Possible Ex Working Dog ? Questions

Discussion in 'Hound Forum' started by greyhoundk, Dec 28, 2010.

1. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor

Possible Ex Working Dog ?

Just wondering how you could tell if a dog has been used for hunting/coursing ?

I have had Bella for a year now (lurcher) and in the last few weeks she has caught two squirrels, the first one i thought she had injured herself as she was squealing and being very vocal, when i got to her she had the squirrel in her mouth, she dropped it and didn't attempt to eat it and was not guarding it, it didn't have any marks on it either.

Today she did he same thing although it was bloody because she had it around the stomach and it was still alive but she dropped it and left it again and she made the same noises as the first time. Is the noise to alert me to the fact she had caught something ?

She also has quite a few scars on her legs and paws.

Thoughts please .....
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    not sure if there is a definitive, working lines do tend tohave distinctly different physiques and higher prey drive / energy IMO
  4. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Thanks Mick, i know nothing about hunting dogs ! not sure if shes been used for hunting specifically, as you say it could just be instinct, she is very keen and very fast. I just felt awful today though because the poor thing was still alive and bleeding to death, my greyhound finished it off and promptly ate most of it but i think maybe i should muzzle her. Shes fine around other dogs its just small furry things !
  5. rune

rune

If you have her out and sort of play round her collar, pulling it a bit then often if she has been worked she will become alert and look ahead and go tense.

Probably better for your sanity to get her used to a muzzle anyway. The black plastic covered ones that Countrymun sell are really good.

rune
  6. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Thanks Rune, i think i will get her a muzzle its not very nice when the prey is still alive, i wanted to kill it to end its misery but i when i went to get hold of the squirrel it went to bite me. To be honest i wouldn't know what to do anyway !

It took me half an hour to get my greyhound to come back to me as every time i got near her, she picked the squirrel up and ran off. Bella catches they prey and Kim eats it ! Bella doesn't show any aggression or posessiveness over the kill though, she's happy to leave it, the only time she got excited was when the squirrel was squeaking poor thing.
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Id muzzle her when she is out, killing Squirrels with dogs is illegal, you could end up in trouble. Its in their nature to catch and kill, she probably has never done a days work in her life, just pure instinct.
  8. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    You must have some pretty dozy squirrels in your area!. :shock: Or do people feed them?
    A friend and I were in Sandringham Country Park once and just as a group of small schoolchildren walked towards us, my GSD flew across the path, hard on the heels of a cute fluffy squirrel. Shrieks from children (and squirrel).
    My friend dived into the undergrowth then shouted - It`s OK, Claire, it`s gone up a tree` and re-appeared with the grinning dog. Sighs of relief all round.
    I muttered to my friend `Did it really get away?
    Did it f***! she said.
    But that`s the only time one of mine have caught one. And I think it was because they were so tame.
  9. TomtheLurcher

TomtheLurcher New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    My lurcher and greyhound would certainly go for the squirrels given the chance , the grey is an ex racer so presumably just instinct , the lurcher is on high alert every time we are out , not sure if he was worked as he was a stray but certainly shows signs of such and many lurcher people I have met ask me if I work him, maybe he just looks the part, I muzzle him when we are out just in case.
  10. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I think some dogs have more of a natural instinct to chase and kill and indeed are more skilled at hunting, doesnt necessarily mean they are workers.

I dont deliberately take my dogs out with the sole intention of catching anything and yet they quite often do, rabbits being the victims 99% of the time. Each dog has their own role...Jed generally tracks the prey, Jessie flushes it out from it's cover and Flynn, because he's the fastest and most efficient killer, tends to be the one who catches and dispatches them. It happens frequently enough that I now carry a carrier bag with me (which I guess could be argued that I do go out with the intention of hunting on some level because i'm expecting them to kill something).

Does this make my dog workers or does it just make them natural predators?

As for the noise, it could just be down to excitement. Both my collies will yelp when they are chasing something, as did my ex's GSP as they are aroused by movement and the thrill of the chase.
  11. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Thanks for your replies, Leanne its the same with me i don't deliberately hunt but when i go for walks in the woods etc i have my dogs off lead. I think i may get a muzzle !