Puppy training Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by James, Dec 11, 2017.

1. James

James New Member

Name:
    James

Puppy training

Hi have a 7 week old akita brought to bring up with our 2 year old. He's very nippy any tips. To stop him nipping will he grow out of this any advice is welcome please
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    This is normal puppy behaviour. Don't respond beyond giving an 'Ouch', but fold your arms, stand still and face the wall - or leave the room altogether. All fun stops when the biting starts. Puppies do investigate with their mouths, so gentle mouthing is permissible.
    A two year old will not be able to understand this, so I would leave it till your puppy has learnt his manners before allowing them to play together.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    7715BC64-1928-475E-B1C0-F930120E6551.jpeg James, we need to see photos, Akita pups are truly cute
    We got an Akita pup, he’s 11 months now, so, I can understand what you are going through, it’s not easy, but, you can do it
    What worked for us, I’m sure others will have some other advice, so, well done for asking
    Every time ours, Yoji, nipped or grabbed us, we pushed a soft toy into his mouth
    As he got older we asked him to sit, when he did we gave him his soft toy and then fussed him once he sat
    Now he is older, when he wants to say “ hello “ he runs off and grabs a soft toy, he comes to us, we still don’t fuss him until he sits
    It really worked for us, if you can be consistent you will see
    Let us know how it goes
    This is him with a soft toy saying “ hello “ to my sis
    Photos pleassssssssse
    Philippa
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I agree with @CaroleC - especially with regard to your puppy and your two-year old.

I have a "mouther" but she has not nipped since she grew out of the puppy nipping stage. She still "mouths" though but with no pressure and not to hurt - it is her way of showing love and trust and she learned "no bite" quite quickly.

However, even though she has very strong jaws and could really hurt if she wanted to, she will only mouth me - gently. There is no way I would have let her keep this habit if she was a larger dog that maybe I could not control.
  6. FPRottweilers

FPRottweilers New Member

Name:
    Ivan
    I believe that you do not need to do nothing...He is young little puppy and on that way He learn and have new experience. Just love him and be patient... :) I do not believe that the older dog hurt a 7 weeks young pupp... But You are the owner James... you can make a best judges... trust in yourself :)
    P.S. Sorry if I read something wrong or understanding, this forum is great for English learning
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I understood the two year old to be a child.
    Sorry if I have misunderstood.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Its normal puppy behaviour and yes, it can be very trying, it doesn't happen overnight but persistence and patience do pay off. The goal is not so much to stop them from biting, but to teach them bite inhibition/ bite control.
    There are various methods it’s a case of finding which one works best and the more consistent you are the faster they will learn,

Teaching bite inhibition’
    M. Shirley Chong
    http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/bite.txt

http://www.crickethollowfarm.com/biteinhib.htm
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    That Cricket Hollow article is a super resource, Vee. I must remember that one for future use!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I also thought it referred to a child as the OP was not clear about it, a;though "a 7 week old akita brought to bring up with our 2 year old" does really sound as if the two-year old is a child and not another dog.
  11. James

James New Member

Name:
    James
    Thanx for all your replies I know it's quite a clever pup as we only had him 4 days an already he can sit an sit an wait for his food he dose stop if you are loud when saying owch but my 2 year old SON sorry didn't explain very well he's only crys if he really gets hurt he's a tough kid so when Casper nipped him and cried Casper lets go an sits but need to get him to bit softer then it won't bother my son they play really well together yoji is a good looking dog it's a nice picture here's casper IMG-20171211-WA0009.jpeg
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello James - thank you for clarifying that you did, in fact, mean your son.

Casper is a very sweet little puppy but he is still a very young baby and as such he and your son should really not be left to play unsupervised. Forgive me if I am implying that you do not supervise them, but you really do not want either of them to be distressed or hurt.

Casper is a very young puppy and young puppies do nip. And sometimes their nips hurt. So please do all you can, as on the very helpful sites posted on here by @GsdSlave :)
  13. James

James New Member

Name:
    James
    Any tips on the house breaking side of things. We are using puppy pads which he's using during the night. But when we are around he wees 1513096100170433261739.jpg anywhere. Thanks for everyone's advice so far
  14. James

James New Member

Name:
    James
    Hi thanks for the advice we would never leave them alone together
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know that some people do not believe in using puppy pads but I did with Tikva as she was so very young and so very tiny - and even when she learned to go out to pee and poo she would still use the puppy pads that I had put down each side of her day bed if she was in a hurry!

And because she refuses point blank to go outside if it is bucketing down, I will even now put a pad down for her to use - she is a stubborn little girl and if she will not go out there is no way I can make her, although she does not seem to notice if it is raining for her first thing in the morning pee as once I open her crate she rushes through the place, straight out the door once it is opened, and floods the concrete patio!

But she is a small dog and apart from her morning pee, if she needs to use a pad for a pee or a poo during the day it is no problem for me, and it is only when it really is bucketing down that she will need to use one.

However I do not know what to suggest for a larger breed like Casper as I have never had a large breed dog, but I am sure that you will get lots of proper advice from those who do know. :)
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and James like this.
    I’ve never used puppy pads or newspaper as I don’t see the logic in training pups to go indoors then expect them to go outside it just confuses them.
    Some puppies need to go out once or twice a night for a few weeks or more, others are sleeping through the night at a young age.
    It’s really important to prevent accidents in the house as much as possible while teaching to go outdoors. That means you need to supervise him very closely take him out often and encourage him to go and use a cue.

For the first few weeks I always had mine in big cardboard box beside my bed, and alarm set for every 2/3 hours for first week, working time up till they would whimper if they wanted to go. When they whined to go to the toilet it was a swift, out of the bed, downstairs, outside for a wee/poo, No playing or fussing or anything else.
    Always took them in the garden after every feed, drink, playtime, sleep and used a command go toilet waited till they went and gave lots of praise, brought them inside as soon as they've done it.

You need to make sure that you remove the urine smell indoors.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I believe that observation is the key. My puppies go out immediately after every sleep, every meal, every drink, and whenever they begin nosing around in corners or near a door. Whatever the weather, (brolly by the door, and treats in pocket), I stand outside with the puppy until it has performed, then I join it in a joyful dance, and give a small reward for doing a Good Quicky or Poo Poo.
    The last four that I have house-trained have been older rehomes, and I have found it useful to put a couple of small bells on the collar - mainly as a reminder in case I get engrossed in some activity. You can also get bells which hang from the door, which the puppy can nudge when he starts finding his own way there.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do agree with @GsdSlave and @CaroleC - I did the same with Lexi and Pereg, but Tikva was so very young and I honestly could not have house-trained her without puppy pads.