Puppy Not Eating General Chat

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by KatherineW, Apr 27, 2017.

?

Has This Happened To You Before?

1. Never Ever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Once

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Twice

100.0%
  4. More

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KatherineW

KatherineW New Member

Name:
    Kate

Puppy Not Eating

Hello,
    As you know I have a GSP puppy named Lola. It has come to my attention that over the last couple of days she hasn't been eating as much as she used to when we first got her. We are feeding her on the same food as the breeder was so have obviously ruled out changing diet as the problem. Before she was eating fine, now suddenly when she has hit the age of 12 weeks nearly 13 actually she suddenly has started eating less, when we put her food down she sniffs at the bowl and walks off. The bizarre thing is she will eat it if we sprinkle some on the carpet but not from the bowl. Do you think she doesn't like that dog food? It wouldn't be ideal to change her food because I don't want to end up with a picky dog. On top of that I can't really wait any longer without advice because I am concerned at the amount of food eaten, although it is not a small amount it is just the sudden change that's worrying. She was able to go outside, on the ground on Tuesday could this be linked?
    Thanks
    Kate
    x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    How many times a day are you feeding her?

Have you tried a different bowl (made of different material)?
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Is she is starting to teethe? If so, chewing dry kibble could be hurting her gums. If she is otherwise doing well on this food, I would try pre-soaking it with a little gravy or vegetable stock, (nb. very low salt content). Give her raw bones, chews, frozen carrots or hooves to help the new teeth through.
    As Chris says, a different bowl could create a little more interest.
  5. KatherineW

KatherineW New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I have tried a different bowl still no interest and I don't think it could be the thing about teething as she is happy to eat it from someone's hand. I am feeding her 4 times a day. Not trying to sound ungrateful, I really do appreciate all suggestions given. Any more ideas?
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That could lead to habit-forming so you should not let her eat from anything or anywhere but her bowl.

How about trying to feed her three times a day and not four - same amount of food but split into three.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    She may just have decided for herself that she only wants three meals a day. My previous dog, a Border Collie, went from 4 meals to 3 very quickly (about 12 weeks if memory serves).
  8. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hi,
    I know this doesn't link at all with the previous advice but this has happened to Harper twice, I went to the vet and he said that puppies' growth happens on and off so the times when she will be super hungry is the week she will make a difference in size and then when the hunger decreases she will only grow a little.
    Hope this helps,
    Jane
    x
  9. KatherineW

KatherineW New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Have spoken to my vet over the phone and she said generally you change your dog to 3 meals anyway at 12/13 weeks.
    @Malka, I wont do that anymore then, just didn't want her to go hungry.
    Very interesting Jane, not heard of this before.
    Thanks for all the amazing advice and comments,
    Kate
    x
  10. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    @KatherineW
    A bit surprised your vet didn't suggest this when you phoned her up. Apparently, I've been told its quite common.
    Jane
    x
  11. KatherineW

KatherineW New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Hi @Christopher Smith
    Luckily I don't think it is any of the things you have mentioned because as I said she will eat off the floor and from someone's hand. I have stopped hand feeding her to prevent a habit forming. She has realised that she's not going to get any other food if she stops eating. I appreciate your effort.
    Thank you for trying,
    Kate
    x