Pure black English BullMastiff Showing

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by 6JRT's, May 8, 2016.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Tina dogs don’t have to be KC registered for Fun Dog shows.
    Fun Dog Shows
    Any dog over 6 months may enter this type of show, and does not need to be KC registered

These shows are purely fun events to raise money for a local charity. They are usually held outside of Kennel Club rules.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Dog show was run by the KC for KC registered puppies aged 14 weeks to 12 months old.
    I went to help on The Rescue Home stall which was between the KC registration tent & Dog Trust stall, other stalls on same row as us was Laughing dog, Pedigree, Alpha, Butcher's, Dog o matic, Perfect Fit, The Ark, Home food, Every Dogs Needs, Traffic light harness/collar/leads, 3 dog grooming stalls & dog wasing service at end of row.
    There were roughly 20 more stalls behind us & 15 stalls down the side amongst all the lovely burger vans, fish & chip vans & my favourite ice cream vans
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I agree if dogs have to be KC registered to enter a fun dog show, how on earth do all those Xbreeds manage to enter.

Fun dog shows are just that, " fun" , there is no criteria on the dogs having to be KC registered., they are usually put on at a low level country show, training school, village fate and so on, they are usually a fun way to raise a bit of money for charity....
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    What was the KC registration tent ?
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm only surmising here but .....
    As part of the outreach project, (which should be called Register Your Doodle!), the Kennel Club now have a Companion Dog Register, and I am pretty sure that you are allowed to have some 'special' classes at a Companion Show, (formerly Exemption Show) , which are restricted to dogs which are registered on the KC Companion register.
    As I don't attend fun shows, I don't know how these are organised, but it is possible that the KC are out there in the field, publicising this register amongst pet owners. How else would they get to know about it?
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    If it was a KC registered show no puppies under 6 months are allowed to be shown.
    Even Fun Dog shows don’t allow puppies less than 6 months to be entered.

http://www.dorsetdog.com/type
  8. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    What was the name of the show Tina? Sounds like maybe Carole has it right if there was KC regulated classes being run too. But I've never seen such classes myself at any fun show I've been to. They may have pedigree classes running along side Novelty classes but these are not strict or regulated usually.
  9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Very good point Vee!
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    As Vee pointed out, if this show was run under KC rules, dogs under 6 mths can not be shown,

It would be interesting to see what show thus was ?
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, of course, you are quite right, dogs under 6 months can not be entered in Companion shows. No further suggestions.
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    The KC tent was where all pups at to be checked in
    The Next Generation is what was on the leaflet we had for out Pitch at the show that was in Lincoln.

Has I don't normally help out on The Rescue Home roadshow stall I don't know if this dog show was new thing or a long standing show.
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    What do you mean checked in ?
  14. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    That's what was on the tent
  15. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    To my knowledge black isn't acceptable. They are not pure black, they are brindle. Heavy brindle could appear black, but are still genetically a brindle dog. Just as some red brindle (liver) dogs can appear solid red. They are genetically brindle. Sometimes faint brindle is seen, other times you Mr not see it but they will produce brindle pups.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Forgive my ignorance of Bullbreeds, but does, 'not acceptable', mean that they never occur? A variety of breeds have contributed to the make up of the modern Mastiff and Bullmastiff, is it not possible that unacceptable colours still lurk in the background?
    I had a read around this poser, and found these two references the most interesting.

As usual, I have my fingers crossed that these links will work .......
    Pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2013/12/pied-pipers-and-blot-on-fancy's-landscape.html
    Not looking good ......
    And, www.davidhancockondogs.com/archives/archive_001_149/137.html
    (not the lurcher man). That's not looking good either.
    Hey ho! I keep trying.
  17. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    @CaroleC It really depends on the breed and the color. In some cases there isn't a way to know for sure, it's under debate.

In this case the dogs are brindle, an acceptable color. Black is an unacceptable color in a few bull / mastiff breeds or under debate.It is possible for black to have been in Bullmastiff, but being dominant it very well could have been lost. So there would be no way to have any pure black Bullmastiff now. Much the case is with Boxers, there was existance of black at one time (though possibly introduced by a different breed originally) but they were culled out until no more existed. Black Boxers today are either mixes or black brindles with heavy stripping.
    In Boerboels it is under debate. Some claim the color has always existed and never lost. Others say the current ones are mixes. I suspect both have some truth to them. There are some that show a undeniable Neo look. Though with how the dogs were bred the less common colors could still exist in pockets and with low frequency, these were working dogs bred for function. You need to be able to trace a line of black all the way back through the pedigree to have a pure dominant black dog though, failure to do this means a different dog breed was introduced.
    American Bulldog it depends on which standard you look at as to if black is allowed or not. Though black allowed in one standard, does not allow Merle or blue, which likely should not be in the gene pool.
    In Pit Bull black is acceptable, but Merle is not. It does not occur in pure bred Pits.
    In Bostons I think undesirable or DQ colors do occur in the breed. Seal/black or brindle is acceptable but for example I think liver (unacceptable) is part of the breed.
  18. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

The photo in your article is like the 2 I saw only the ones at show, but they were only young puppies
    photo from CaroleC article
    137-2   Black Welsh Mastiff.jpg
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Grrr! Why does the blogspot link not work?
    Even more puzzling is the case of the pieds. How can there three of them suddenly crop up in a litter of Gammonwoods. Apart from misalliance, the only explanation I can think of is that these unwanted colours have previously appeared in pockets, but been kept hidden from view.
    Sorry the previous link didn't work, but the Gammonwoods have documented their own story of the Gilpin Mastiffs. Fascinating.
    www.gammonwood.net>html>pieds
    (Everybody cross your fingers now).
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sorry Carole Link not working, is it one of these?
    http://www.gammonwood.net/2015/html/pieds.html
    http://www.gammonwood.net/2015/html/breeding.html
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks Vee, it is the first one. I will have just about sorted out where I am going wrong when it's time to pop my clogs.