Puppy biting Questions

Discussion in 'Rottweiler' started by Parough, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty

Puppy biting

I know it is normal for puppies to bite...but Piper,now almost 4 months old, is obsessed with it.She is constantly fixed on my feet, and sometimes hands, but she not only does it to me,it's anyone who comes over.I have tried all suggestions, and when I get her to stop, she will, sometimes show aggression towards me.She will run up to me, jump up and bite,anywhere,usually my arms,and then she will just go crazy...running through the house, destroying everything in her way.
    For the most part, she has been a very good girl,she now comes when she's called,yay! When I take her for her daily walks, I keep her on a leash, or she won't stay with me. I live on 40 acres,in the woods, and she always seems to find things, like bones,partially eaten,and I don't want her picking that stuff up,plus mushrooms. She puts everything in her mouth, but I have taught her to drop it,and then I put the leash on, and she is great, if it is where she wants to go, if not,she growls at me,jumps on me, and runs to the end of the leash, usually pulling me,until I get her to settle down, then she's fine again,but it seems like she "fight's" me on almost everything! I am enrolling her in obedience classes after the 1st.,and am pretty confident that will help. I had gotten to a point about a week ago,where I called my daughter, and told her I couldn't keep her, because I'm not strong enough to handle her, but then I decided to give it more time, and hope for the best. I love this dog,and want to keep her,but she is quite a handful! Someone,please help me.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's and Parough like this.
    Patty - I have an 18 month old tiddler who just lurves chewing my hands. She does not hurt now but she did when she was younger, and she still likes chewing my knuckles and being half Doxie she has very strong teeth and jaws, but it took a long time to get her to "soft" bite. And she goes for my feet if I am on my crutches and not in my chair. No, she does not hurt my feet but she has left tooth marks on my Crocs and now on my winter boots [cheapo imitation Ugg type that I wear as slippers - the Crocs were not imitation].

I do not know what to say to you. Your girl is going to get bigger and stronger and only you know whether you will be able to cope with her if she does not calm down. Hopefully the obedience classes will teach her to be a nice loving dog, and you also learn, but she is still a puppy and does not know how to behave yet.

I am lucky in that the only hands and feet Tikva has ever gone for are mine. She loves everyone, is wonderful with little children - maybe I am the only one who tastes good to her?
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Malka and Parough like this.
    I have owned 10 Rottweilers over the years
    3 were rescue puppies aged between 4/5 months old, 5 being adult rescue dogs aged between 2-4 years old & 2 puppies I bought aged 12 weeks old.
    You will have to distract your girl every time she goes to bite you, either with treats or toy, if she continues trying to bite you then put her in time out either outside or in another room on her own.
    Rottweilers are powerful dogs & will stand up to you if given half the chance, you need to take control of her now or she will start ruling you.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    when she goes to bite,have you tried to re-direct her with a toy either by throwing it (not too far) or move it around in front of her to get her interest,, you can use tit- bits to trade for the toy if she wont give it back, it does sometimes take some time but will work if you stick with it, but you must be consistent.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    Patty - listen to Tina [message #3
    If you are not able-bodied then unless you can get Piper to stop causing you problems now, what will you do when she is fully grown? Because she is going to be a big girl.

I talk about my tiddler Tikva who weighs all of ~6 kilos and yet she has knocked me flying more than a few times.

Would I give her up? I rescued her when she was just three weeks old and I am far from AB. She used to bite me when she was teething. Hard. Now she likes to chew on my knuckles but knows enough not to hurt. Either that or my skin has turned to leather!

But it took a lot of "stop biting ya booga" and I know that were she a larger dog she could hurt me with me having no control over her.
  7. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    I am enrolling "us" in some obedience classes, after the 1st., and think they will help. I have gotten so attatched to her, and realize that she is still a puppy, and will outgrow some of my "issues". Sometimes I think I over-emphasize things, and I do know not to expect changes overnight. I also know she is a bit more aggressive than what I'm used to, and have to get that under control, before she gets too big, and that concerns me. She is learning everyday, and so am I, but I'm not giving up on her, she's a very smart puppy, and I know she will grow into a good dog. I appreciate all of your replies, and suggestions it helps me out, a lot. Thank you.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    But it is not your "issues" that are worrying you. It is whether you will be able to cope with Piper's "issues". And as you are not AB it makes things more difficult.

