Please advise 12 week old hates her new puppy food Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Joey Freeman, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Joey Freeman

Joey Freeman New Member

Name:
    Joey

Please advise 12 week old hates her new puppy food

I have a 12 week old roan GSP. She is sweet and wonderful. She's smart as can be and is comming along very well with potty training and many commands.
    My question is I need advice on which puppy food to try? Right now she is on Purina one smart blend healthy puppy formula. She hates it! I supplement her with sweet potatoes, frozen fruit, banannas, apples and carrots. I mostly use those as treats. She gets them two or three times between feedings. They are bite sized pieces so I'm not giving her an entire piece of fruit. Is this normal behavior for a GSP or should I try changing her food?

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    May I ask why you are trying to feed her on food that you say she "hates"? There are hundreds of different dog foods available [I see you are in the US] so maybe

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

can give you some ideas.

Have you spoken to your Vet about her obvious dislike of the food she you are giving her and did you ask her breeder what food she was weaned on? You say she is happy with her "treat" supplements of vegetables and fruit so you could always try her on raw or home-cooked food.

Puppies that age are normally hungry so for her to dislike one particular brand should, I think, have the reason why checked.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    You could try adding a little warm water or weak gravy to the kibble as it may make it smell more appetising. Taste and smell are very closely linked.
  5. Danijoe87

Danijoe87 New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Hi joey I was going to say about a food that I've found for my GSP Ruban but if I'm right are you in Minnasota? I don't know if the company is over there but I've added a couple of pics with the puppy food I give Ruban.
    Hope it helps and if you can't get this stuff look for something similar as this is an all natural food and is from what I understand not full of addatives like purina use.

Attached Files:

6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Agree with all that has been said above. CSJ is a good company, I use their herbal products, but I don't think they have made it to the US yet.
    I am wondering which food your other dog eats, and whether this is more attractive to your puppy than her own Purina. Without knowing the names of US brands, I would look for a food which is wheat and maize free, and has a clearly stated protein source, - fish, turkey, duck or similar - as the main ingredient. Avoid ones with vague sounding ingredients like meat by-products, and meat meal.
    This is arguable, but I don't think it I essential to use a specific puppy food. Maybe for a toy dog, because of the smaller piece size, but a 12 week gundog should be OK on any good quality product. Try Googling, America's Best Dog Foods - there has been a recent list published which I remember did include Origen. Try to get hold of half a dozen samples, and see which she likes best.