Personality of a Dachshund? Behaviour

Discussion in 'Dachshund (Miniature Smooth Haired)' started by Gazmo, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Gazmo

Gazmo New Member

Name:
    Grace
    Azz likes this.

Personality of a Dachshund?

Hey, SOrry to ask another question but yeah hehe :3

Im thinking about getting a dachshund but my familly also have a cocker spaneil.
    Ive read some things about sausage dogs liking attention and we dont want our spaniel to be pushed out as she is quite shy.

So do you think its a good idea or if i should look elsewhere? x

Also, id just like to hear some people experiences of their temperment :) like what their personalities are like? x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Like a lot of breeds it is according to the lines.
    Some are major cuddle bugs, and some are very independent.

You would need to talk to the breeder as to the parents temperament, this would give you a general ideal.

GF from a long time ago had one and it was a bundle of energy that love everyone and to play with other animals. It would run the St. B, I had at the time, till he just gave up and played dead after a hour, soon as he move the Dachshund was right on him to play again.
  4. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Please remember there is a huge difference between a dog that always needs attention and a cuddle/Velcro dog.

Attention dogs always want you to interact with them.
    A cuddle/Velcro dog just wants to be with you and generally touching you.

Attention dogs are more likely, to have a issue with other dogs, cuddle generally don't care as long as they are with you, and the other does not pose a threat to you.
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    They are definitely big dogs in little bodies :lol:

Check out the breed info for some great information: Dachshund Breed info
  6. Gazmo

Gazmo New Member

Name:
    Grace
    Thankyou guys! X
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The first thing you need to remember is they are hounds, and will have a hound mentality...i.e go hunting.

Then what type are you interested in, smooth or wire haired, mini or standard, they are all different to a degree, but generally they are big dogs in little bodies and have the attitude to go with it, and like to stick their nose to the ground and go hunting/
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Two major things to be aware of, in both standard and miniature Daxies, and which need checking whether the sire and dam have these problems in their background.

The first is spinal problems, although that frequently does not show up in ancestry but is fairly common in long-backed short-legged dogs.

The second is epilepsy and Lafora disease, which is a later onset of a type of epilepsy, neither of which can be tested for in a prospective dam or sire but both of which will show up in their background - assuming that the breeder is aware of the fact and decides not to mention it.
  9. Gazmo

Gazmo New Member

Name:
    Grace
    thanks :) Theres a woman who breeds them near me and her website says that she socailises them in her home with other dogs, small rodents, reptiles and kids, do you think this woulld mean they would be ok with my small animals? x

And thankyou Malka, i will make sure to ask her about them, i have heard of the spinal problems and epilepsy so ill take note of Lafora :)
    I want to be really careful with this, i need as much info as possible :3
  10. Jess Adams

Jess Adams New Member

Name:
    Jess
    Hello!

@Gazmo, did you ever decide on whether you wanted to get a Dachshund or not? I know this post is from a while back but I really hope you did!

We welcomed Whinnie into our home around a year ago now and it's been the best decision we've ever made. We were a little concerned about their temperament because we have a little 5 year old, but she's been as good as gold!

This post was quite reassuring if you need any more information

xxxxx
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As the OP has not been back since February 2015 I doubt you will get any answer from her. However I have just noticed my post on this thread and find it almost unbelievable that just a couple of months after later I had lost my beloved Pereg - the epilepsy she had finally won - and ended up a few weeks afterwards with a Dachshund/Minpin cross - a 3-week old unweaned one at that!

Tikva's dam was a Standard Dachshund, sire a randy little Minpin, so although Tikva looks very much like a Dachshund she does not have such a long back and her legs are longer, so I do not have the worry of any spinal problems with her. And as she will be 7 years old in three months time I have stopped worrying about possible epilepsy or Lafora now, although after Pereg I am still on seizure watch.

Is Whinnie a Standard or a Miniature? She looks like a Standard from your avatar but it is difficult to tell from just a headshot - I would love to see more pictures of her, so please post some for us.