Puppies first heat, help Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by who owns who, Jun 4, 2018.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Philippa, I do hope you’re enjoying your Akita bear, and hope you don’t find it all difficult. When I had to PTS my last Akita I had no doubt I’d get another, although I did think I’d wait 5-6 months, but didn’t make it even 4 weeks.. They can absolutely test ones patience.. They are very stubborn and strong willed. I found that getting a 2nd pup made bandit a more well behaved dog, and so much happier as he has a playmate and someone besides me to lay around with. I had some serious puppy jitters (like wedding jitters) after having picked out Katie Mae. I had to wait over 10 weeks from when I picked her to when I could get her, because my yard could still be contaminated with parvo, despite doing the recommended multiple bleach sprays (I used 10’s of gallons..). I have heard and read of quite a few stories of people having Akitas of same sex get along, but from everything you read/hear, it’s not the norm. And an adult Akita fight is very real and scary. You saw the photos of my previous Akita with his best friend, they had a friendship that spanned their whole lives, from the welping box to the day I took Darkstar (also called Hoshi) to say goodbye to his buddy, who was PTS a year before my dog, and he could tell his friend was not well. The one thing we did do was to remove all chew bones so they wouldn’t fight over them, and when we dog sat each other’s dogs they were never fed together. I wonder if your dog might benefit from having a friend.. does he show any interest in other dogs besides aggression? There have definitely been times with bandit that I’ve been very frustrated, like him wanting to be chased and cornered and caught before he’d let me put him in the truck, to go for a ride and a walk, which he loved doing. When he knew I was getting ready to go out he ignored all his training.. pissed me off to no end, he wouldn’t come or sit, even for a very tasty treat... and then we’d go out and he’d sit for someone else, who had no treats.. and I’m the one who trained him and feeds him... But I love him, and I got over the jitters, and he’s a much happier dog having a companion. I tell people that bandit is my emotional support dog and Katie Mae is my and bandits shared emotional support dog. I’m glad you chose not to muzzle yoji, and are working with him, and are taking pride in how he’s turning out!! When I’m walking one or both dogs and am asked about “owning” one, I always bring up all the hard to deal with/negative traits first, as I truly believe they are not the right dog for most people and households. They are very stunning looking dogs, with their size and shape, the big bear like heads and curly tails and fluffy coats. When I first met my brothers bitch at 9 months old I thought to myself I’d never want a dog like that. He came to visit and help me with some building project. The first or second day his dog attacked one of my mutts, the female, for no apparent reason. Well over the years my opinion changed.. and I couldn’t see myself w/o an Akita. These 2 may be my last though, depending on how long they live.. and my health and age at that time. Once they are attached to you it’s hard for them to rehome.. I’d hate to get another and have it outlive me and be unhappy, or worse, PTS because it was having hard time adjusting to new home. I actually looked into Akita rescue dogs and decided it would be easier to adopt a child than to jump through all their hoops.. I can’t even count all the people who come up to me and tell me of the Akitas they grew up with or have had. They really make an impact on people. Oh boy, I’ve rattled on too... one last thought.. I read your post very early this morning and somehow it got me thinking about Darkstar, and how much I miss him (my eyes are getting wet..) and vividly remembered laying on a blanket with him, hugging him so tight as the meds were given to him to relieve him of his pain... I laid with him long after his heartbeat had stopped, wetting his fur with my tears. I still miss that old boy so much. I love the dogs I have now, but I guess I just haven’t known them as long.. I mean I was there at his birth, as my brother had called me to come and help, so I literally was with him when he landed on this planet and was hugging him as he left... All my pets are buried here. I think I need to go visit him, as I haven’t in a very long time
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    @who owns who
    I think I have managed to send you this message privately, I may bore everyone otherwise !
    If you are a responsible pet owner, the day they come into your lives you know you are going to have your heart broken
    I love animal physiology and I feel it helps to get the best out of training
    You asked about Yoji & other dogs, he isn’t agressive with all and often has the attitude of “ leave me alone & ill leave you alone “ and he seems quite happy with most bitches although not all owners are happy for an Akita playing with their dogs, given how hard they can play. Could I get him a playmate.......maybe, but I don’t think I want to risk what we have got going on, he is working out well and at 16 months we are hopefully going to see him improve even more
    Have a great day
    P