an old fashioned peke with a silky coat and general appearance like a compact version of a Tibetan Spaniel. She was also the only one that wasn't incredibly fiddly/time consuming to groom and didn't pee all over that long coat. Short legs and a profuse coat are a design fault when it comes to keeping clean after a tinkle. :lol: If you want a dog you have to wash the bottom of every day to avoid it smelling, a modern peke is for you. If not, I'd recommend the Tibbie instead as they are a lovely breed with all the good points of pekes but not the bad ones.
  11. misdilo

misdilo New Member

Name:
    Elodie

Hello,

Would you have hints about a good breeder of pekingese around london please?

Many thanks