Pennie's heel and retrieve. Training

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by SLB, Jul 25, 2012.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

Pennie's heel and retrieve.

Hope it's alright to put this here. Apologies for the jamas!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    Very nice heel work and good retrieve. Just a couple of things I do a little bit differently with my pups when they are at that age. I keep the dog on the lead when i throw the dummy and I also blow the whistle just to reinforce the sit. I know you want to build drive but at the same time I wouldn't want to set the dog up to fail by putting her in a sit which she most likely will break if she is not yet steady to thrown dummies. But that's just my way of training, there are many, many other ways ....
  4. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    .... oh yeah, and I never ever train in my jimjams:grin: :shock:
  5. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Nice, loved the heelwork!!! :grin:
  6. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Coming along well for a pupster. Hmmm, not sure about the PJ's though!
  7. spockky boy

spockky boy New Member

Name:
    qwerty
    Coming along nicely!
  8. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    she's so clever!

I wouldn't worry about the PJs, i often ride in mine, and once in some 'peas on earth' (google it) pj bums i ran out of petrol on my way back from dropping my mum off at the airport.... that was a brilliant trip to BP!
  9. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I meant to whistle the sit. It's just remembering..

Meh, my neighbours can't see me and they were comfortable :D

Thank you :) She was showing off her retrieve in class tonight. Linda the trainer was showing them how to teach the dogs to give and then waved at me to show them a proper retrieve. She has so much faith, I only said I wanted to try a bit, I was a bit nervous she wouldn't do it with that bl**dy Westie yapping it's damn head off! But she did.

Thank you - beats your jammies!

Thank you :)

I used to walk to the shop in my PJ's :016:
  10. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    haha i was standing in the queue with loads of people in suits!!! must buy electric car haha
  11. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I don't get all the fuss. I could if I was in a black lace babydoll, but Pj's :lol:
  12. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    How is her hunting coming on? I know she is half springer.
  13. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    See I don't really know how to teach her hunting. I am on a gundog forum but I don't really understand it. I can't really afford a trainer. Although I may stop the obedience to do some - but they're all so far away! But she is better than her brother - I didn't really rein him in so his hunting is brill.. but it's never near me. Pennie stays within about 10 feet of me at all times so she should be easier.

You have to remember Louie was my first gundog and I made a lot of cock-ups with him. I'm still learning.
  14. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    What are you intending to do with your dogs? Are you doing gundog training for fun or do you want to work the dogs? If you want to go beating or rough shooting then it is essential that the dogs are working very close to you. Just a few yards either side of you and no more than a yard or two in front of you.
  15. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Bit of both really. The plan is that my friend gets a permission to shoot and then my dogs will be there to pick up for him. I'd like to do some wildfowling with my boy. But mainly it's for fun. But they are from working lines so it would be a waste.
  16. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    Get permission to shoot as in rough shooting on someone's land? Then you will need a dog working within range, no good having a dog ranging far and wide and putting up game that is out of range for the gun.
    The trouble is that one of your dogs has already learnt to hunt a fair distance away from you, if you let your pup run with him out on walks she will soon pick up the same habit.
  17. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Actually I thought that, took her out on her own yesterday and she stayed fairly close. She stays close anyway. Besides there are only a few walks where he can range out quite far safely. Our regular walks he can't do that because it's not safe. He will stay close..
  18. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    If you tell me what it is you don't understand I might be able to explain it to you. Do you roughly know what sort of distance from yourself you are aiming to work the dog at? I personally keep my dogs very, very close during training sessions because once they get on to game they will naturally range out a little bit further. But if you start off by letting them range too wide and too far ahead of you then you will have a massive problem reigning it in later on.
    Tennis balls close around your feet in long grass for your dog to find is a good way to start.
  19. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Thats the way I've been shown to do it. But I need some tennis balls :lol: I'll give it a shot when I get some though :)
  20. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Ah the wonders of tennis balls lol glad its not just me who uses them! :lol:
  21. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    You need dogs like mine who emerge from the strangest of places with a tennis ball in their mouth which they have found. It's surprising where people fling the things, seems i'm not the only one with a really crap aim when I throw!