PLEASE HELP!!! Is a Cane Corso X Presa Canario classed as a 'dangerous dog' in UK??? Controversial

Discussion in 'Presa Canario' started by Traceyxxx, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    I take it you've done all the necessary health testing that would have been done on whichever breeds made up your dog ?

If not, do you have x-ray vision, beacuse as we all know, many conditions are only detectable this way.

Some crosses ??? Could you please enlighten me as to which crosses are bred for the 'Right' reasons ?

AS I said before, people were pointing out that by buying a designer cross, the dog would not be health tested etc, so to avoid anyone that refuses to acknowledge health problems..............I don't see why that is a problem !!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    to enlighten you to which xs are breed for the right reason....crosses that a breed to be loving, loyal, healthy,
    happy family pets! I COULDNT THINK OF A BETTER REASON!
    So could you enlighten me to what reason british bulldogs have been breed "for the sake of pedigree and standards"
    to have to suffer so many health problems.. through know fault of there own, I mite add...so you think that is o.k then for the sake of pedigree that is a good reason?
    Also you should never asume anything....My dog was hip scored because both the breed he is mixed with can suffer hip problems!
  4. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    But they aren't bred for that reason ! They are bred for money !!! People who cross breed NEVER health test the dogs or prove them to be worthy to continue any lines. Afterall why breed mongrels when there are many fitting your description just waiting for loving homes in rescues !

And I would also assume then, that his parents were hip scored too ??

As for the standard, are you saying that breeding a bulldog with ANYTHING then, is better than being bred with another bulldog ?
  5. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    YES....his parents were both scored...and his score is lower than both of them.
    of course im not saying that breeding a bulldog with anything is better than breeding it to another bulldog!
    Breeding a very large dog to a small bitch is just as cruel as.... breeding a pedigree dog and breeding it to a "standard" that people think looks nice and in turn making the dog suffer and inherite so many health problems.
    that to me is cruel and unnatural!
    And that is all done for money.....1600 a pup!
  6. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    I agree, the point is, no-one here was saying that. All they were saying is go to someone reputable who knows the breed, dont' take chances on people who just breed for money and trust those that health test, which is competely reasonable !!
  7. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    There are already numerous breeds of all sizes and types which are more than `good enough` for that reason for every single person who wants a dog of whatever their preferred characteristics of size, colour, coat type, etc etc

One breed which has been so ruined is not a good reason to breed crosses on purpose, its just a commonly used excuse imo

Hip scoring for cross-breed breeding is pointless. Hip scores for the characteristics of specific breeds, yes, but when the crosses can wildly vary in size and build its a complete nonsense to say its ok because the parents were scored.

If a breeders dogs were good enough to further their own breed, all health tests done specific to that breed, and all other ethics are adhered to, great, but any breeder whose dogs were good enough to further their own breed would never use them for cross-breeding imo, which leads me to conclude that its less than ideal dogs which are used to churn out endless supplies of `designer` crossbreeds - of which rescue`s are always full because of accidental matings as well s deliberately done cross breed matings.

If anyone`s dogs are `good enough` to breed from, then its their own bred they should be improving.
    If you really are concerned about health aspects, surely the same should apply to your own dogs, to use them to better their breeds - only if they are good enough breeding specimens themselves that is, and if they are not then they morally and ethically they should`nt be used for breeding full stop...

Jmo.
  8. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    no one is talkin about breeding or improving there breed the lady asked a simlpe question?
    and someone said why buy a mongrel?....why not if thats what she wants!
    And that a dog that has different breed parents can be just as good dog as a pedigree!
    FACT!!!
  9. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    I think youre missing a valid point, if she want's a cross bred why buy it? And encourage more dilberate cross breeding? Why not go to a rescue and get a cross bred, then at least she has helped the unwanted crossbred population.
    Patch good post.:mrgreen:
  10. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Just as good in what respect ?

Health ? What when crossbreeders never health test !!

Temperament ? Are you seriously saying crossbreeding moneygrabbers actually take this into consideration ?

