Pure black English BullMastiff Showing

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by 6JRT's, May 8, 2016.

1. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    There were pied Mastiffs so I think that is a good explanation, white is controlled by recessive genes. There are also pied Boerboels.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    This dog dies not look like a bullmastiff or English mastiff, it clearly is some kind of crossbreed , to be honest I can see some Great Dane / Rottties in there.
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think " unacceptable " and " impossible " are two different things.. For instance in Boxers and PWD , they state a 1/3 white is acceptable in colour, but in both breeds you will get dogs that have more white than that, this comes under " unacceptable " but it happens due to white being inherent , but for instance you can't have a black boxer because black is not in the genetic make up, nor could you have a brindle PWD, to achieve this you need something else added to the genetic name up.

Unacceptable does not mean the dog us not pure breed, just that it's not preferred ..... But to get a colour that is not in the genetic makeup, you have to add something else.
  5. Guardbullmastiff

Guardbullmastiff New Member

Name:
    Stevo
    I came across this forum and was reading that you saw a black bullmastiff puppy. I can tell you I breed bullmastiffs and I have a bullmastiff puppy that looks dark but it isn't. Its 6 wks old and you can see the brindle just coming out
  6. Guardbullmastiff

Name:
    Stevo
  7. Guardbullmastiff

Name:
    Stevo
    You can see the brindle in top of her head and starting to show some on the side of her body. It's hard to see but it's there.
  8. Guardbullmastiff

Name:
    Stevo
    Top of her head brindle starting to show. She'll be a red brindle 20180617_154001.jpg
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Guardbullmastiff, welcome to the forum. You could well have the explanation for the puppy that 6JRT's saw at the show. Unfortunately s she is not a member these days, so it is unlikely that she will comment.
  10. Guardbullmastiff

Name:
    Stevo
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi CaroleC, thank you and I appreciate the reply. I was hoping to help her with the coat of a bullmastiff. I always get that one person asking the same thing for a jet black/dark bullmastiff. It's a constant explanation that there is no such thing. And finally I have actually 2 puppies in this litter that look black that I can show them in person that the brindle is there even though they look dark. Hopefully she'll get a chance to rejoin and read the comments again. Once again thank you for your reply
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello and welcome to Breedia :039:

Thank you for your explanation and the pictures of your pup - the lighting is perfect and yes, the brindle in top of her head and starting to show some on the side of her body can be seen, even though faintly at her age.

It will be very interesting if you can post some pictures of her when she is a few weeks older, to see how her colouring changes.
  12. Guardbullmastiff

Name:
    Stevo
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    I can see her confusion it's misleading if not seen in a bright environment, but even here you can still see her brindle coming out 20180617_154034.jpg
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What a beautiful - and big - puppy! :007: If those photographs were taken when she was six-weeks old, how much did she weigh? Never having had a large breed dog it always amazes me to see the size of their puppies - my little Griffons having produced such tiny pups. I do not remember what they weighed at birth but probably no more than ~three ounces.

My current little one, who is a cross Doxie/Minpin was ~400-450g at three-weeks old and at just gone three years is now ~5.7kg [she will be weighed again next week when my vet comes to give her her Parkworm shot and Bravecto. I think she is due for a Drontal Plus as well.
  14. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Thank you for the explanation and photos. What a cute girly. That member 6JRTS was run off the forum for being dishonest and she won't be back. Or at least I hope she won't.
  15. Guardbullmastiff

Name:
    Stevo
    Malka likes this.
    Actually she was 5.5 wks and weighing 10lbs. I'll be taking her weight soon and update some new pictures
  16. Guardbullmastiff

Name:
    Stevo
    FB_IMG_1529535876776.jpg This is my Hera the momma of the brindle puppy. She's a redfawn brindle bulmastiff..
  17. Guardbullmastiff

Name:
    Stevo
    FB_IMG_1529535950097.jpg And this is my Thor father of the brindle puppy, he's a fawn bullmastiff
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Looking forward to seeing them! Are you going to keep her, and if so, what will you name her?
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hera and Thor are both stunning and I love the happy expression on Thor's face! From the picture of Hera I can see where your "black" puppy will be a [dark?] red brindle. Not that I know anything about the various genes that make up colouring - there are many Breedia members who are the experts on that subject - I am definitely not one of them.

My Griffons were all red - red dams and sires - although a couple of slightly blonder pups did appear, but there were no possible other breeds involved - not in the five generation pedigrees that were traceable. As for my last three, Lexi was a mutt - black and tan at six weeks although more tan than black. Pereg, as in my avatar, another mutt of no known origin, was 90% black at 6 weeks but like Lexie, ended up more tan than black.

Tikva is red. Just as her Doxie momma was red and her Minpin sire was also red. But as she has grown she shows a slightly darker red on the lower third of her ears, the same darker red brown in a two inch wide stripe down her back, and her typical Doxie tail has a darker top to it. Definitely no black, just a slightly darker red, so where that came from I have no idea, especially as I do not know anything about Doxies or Minpins. But from the first photograph I took of them squashed in a tiny box with their momma, they all had that darker colouration on their ears and down their backs.
    [​IMG]
    Momma was a 6-year-old maiden who was unknowingly caught... she was a very large and obese standard Doxie

Lexi, Pereg and Tikva had/have three things in common. Lexi had a tiny white patch under her chin. Pereg had a tiny white patch on the side of the top of her nose. And Tikki had that tiny white patch just under her chin. Which she still has
    [​IMG]
  20. Guardbullmastiff

Name:
    Stevo
    Yes we are keeping her and her name will be Delilah
  21. Guardbullmastiff

Name:
    Stevo
    Wow beautiful Picture..I love that red colouring.