I really do hope that the obedience classes help you both. :052:
  9. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    Malka and 6JRT's like this.
    I meant "my issues", on how to train her:). She is improving everyday, she just has a lot of energy, and it's hard sometimes for me to keep up.I have disabilities, but I'm not disabled(if that makes sense), I was seriously hurt in 3 separate accidents, and am limited to what I can do, but she is good exercise for me. If I do find she's too much, I'll have to make a decision then, but I think with continued training she will be fine. When I adopt a dog, it becomes a member of my family, and after losing my other two, so suddenly, she has done a great job in helping me deal with that. Now...is it normal for her, to "hump" me,whenever she tries? I stop her, of course,but what is a desirable age to have her spayed?
    I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Yes bitches & as well as dogs hump - some people say its a dominant thing others say its hormone things.
    I had a GSD's bitch that would try to hump my male GSD's heads - which I would stop straight away.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Parough likes this.
    The humping is normal puppy behaviour, having her spayed wont really stop it, but if you do decide to have her done wait until she is 18mths/2yrs.at least
    Somebody mentioned flirt poles on another thread, might be worth your while trying one out, they are great tools if used correctly, to burn energy and use with your training for impulse control.
    Flirt poles training this explains how to use them. http://www.moderndoggroup.com/flirt-poles-in-training/
    Video
  12. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    That at was a great video, I am going to try it, since her daily walks don't seem to be enough. I tried a laser light once, and she did chase it, but I think they are cruel, there's nothing to reward her for, what? Catching the light????lol
  13. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    IMG_1861.JPG Piper has changed so much, just in the last few weeks, she's amazing! I try things I read from you people on here, and it has helped me so much, not only in understanding Rotties, but realizing that she IS still a puppy, and she does what puppies do! She is VERY smart, and one thing I love, is she now comes when I call her, and watching her clumsy self, with her ears flopping, run to me, just as fast as she can, makes me sooo happy! She has learned to sit, shake, lay down, stay, fetch and bring it back, and drop it, and I'm currently teaching her to " find it". Though she still tries to push every button I have, I've learned how to react to her, jumping in the middle of me when I least expect it, and her temper tantrums, when she doesn't have my full attention.Its fun watching her grow, and learn, and experience new things...she absolutely loves the snow! She is very attached to me, and is by my side at all times, even when I am in the shower, lol. As long as I can continue to stay one step ahead of her, and keep her mind busy, she is going to turn out to be a great dog! Please keep giving me tips and info. on Rottie's, it helps me, in learning and teaching mine. Thanks.
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Great that things are working out for you, sometimes when we haven’t had puppies for a long time we tend to forget just how much hard work and tiring they can be.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    Patty, Piper is adorable and she has learned so much in such a short time. My pup learns what she wants, and ignores me the rest of the time, and she is one year eight months old - or something - but she is little and reasonably easy to cope with, unlike your lovely Piper.

Piper has learned so much and I am sure you are very proud of her.

You made me laugh about her wanting to be in the shower with you - I have to admit that I put Tikva in her night crate and move it to the ensuite so she can see me but not end up under my chair and get soaking wet!
  16. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    Parough likes this.
    Glad she is learning some obedience like coming back when called. Something that is forgotten or ignored when adolescence comes. :lol:
  17. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    GsdSlave likes this.
    It is so fun watching her grow and learn. She catches on fast, at most things. She is still just over 4 months and growing at an amazingly fast rate! If she doesn't slow down soon, I'm going to have one big dog! We have already formed a close bond, and is quickly discovering just how far she can push me. Lol