Piper issues. Questions

Discussion in 'Rottweiler' started by Parough, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    Rottweilers are wonderful dogs! All puppies have "issues." You are throwing too much at her, too soon - at 12-weeks-old, she should learn to respond to the clicker, her name, touch a target object, sit and down. It’s natural behavior for puppies to bite. Research positive reinforcement. "No" isn't something that needs to be taught and puppies can't effectively learn how to "come" on command until they are 15-weeks-old. You are asking too much of her at too young of an age! She is not getting mad at you, she is frustrated from lack of understanding. Focus on age appropriate commands, use positive reinforcement, don't expect a 12-week-old puppy to be housebroken and be patient.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    @Boerboel - Piper is now 5 months old, not 12 weeks [Message #17] - I think you are answering the first post in the thread. :)
  4. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    Yes, you must have read my first post, when she was 12 weeks. We have moved along with great results in the 3 months I've had her. She is a very active dog, and loves learning new things.
  5. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    She was diagnosed by the stool sample, but she didn't tell me what kind she had. She treated her with Drontal plus. This isn't my usual vet, but of course it was on sat. and there was only 2 open that day. The breeder said he gave her her first shots and wormed her, but I doubt he did the parents, because when I bought her home, never in my life, had I ever seen (adults or pups) that had so many worms! I can't remember why I thought they were roundworms, but I treated her at least 4-5 times. There would be a short span, when I didn't see any, then they would show up again. I've been trying to get ahold of the breeder to see if any of the other pups, or parents showed any signs of this. He bred his bitch 4 times, without break! Poor dog. I'll post if I find anything out. Thanks.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    Patty, it seems fairly obvious that the "breeder" is a byb - breeding a bitch four times in a row? I doubt any shots and wormers were given to Piper and if I were you I would not attempt to contact the "breeder".

A puppy does need treating for round worms very regularly from when they are very young so whatever you gave her and how many, would not have harmed her. I would suggest giving her Drontal Plus every three months until she is a year old, then every six months. Make sure you give her the correct number of pills because weight makes a difference. Little One [Lexi] always had one, twice a year after she was a year old whereas Pereg, who started on one, ended up with two tablets when her medication caused her to gain weight and she went over 20kg. Little Tikki Tikva started with half a tablet but without checking her card I am not sure whether she had half or a whole one last time.

You can get flavoured Drontal Plus tablets but my vet only carries the regular ones. If the dog is at his surgery when it needs one he keeps a small tin of tasty dog food, scoops out a bit and puts the pill in it. Tikva does not go to the surgery - the only time she did was when she was spayed - so she has them poked down her throat when my vet comes here. He is due at the end of March to give her her Parkworm shot, then three months later it will be booster time, Parkworm shot time, and Drontal Plus time!
  7. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    What do you think of the product "Revolution"? It's a monthly chewable pill for fleas, ticks and heartworm prevention? I am going to make an appt. With my regular vet to see if he can do more tests, and maybe narrow it down, hopefully. The ONLY reason I would call the "breeder" is, I wanted to know if any other, of the many puppies, has any symptoms like hers..
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    We do not have heartworm here so I have no personal knowledge of "Revolution" and AFAIK it is not available here. I had a quick look about it at via Google but I think it would be better to discuss it with your Vet. However, it does not kill tapeworm and as Piper could pick up something in the woods, she could re-infect herself with it. So you would still need Drontal Plus as a wormer.

We do not have heartworm here but what we do have now as it has travelled down from the centre of the Country to this area, is Parkworm, which requires shots every three months for life. For fleas and ticks I use Frontline Plus spot-on on the 1st of every month, except for December and February.

