Pointers? General Chat

Discussion in 'Pointer' started by SLB, May 26, 2011.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i love love love the HPRs in fact the gundog group is probably one of favourites (although im not too keen on the spaniels sorry!!)

my favourite out of them all is probably the weim. ive fallen in love with them :grin: however been told id be stupid to get one :roll: so ive really been put off having one... next id probably have the GSP and then the GWP. my aunty used to have a working GWP and she was mad as a box of frogs, but one of the best dogs id ever met :grin: and i actually really love the slovak, which i hadnt even heard of until i got on here!!

i really really would love a HPR (along with all the other dogs on my list!)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    There is no reason why you couldnt enter Louie in scurries because you have rabbits. Scurries are just simulated retrieving situations against the clock using dummies, no rabbits or any other kind of fur or feather involved.

I'm guessing that there are retriever and spaniel tests out there which arent run under KC rules, just like there is the odd HPR Test of Work. However, since Louie is a cross of both, would you enter him in a retriever or spaniel test? There is nothing to say you cant enter Louie in things, you just have to do some digging around, find out where he could fit.

I've gone off on a tangent which has nothing to do with HPR's. My personal opinion is that you should learn more about gundogs from Louie before you contemplate a HPR. Take him further, challenge him more, see what you can achieve with him. If you want a HPR fix then you could always tag along with me on a Thursday night where you will see everything from a GLP to a Brittany. Speak to the owners, many of whom are breeders, i'm sure they'll be happy to share their knowledge.
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    You wouldn't if you owned one. :lol:
  5. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    awwww :lol: :lol: :lol:
  6. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    But I bet you`d have another... :002:
  7. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    That's me tagging along then :D

Aww - just one of the ones I was looking at too - :mrgreen: But C&D is right - bet you'd get another...

I said it about Louie - not another Springer x lab - but I bet I do..
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    you decided on which one you like yet?
  9. GirondeDeb

GirondeDeb New Member

Name:
    Con
    I've got to put in a good word for the English Pointer here! They are my favourite breed of dog, but I recognise they're not for everyone. In my limited experience, the key to handling them is to find out what motivates them (usually pointing at birds in hedges, and running a lot) and they will do it for you for hours. With gentle handling they become absolutely devoted and really, really want to work for you. But they are high energy and very enthusiastic, and can decide to go and do their own thing if you don't keep them interested.
  10. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie

and take a packet of fags to calm your nerves when the little git boggs off and nearly gives you a heart attack.

Yes. Life is never dull with a HPR. :mrgreen: