Question for the Springer owners. Questions

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by MichaelM, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    They look nice dogs, but not for me, i wouldn't have any spaniel that i intend to work around here with a full tail
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    I totally agree. But there is a docking ban in place in Scotland. The big, well known kennels up there have ways to get around it ...

As long as people are happy to buy pups from non tested parents breeders will be reluctant to have their breeding dogs tested. :-(
  4. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    I won't be working on live shoots, so in that sense it would be as a pet.

But firstly, there will be training classes (for both socialization and training). Some "fun" agility, and I've "dabbled" with a bit of tracking also. Then there's searching for hidden toys, controlled retrieves (not "just" playing fetch), and directed retrieves/searchers, and swimming.

My "big thing" though (some are into agility in a big way, some schutzhund etc etc) is simply having the dog off lead and having fun. I'm surrounded by areas suitable for walking, and nothing gives me more pleasure than seeing them run around following the scent of whatever it is they're following.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    I can see the argument that testing isn't as important for a successful working dog (Darwinism in action !), but not all those breeding their dogs are necessarily breeding from their best workers.

I've just looked at the Buccleuch site again - not one of their listed springers or their cocker returns any test results, and yet they're fully booked and as Lizzy said have the spaniel champion.
  6. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    All great, but a lot of the bigger kennels will not sell to none working homes and have a waiting list of working homes, in that case can i urge you to look at the springer rescues, they all have a lot of young dogs in, with more waiting in the wings
  7. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    Interesting you should say that, as we've had discussions (self and mrs.m) over the rights and wrongs of buying a pup when there are so many dogs in rescue (I'm wanting a pup, she'd prefer the rescue route).

We bought Ella from a breeder, Locky came from the sspca at almost 10 years of age and has been a lot of work - extremely rewarding - but not an easy dog, though he's great now and apparently I do have a soft spot for him!

Bear came to us for fostering at 13 weeks o age, but settled for good and didn't leave! He's been a breeze - he's absolutely fantastic.

I help out various rescues as I can - home checks & assessments, and it genuinely saddens me what goes on out there... far too many idiots buying dogs on a whim. I'll cut this short as it's building to a rant, but there are some rescues that I'm not willing to deal with...
  8. Rolosmum

Rolosmum New Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Second that, Sgurr I am sure will know of others and be happy to recommend other breeders that she knows health test. Also the fb group is a good place to ask as mentioned.

I have two working bred springers, neither were health tested, but next time i would look for testing, although the breeder mine came from had no issues and worked/trialled etc i would still be keen to have more assurity next time, if they would sell them to me.
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Some lovely springers in here. Ellard - did Tom M breed your Callum?

MichaelM - it might be worth having a word with that breeder.