I am so lucky that my vet comes here. He used to with Little one after seeing me struggling to get from the taxi with my manual chair with her to take her to the surgery, and also with Pereg until she had to have three-monthly blood tests and other check-ups which could only be done at the surgery. When I first brought Tikva home he gave her care to his then assistant vet, and she used to call in on her way to the surgery in the mornings. When she left Ram took over and calls in on his way home - he finishes at 3.pm and another vet takes over. Ram is the boss and I adore him!
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I can't stand behind worming every 6 months prophylactic style. My dogs get a fecal test once a year. Never shows worms so I don't worm them. Tapeworm generally comes from fleas.
  10. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    I realize she had worms, and I was treating her for the wrong ones, but that issue has been resolved. The main thing I was trying to find out, is what is causing her "episodes/seizures", the vet did a lot of different tests, and couldn't give me any answers. I have documented them, and taken pics.and videos, plus having her seen by 2 different vets., And all they say is that it's definitely not normal behaviour, and there is reason for concern. I have tried to think of anything, with all 4 of them, that I could link them too. The only thing that is related to them, is they always last for about 3 hours, and she becomes listless and unresponsive, but she can move her eyes, and look at me. She is by my side, 95% of the time,every day, and I have never seen anything that she has done, eaten, gotten into...Nothing. I even had my own Dr. Look at the test results today, and he said her blood sugar was a little high,and a few other levels are off, but one of the videos I showed the vet,she said shows obsessive/compulsive behavior, and is partial to grand mal seizue episodes. Does this make any sense to anyone? Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough and CaroleC like this.
    ...[snip]... but one of the videos I showed the vet,she said shows obsessive/compulsive behavior, and is partial to grand mal seizue episodes. Does this make any sense to anyone? Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Two vets and all one of them can come up with is that the videos shows obsessive/compulsive behavior, and is partial to grand mal seizure episodes? Obviously I have not seen Piper or the videos but if you had ever seen a dog when they were having a Grand Mal [tonic clonic] seizure you would know it.

The episode, as you describe them, only fit possible mild absence seizures [Petit Mal] although they do not last that long. There are three types of partial seizures and Piper's episodes do not fit any of those. As for OC behavious - a dog suffering from that will do the same thing over and over again. Not just virtually blank out for three hours.

Just out of curiosity, when you showed your own doctor Piper's blood test results, which were the other levels that were off? Did your vet mention them? Do you have a good neurologist you can take Piper to? If you want I will ask on the Epilepsy List if anyone knows of one in your area. Even though it is nearly two years since my beloved Pereg had to be released from the Monster, I am still on the List.

Patty - I do not know what to think. (((hugs)))
  12. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    Two vets and all one of them can come up with is that the videos shows obsessive/compulsive behavior, and is partial to grand mal seizure episodes? Obviously I have not seen Piper or the videos but if you had ever seen a dog when they were having a Grand Mal [tonic clonic] seizure you would know it.

The episode, as you describe them, only fit possible mild absence seizures [Petit Mal] although they do not last that long. There are three types of partial seizures and Piper's episodes do not fit any of those. As for OC behavious - a dog suffering from that will do the same thing over and over again. Not just virtually blank out for three hours.

Just out of curiosity, when you showed your own doctor Piper's blood test results, which were the other levels that were off? Did your vet mention them? Do you have a good neurologist you can take Piper to? If you want I will ask on the Epilepsy List if anyone knows of one in your area. Even though it is nearly two years since my beloved Pereg had to be released from the Monster, I am still on the List.

