Puppy's first walks Photos

Discussion in 'Scottish Terrier' started by dognik, Jan 28, 2012.

1. dognik

dognik New Member

Name:
    Nikos

Puppy's first walks

Tilly, our young Scottie, went out for her first walks this week.
    We are currently using a harness rather than a lead on her collar.

During the first walks we noticed that,
    1) Everyone stops and talks to you when you are walking a puppy, the neighbors have been there at least eighteen months and that was the first time we have stopped and spoken to them.

2) Tilly seems very good with people with no problems saying hello to new people.

3) Cars were another matter. Passing cars would cause her to sit and drop her head or even move between my legs and crouch.

4) She was especially nervous at night, of everything, paper boy with trolley, young lady in heels on the other side of the road, teenagers laughing and cars with lights. May give after dark walks a rest for a while.

5) Obviously very submissive withe other dogs, but soon gets more comfortable in their company. Slightly worried meeting a Doberman and an Alsatian on her second walk but all OK. It must be good for her to meet the other dogs.

Today it seems that she is getting better with the cars, I took her down to a slightly busier road and she soon became less nervous of the cars.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Tip

Sometimes it is a good idea to put dogs in cars to watch other cars.

With small dogs and puppies, pick them up so they do not get the "wash" from the air and dust in their eyes as they go past.

Sitting on a wall or a bench can help.
  4. dognik

dognik New Member

Name:
    Nikos
    Thanks

At the slightly busier road we were a way back from the road and sat by a large oak tree for 5 minutes or so. The side road where we live has very little traffic and not too fast. On the walk back she was much better.
  5. dognik

dognik New Member

Name:
    Nikos
    Off to the local lake today to see the ducks.

Tilly showed a little interest in the ducks but no sign of a chase response or barking. She enjoyed meeting all the people. A little wary at first of the joggers but in the end wanted to join in.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  6. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    My dog would do that it gets better!!

Millie would scream when other dogs approached and run away as fast as her feet could carry!

Now she loves dogs but hates meeting them on the lead because so many dogs have not been trained propperly they charge at her not with any ill intent but its quite intimidating for a dog on a lead to be charged she is usually nervous when meeting terrior type dogs or larger breeds if she is on lead and they are off. She has improved a lot and im happy to say I can trust her enough that she wont bite another dog or person.

Very nervous around crowds on public paths but can happily walk down a busy high street and doesnt mind trains but doesnt like busses.

If something scairs her she still cowers to the ground or sits tightly and observes if she is curious about something but she lerns and gets over it, it doesnt bother her for long.

Funnily enough she is not bothered by high vis jackets at all. It all sounds like a lot but as I said she seems to eventually learn these things and get over them it just takes time and may take longer when their younger. Personally I would not worry about it too much some pups are just much more cautious then others,Millie is pretty sensible now :>
  7. debster

debster New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    sounds like she is having a ball i cant wait til sunday and our jrt puppy can go out for her first walk x
  8. dognik

dognik New Member

Name:
    Nikos
    Yes she is loving it, mostly.
    Only problem is the wife is getting all the walks, I am getting home after sunset.
    Oh well the weekend is coming.
  9. debster

debster New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    thats a shame dognik but the evenings will get lighter soon our little girl is really ready to go out we didnt get her until she was 10 weeks old so now having waited for all the vacinations to settle she is ready lol
    love to hear more how your little one is getting on x
  10. dognik

dognik New Member

Name:
    Nikos
    No reason to keep this thread to Tilly's walks please let us know how you get on.

If Tilly is anything to go by don't expect to get anywhere quick on the first walks. All these new smells, people and places.

One other thing we have found is that she likes the postman. I'm sure she will grow out of it.
  11. debster

debster New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    well our first walk went amazingly well she was a little scared of the cars at first but loved meeting everyone and the dogs struggled to get down when i picked her up lol