Pomeranian puppy Questions

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by Nicole222, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole

Pomeranian puppy

I'm really wanting to buy a pomeranian puppy and was so excited when I finally found a breeder not too far from me. I put a deposit on 3 week old puppy and was messaged pictures of the parents. I'm not sure if they are really purebred. They have really big ears that fold down. All the poms I have seen have little tiny ears that stand up. Is it possible for purebred poms to have folded ears? The breeder says they are purebred and the dad is registered but mom isnt.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello and welcome to Breedia from Malka and little Tikva.

Unfortunately I do not know anything about Poms but I would be wary of what they said, the dad is registered, but the mom is not - and without full papers of both parents you have not way whether the puppies are purebred or not.

And to my mind, giving a deposit on what is possibly not a purebred, with no registration papers, is buying a probably crossbreed. Papers mean nothing unless both parents are both are registered as pure bred.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    I would never put a deposit on a three week old puppy, and a good breeder would not ask for one at that age. How can you know what that puppy's health, looks or temperament are going to be like in another seven weeks time? Is the puppy being reared in a hygienic, knowledgeable environment? Without seeing these things, and viewing the puppy with, at least its mother, you have no way of knowing.
    The large folded ears do suggest that these are not pure bred, and these people do sound like backyard breeders. You may get a pretty pet dog from them, but I would be prepared for a less than typical Pomeranian. Without a pedigree or KC registration, please do not let yourself get conned into paying a silly price!
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Hi & welcome

Sounds like the puppies could be Pomeranian Cross Chihuahua or Pomeranian Cross Chinese Crested or Pomeranian Cross JRT as these all have folded over ears

5 weeks old Pomeranian Cross Chihuahua
    Pomeranian-x-long-haired-chihuahua-20151104180127.jpg

5 weeks old Pomeranian Cross Chinese Crested
    3-4-pomeranian-puppies-1-4-chinese-crested-520a3081926a6.jpg

5 weeks old Pomeranian Cross JRT
    teacup-pomeranian-cross-miniture-jack-russell-51ae0cd94c430.jpg

pure bred pomeranian puppy
    Pomeranian_5368288.jpg
  6. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    Malka likes this.
    I thought it was a little odd but have been looking for one for a while and was desperate. I've looked online and everything and con not find a dealer near me.
  7. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    I have a picture of the puppy and the parents but can't figure out how to upload it on here
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Are you 100% that you MUST have a 100% Pom? Because if you have paid for is not for 100% breeding or showing, then he/she is not one. Either you want that puppy, for breeding or showing, or just for a pet, is your prerogative but in my opinion that is not pure bred Pomeranian.

I could be wrong but I think you might have paid a deposit for a "'maybe" which whatever it is, is not a Pom.
  9. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    I am beginning to think it's not a true pom myself. I had 2 poms as a kid and really wanted to buy one for my daughter because they are such wonderful little dogs. My poms look nothing like the parents of the puppy but I thought maybe poms just looked different sometimes. So I've done a lot of research since making a deposit and from everything I've read poms do not have ears that fold. I wish I could upload a pic of puppy and parents.
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Not sure which country you live in, but here in Derbyshire in the UK the average price for a pet KC registered Pomeranian is round £700 for males & £850 for females, prices goes up for a show Promeranian.
    Unfortunately prices goes up even more for a designer Pomeranian (Pomeranian cross with designer name) from what your saying does sound like mum could be Pomeranian cross & dad (if they are puppies true parents) could be a pedigree Pomeranian.
  11. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    When you write a post you see 3 rectangles red one says "post reply" next one is grey & says "upload a file" this one lets you post photos.
  12. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    I live in the U.S. but the guy said the dad of the puppy is UKC because his parents are from Ireland but the dog doesn't look purebred. Neither of the parents do. They both have really big ears that fold down.
  13. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    I tried that but for some reason it only allows me to take a picture with my camera. Maybe it's because I'm using my cell phone?
  14. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Malka, 6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    If you want to find a pure well bred Pom then you be best to find breeders by go to shows and meeting the people there. Most breeders do not advertise publicly on selling sites but advertise within their breed clubs and circles. You will probably have to go on a waiting list, but at least you know what you are getting and will know the parentage and health of the lines you are buying from :)
  15. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    I have never been to a dog show. How can I find one in my area? Thank you for your help.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree with Katie that the Breed Club is always a good place to start. Google, American Pomeranian Club, it seems a good site with lots of info.
  17. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    Ok. Thank you :)
  18. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    Here are the pictures of the puppy. I'm just curious if anyone knows what breed it can possibly be bred with. Or could it possibly be purebred just the result of bad breeding?

Attached Files:

19. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    Here are the parents.

Attached Files:

20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Nicole222 likes this.
    The puppy's ears could well be on their way up. Three weeks is very early, they are still only toddling at that age.
    The photo of the parents is too small to see properly. Those ears do look rather large, but show Pom ears are trimmed, and the coat is fluffed up to make them appear even smaller - these are untrimmed, and look fringed. They do seem to have the dainty feet, and double coat of Poms.
    They do appear to be house pets, and the environment looks clean. My instinct is that they are not commercial breeders.
    I would ask how soon you could visit. Be friendly but straightforward, and put your questions directly to the breeder. They will possibly want you to leave it until 6 weeks to view, and 10 weeks to collection, so ask for some more update photos before then. Google, Pom puppies x weeks, and get a picture in your head of what they should be looking like at that age. There is always an element of trust in buying any puppy, so try to forge a relationship with the breeders - you are likely to have things you want to ask them about in the future.
    Good luck. I hope everything works out, and you end up with a cute pet Pom.
  21. Nicole222

Nicole222 New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Sorry I don't know why the picture turned out so small. I decided to not get that puppy just to be safe because I'm not sure they are purebred. Their ears are so large they are literally doubled over it is just hard to see it from the picture. I hate I lost the deposit but Id rather lose it than pay the full amount on a puppy Im pretty sure isnt even purebred. Thank you for the help. I'm hoping to have a pom puppy soon :)