Pointer info please... (English Pointer) General Chat

Discussion in 'Pointer' started by Petticoat, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat

Pointer info please... (English Pointer)

I have always loved pointers, my aunt owned a beautiful black and white one, and she was fabulous, but as she was a rescue she had a fear of men wearing gloves, as she used to be beaten by her previous owner's boyfriend when he wore them:evil:
    Well I was a little girl when she died and no-one has had a pointer since and I really like the look of them and as I will add to my gang soon, I am looking at alot of breeds at the moment, including the setters and flatties, but I do keep going back to the pointers as well....
    So can you tell me the good and bad please? Recall tendencies, life span any real health issues and pictures would be fab too:mrgreen:
    Ta!!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Don't know too much about them but there is a lady that comes to agility who breeds them (she also breeds/shows English setters so they evidently make a great combination;)).

She brings one of her girls, Dance, to agility - she is a super dog. She's gentle, well mannered, affectionate and does pretty well at agility, though sometimes she does have 'blond' moments.

Cracking dog - I love her:)
  4. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Just registering my interest in the thread. Am also a huge fan so willl be interested to see what people have to say as am seriously considering them for our next dog (years away though).
  5. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Hi Claire :grin:

As you know, I had Pointers as well as the English & Irish Setters. They all lived in harmony, the pointers have equally steady temperaments but, to my mind, they are more intelligent and more obedient than the setters...well the English Setters anyway.

They won't be content with a soft toy or a chew stick and take it to their bed...you have to continually challenge them, they want the soft toy thrown so they can bring it back to you, whereas the setters just watch where it lands and look at you as if to ask why you threw it and are you going to go and get it for them :lol:

My two although from totally different lines were both scared of loud noises, if there was a storm they would literally cling around your neck and they both ran away or stood trembling when I used the hoover.

They also feel the heat and the cold much more than the setters, they need a warm coat in the winter and a towelling jacket to protect them from the suns rays in the summer, if they are going to be standing around that is.

When I had my girls there were no health tests to be done, unlike the setters, so I would advise you join one of the pointer clubs, or go to the ledgands website and join there. You will be able to find out about current show winners, details of working strains and also lists of litters and older dogs for sale. You can also register on their site if you wish to give a pointer a home ;-)

I'm so sorry you weren't online when I was seeking a home for Tawny as you would definately have had first refusal xx

Heres some piccies for you

Tawny:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lacey (R.I.P.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Oh Sheree, Lacey was a beautiful girl and how I wish I could have had Tawny, her and Dea could have chased butterflies together:lol: :lol:
  7. queeniefarie

queeniefarie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    I love Pointers, if you want advice please contact me and I can give you the name of Quinces breeders, they are very knowledgable about the breed.
  8. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    That second picture of Tawny really helps me see the pointer (her dad) in my Breagh. I think it's the neck as well as the head. Hope you don't mind me adding a couple of pictures to compare.....

Do you see it at all ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I definitely can - in the 'haughtiness' of her head, her tucked up tummy and her tail :)
  10. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Thankyou!:grin:
  11. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Phil, I can definately see the Pointer in Breagh, she is a beautiful girl!:grin: