Pointers? General Chat

Discussion in 'Pointer' started by SLB, May 26, 2011.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

Pointers?

Are they an easy dog to train/keep etc? I'm just doing a lot of research for my future dog.

Which is the easiest pointer? If there is such a thing..
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I`m not sure easy and pointer fit in the same sentence.... :002:
  4. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Yeaah I didn't think that sentence through :lol: But then again I got a working springer x lab - I didn't know what I could get - at least with a pedigree I would know sort of what I was getting into lol.. so not a pointer?
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I know this is not related to this question,but many tears have a litter of english setter crosses just in ,,
    Take a look SLB..
  6. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I have a mental wirehaired pointer. She is a handful. I think the vizlas are the calmest and weiraners the hardest. I don't think any of them are easy though. I'm the sort who likes a challenge though.
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Ok so you are not looking at a Pointer then? Because they belong to the Pointer and Setter Group whereas the "other" pointers belong to the HPR Group:

GSP
    GWP
    GLP
    SRHP

The other members of the HPR group do not have "pointer" in their name but point, so is it an HPR you are considering?
  8. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I know, I know - but NO MORE PUPPIES! Not while Louie is young anyway - I had a look today at the older dogs on there today, the crosses are setter x GR - gorgeous mum and dad...but no not a puppy - not yet.

I have no idea - I was thinking more along the lines of what you've said are the HPR group but I always thought they were pointers.. I was thinking setters a while ago but I don't know - it isn't going to be until my situation is sorted anyway - just going through my choices..
  9. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    what i learned recently your plans and ideas when it comes to rescues can change so quickly ..
  10. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Nope I have got what I want fixed - I would love another pup - but the first pup still hasn't grown up at all. There was though a Springer x lab that caught my eye on MT - but again a puppy - I myself on my own cannot deal with two puppies..
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I meant breed wise:p
  12. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Ahh yeah - I know I want a gundog though - cross or pedigree. Though I would give a home to an elderly collie - the oldies really get me..
  13. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I have a Pointer, (English) she is not easy, but she is devine, loves to work and is driven, she could run in the field all day, hunting squirrels preferably!! But she is not a HPR as Smokeybear said. She is very suited to the setters, being as norty and willful and loving!!:mrgreen:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    HPRs are the most independent of the gundog sub groups, but within that group there is a range of outlooks.

They very quite a lot in looks too, short hair, wire hair, longhair, and size eg Brittany being the smallest (if I remember rightly) to the largest which are Weims (I think).

Most are air scenting but can track, some are more into ground scent.

There is not such a big split between working and showing as there is in Labradors and Spaniels but it will be interesting to see if that changes with the docking issue.

Because they are bred to hunt, flush, retrieve game they possess a degree of initiative which can be difficult for some people to accept.

You also have to consider what they were originally bred for which indicates their strength of character.
  15. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Yes - I know I have to take it all into account - but thats what you're here for SB ;) I think I might stick to the spaniels until I have some more experience under my belt.. but you can still give me loads of info on pointers for future reference :D
  16. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I know Flynn has his faults such as barking and getting shirty with other dogs but he's easy as far as HPR's go. He's biddable, keen, isnt ruled by his nose and doesnt disappear over the horizon. Most arent like that.

Think if you'd be able to cope with a dog like Flynn, if you'd have the experience to deal with the many aspects of training involved, and then think if you'd be able to cope with a dog that was even harder work because, like I said, he's an easy one.
  17. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    So, when you say pointers, you mean continental pointers and not the 'English' pointers? ;-)
  18. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I'll swap you Flynn for a Benjie - if you can teach him anything other than speak and bloomin' PAW! I will be amazed..:D
  19. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    There is a new book out called ''Pointing dogs, volume one: the continentals'' which has pretty much all the hprs in (I think) it's very interesting.

There are different lines of hpr with in some breeds like the GSP some are bred to show and aren't used for working others just bred to work and others to do both (and thats with out going into the different types from different countrys).
    So different lines can be quite different and different breeds can be even more different.

Think I'd start with working out what would suit me - a soft or less soft dog / calmer or high energy / protective or less protective etc.....

HTH
  20. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Hey - Louie was no easy dog - he may have learn't quick but I haven't had an easy time with him! ;) Maybe I'll start with a stuffed toy pointer :lol:
  21. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    And visit Discover Dogs at Earls Court in November or Crufts next March and get feedback from owners of all teh breeds as well as meeting the dogs in person so to speak.