Breed Standard ? It won't exist in a crossbreed !

I could go on !
  11. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    Yes Malady we could go on:shock: , but we know crossbreed's make good pet's, but purlease why would any breeder worth there salt's go through all the heath testing and then cross breed there dog's it doesn't make sense.?
    The rescue center's and dog's home are full of crossbred's if people want one,why pay the puppy farmer's for misery and just go to rescue.
  12. bajaluna

bajaluna

Name:
    Jayne
    There are quite a few of those here and I dont know why they are NOT on the DD list they are just like rotty sized pit bulls, and in the wrong hands are most dangerous
  13. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    Some of the things about why crosses are not as good as pedigrees are valid for for both types.
    There are breeders of both who dont health test(some cross breeders do) and breed for money.

I have always said if someone wants to breed crosses they should follow the same guidelines as those of pedigrees.

Health test.
    Dont breed dogs with suspect temperaments
    Dont over breed or breed to young.
    Dont breed for money.
    People buying crosses should follow the same guidelines aswell.
    Check both parents have been health tested,
    see the mother and if possible father and grandparents.
    Dont pay over the odds.
    Check the living conditions of the dogs. etc, etc

I put this as there is alot of people out there who wont buy a pedigree for one reason or another. I also think a rescue should be a first point of call.
  14. donkey

donkey New Member

Name:
    ricky

very sensible advice

just to add, why would a show dog be guaranteed to have a good temperament just cos you can parade it round a show ring without it savaging the judge. if some of these show dogs dont live a normal family life like a pet dog does, how do you know how they would react to children,cats,horses etc if they spend their lives in outdoor kennels.
  15. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    It's about the dog being good enough to be 'paraded' without flinching to lots of other dogs of other breeds, complete strangers going over them, their privates and in their mouth, and dealing with the noise, the atmosphere, children loud speakers etc. Most well behaved dogs have problems with many of these issues.

As for being kenneled, most show dogs I know ARE house pets, as are my own, and live with me and our children as normal pets, so I fail to see your point !

As for Horses, many dogs would never encounter one in their lives anyway.

How are your dogs with Giraffes ?
  16. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    I dont show, but the show dogs I have met all lead quite normal lives and are no porblems with what you mentioned.
  17. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    And there alot of pedigree dogs in shelters aswell...
    so why buy one....when you could offer a home to a rescue dog? it works both ways!
    If the lady wants a cross of to the two breeds...which she is prepared to pay for....and is goin to offer them a good home, train them and be a responsible owner, who are any of you to judge her or any one else!
    And as far x's being bred for money.....
    so are alot of pedigree's which are sold to petshops and other cruel out lets!
    Not even to mention about the show breeders that keep two or three pups and then get rid of them when alot older pups when they can chose the best dog for show....is that done for the love of the breed or the animals welfare????
    I dont think so.....
    as far as health testing goes....none of them are a guarentee that your dog will not suffer from any of the illnesses it has been health tested against.....life isnt that simple and know one can tell whats around the corner tested or not!
  18. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    Just been reading this thread and was wondering if the OP ever got the puppy?

TBH I wouldn't fancy a cross of those two particular breeds - they both sound like they are very challenging breeds and a cross of them could turn out to be doubly challenging!

As said earlier, I wouldn't buy a dog from a breeder - I would always go for a resuce (but that's just my preference).

And it's important to remember that the DDA covers type of dog as well as the 4 actual banned breeds.
  19. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    right I have only skimmed through this,, but say for example,, I had a list of people wanting a rott x boxer,,,call it a rottiebox,,,lol, willing to pay fair money, I go to DK with holly she gives me a stud {not that that would ever happen} I have a litter, whats the chance of high levels of cleft palette, or mouth deformitys,,,,bottom line some dogs should just never be x'sd,
  20. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni

That would never happen DK don't have a stud:mrgreen: .
  21. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona

SHURRRRRRRUUUUPPPP, lol just remembered that its all girls she has after I posted,,,,,