Poor huskies - Overbreeding Controversial

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by rosegallagher, Apr 17, 2012.

1. rosegallagher

rosegallagher New Member

Name:
    rose

Poor huskies - Overbreeding

Too many being bred, owners not looking into their proper care & how much attention these breeds need, far too many being put into shelters, etc. Down page a bit .
    http://www.itv.com/news/granada/
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Very sad. Sleddies have caught the eye of the chav fraternity, sadly and have become an accessory, like the so called status dogs before them. I've seen an increase in the numbers of Sibes, Mals and crosses of the two lately, and many are owned by people who have no idea what these dogs need. I hope we see more publicity showing people that these types of dog are not for novice owners and not for those who don't like to walk or run their dogs.
  4. youngstevie

youngstevie

We have seen a increase around here, they seem to be a new status thing here.

Some previous SBT owners seemed to have swapped onto Husky types:rolleyes:
  5. PB&J

PB&J New Member

Name:
    Jess
    It's not a trend I've noticed around here, yet.

So sad whenever a breed becomes too fashionable and they end up getting discarded like this :(
  6. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Since losing Rupert in December I've seen about 30 huskies up for rehoming just within the forces community in Germany. Almost all of them are adolescents and I think every single ad has said something along the lines of "doesn't like to be left".

They're stunning looking dogs but I wouldn't even consider having one. Especially not while living in a tiny flat with no garden!
  7. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    Huskies seem to be on the increase in my neighbourhood as well. Quite often people people get two pups with the result that they end up totally uncontrolled, dragging their owner around not appearing to get the time, committment and exercise this breed needs. Having said that we have a lovely malamute near us. I know his owners have put in a tremendous amount of work with him, with the result that he is a grand dog, a pleasure to see who can go off lead and happily play with other dogs he meets. Sadly he does not seem to be representative of the huskies and malamutes we usually come across. Many seem to have to be permanently on lead, lunging and diving all over the place when they see another dog. It seems they are often like "fish out of water" having to lead such small restricted lives because they are a bit of a status symbol. They look impressive and are very attractive dogs. I think it is a shame, but hardly surprising that so many are ending up discarded and in rescue.
  8. rosegallagher

rosegallagher New Member

Name:
    rose

They are better in pairs or packs as very sociable & a pack animal, folk get one & leave him/her alone during the day with no stimulation, company & wander why the dog rips things up, destroys their home, need lots of exercise too.
  9. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Summed up in one sentence Rose, very succinctly and neatly. Excellent post! :grin:
  10. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Ah that made me well up, all those frustrated dogs and that white dog's eye's at the end of the vid :(

I hate people! (Not you people that care for dogs of course!)
  11. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I was surprised by how many sibes were at the Ipswich all about dogs show, just three years ago when I first got Kismet we were the only sibe type at the show, now we were one among hundreds, the only dogs that outnumbered sibes were staffys... There was a trade stand all about northern inuits too and some very handsome dogs on it.
  12. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    I work at the rescue center in the news reel, sadly it is not exaggerated, the numbers coming into the home is getting stupid, and unfortunately the staff are increasingly having to spend more time with these dogs, because their owners have not put any effort into training/exercising them correctly, sometimes allowing the dogs to be "mouthy" where they will(gently) tug at sleeves etc, this puts many people off homing them because they think they are being aggressive, when in fact they are basically trying to get attention or being over playful/boistous.

Mo
  13. zoeyvonne

zoeyvonne New Member

Name:
    zoe
    They are absolutely gorgeous, but had a panic at the weekend out walking my 2 off lead (staffys 6 m and 4 m) when i heard giant feet running behind me, 2 HUGE malamutes were suddenly there past my waist high, Samson and Sasha both looked petrified and as they had come through a hedge no owner visible I must admit I was worried too, 4 dogs to handle by myself if something happened:shock: Luckily they were fine but when the owner came through the hedge a couple of mins later (I was looking back waiting) she shouted over "I saw them dissapear through the hedge, but there was no point calling them cos they don't listen:shock: " I'm just glad I didn't have a reactive dog with me cos it could have got nasty quickly I would guess, it is a worry with unprepared owners not knowing how to handle them, these 2 were softies but mine might not have been:neutral:
  14. zoe9576

zoe9576 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Have I got a wrong link? I don't see any info. about dog huskies there.
  15. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    I think its gone now, it was a report on huskies increase at Manchester Dogs Home, and other centers.
  16. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    I think people just don't have a clue about them. I know so many people who want one cause they look nice, and don't' seem to realise what they take.

It's so so sad :(
  17. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    So sad. Looks like these are the next staffie as far as rescue goes. Funnily enough, I know of at least one staffie owner that got a sibe, couldn't cope and sold the pup on.

Round here there are about 4 sibes, but thankfully their owners are not too chavvy. One lovely girl was a rescue and is 12 now - her family love her dearly. Another is a little podgy, but a delightful dog and she is offlead with surprisingly great recall even when she sees my TM who she is dying to flirt with. :lol: The other two I don't know that well, but see them out often with their owners.

Hope it stays that way as they are a world away from a staffie who are an ideal family dog with basic positive imput. You really have to put effort in to eff up with a staffie as a pet dog. Sled breeds are gorgeous dogs, but they are not easy family pets and need extremely dedicated, knowledgable and understanding owners for a wolfie lookie likey (as that's the main attraction of them to most people) of any breed/cross to work out happily for everybody in that setting.
  18. Tealhope

Tealhope New Member

Name:
    Teal
    We had a sibe when I was little and we finally gave him away to a family because he was constantly running away. Looking back now I see everything we did was a big no no with them and now my dad wants to try again with the breed after he retires and has plenty of time for one.
  19. Sherrie_x

Sherrie_x New Member

Name:
    Sherrie
    Definately agree we own 2 siberian huskys ourselves and noticed not long after loads were appearing in our area! The worse is alot of people dont understand the breed and then are just getting rid of them we went to a shelter not long back and there were a growing number of huskys being put in and being mass breeded then people getting rid because they cant take care of them. So sad
  20. Pauline Sirrell

Pauline Sirrell New Member

Name:
    Pauline
    Welfare is full to bursting :-( Its a shame there isnt more education about the breed although people in the breed desperately try to educate owners it falls on deaf ears and the dogs end up being re-homed.
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    It is not a breed I come into contact with all that often (living out in the sticks it tends to be collies and gundogs) however, I did help find a lovely young sibe a home a couple of months ago. It was the same old story - owner bought the breed because of their look, didn't have the knowledge, time or even commitment to care for the dog properly. Thankfully she was rehomed to a husky experienced, working home.

I seem to recall there is a piece in one of the recent Dogs Today magazines, saying that Huskies are the new Staffie in terms of the amount in rescue :-( Very sad.