Patty - I do not know what to think. (((hugs)))[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for your concern. The ones that were Ott were:MVV, Low, Mono,high And GGT, HIGH. In her notes she concluded with "
    P is normal on PE but the videos do demonstrate Obsessive/compulsive behaviours and a partial to grand mal seizure episode.And these were her final notes"
    RL2: 01-28-17 at 3:08p:
    FP1: NSA-called O with result and left a v-mail
    Drontal dewormer 2.5 tabs 22.7 mg tabs PO
    Revolution single dose
    Advise O to use gentle leader, start a puppy class for help socializing and reducing/eliminating dominance behaviours.
    Advise a controlled environment such as a pre-fab kennel run.
    Monitor for continued neurologic abnormalities to determine if further diagnostics are indicated when environmental toxins could be present". She made me feel like I just let her run all over the place, where there is junk cars( none),and dead animals. Yes, we do come across bones sometimes, but I live on 40 acres in the country, that's to be expected, but I don't see where any of that is relevant to her symptoms.Her dominance issues, rarely does she show them to me anymore, it's now focused on guests. She is otherwise a normal, healthy, active puppy who has come a long way since I got her. I'm good with that. It seems to me that the vets keep looking at everything, except for what I need them for! I don't know a good neurologist in my area, and would appreciate it if you could ask on the Eplipsy list for me. Thank-you.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    OK Patty I will ask on the List. It is a US List - not a forum or messageboard as it is all done by emails and although most of the members [all members have to be vetted by the co-owners before they are accepted, because email addresses are shown for people who wish to answer privately and not through the list] are in the US, there are members with epi dogs also on the List from all over the world. Is your location as in your Profile? I presume Or is Oregan - please correct me if I am wrong.

I will check those numbers in the morning when I dig out Pereg's test results [hard copies which I have filed, not on my computer] - but the initials do not ring a bell. I cannot do it this evening [it is coming up to 9.20pm now] as I am trying to wind down after a rather difficult day. My fault - I had forgotten to put my electric chair on charge so the batteries were almost out, and only remembered this morning. So I have had to use my manual chair nearly all day and even though it is very lightweight it is difficult for me to use.

And I think from what the vet has said in her notes that she has never seen a dog having a Grand Mal seizure. Patty - if you have the guts to do it, look on YouTube for a video of a dog having a GM - but it is not pretty. I could look for one and post the link but tbh after Pereg I never want to see another dog in the throes of one again.

I will pass on what information I get back when I get it.

In the meantime, if it is possible, can you possibly find a vet who has a bit more knowledge? I was very lucky with my vet as he is an expert on canine epilepsy, being epileptic himself. He had brain surgery so does not have seizures any more, nor does he need any AEDs [anti-epileptic drugs] so I never needed to take Pereg to a neurologist.

I will send an email to the List now.

(((hugs)))
  14. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    I have made an appt. with my regular(new) vet for next week, and requested to see the main guy. I've heard good things about him, and I sure hope there true, because this is getting costly! Between my health issues and Pipers, we might not eat this month! Just kidding, I. am a person who will make sure my dogs needs come first
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    Patty, I have just sent an email to the List asking if anyone knows of a good neurologist in your area. I described what happens to Piper [as in your message #17] and also the comment by the vet "obsessive/compulsive behavior, and is partial to grand mal seizure episodes.

Also that the vet had said the videos demonstrate obsessive/compulsive behaviors and a partial to grand mal seizure episode.

I kept it brief, saying I was asking for a friend, as it is more likely to get response than some of the long-winded explanations and questions.

- That was quick - I have just had an email from someone on the List answering! She said:

16. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    Thank-you so much♥️
  17. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    I apologize, somehow the name of the place disappeared, when I was thanking you. Will you please send it again? Thanks
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    Oops - sorry - I put it as a quote which, of course, would show up in my message but not if you reply quoting the message itself.

The message from the person on the List was:
    ~~~~~
    Check into Washington State University. They are a veterinarian teaching hospital. I know a lot of people who have taken their pets to them for different things. I took my pup there for seizures .
    ~~~~~
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    Another one but I do not know if it will help you.
    ~~~~~
    Ours is amazing but he is at Summit Hospital in Tacoma Washington. Dr. Demuth.
    ~~~~~
    Patty, most neuros at veterinary hospitals will respond to emails and as I do not know much, if that, about the geography of the US I do not know whether any advice I get from anyone on the List is near you or not.
  20. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    Thank-you for helping me here, I get more useful information from this site, than I do my local vet
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    There are two neuros in Grants Pass - I will post details when you come back online. :)