Question for those more experienced Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Question for those more experienced

Hello,

Its been a while since I have been on this forum. We still have our Lab mix Copper who will be 11 in January. He has started slowing down a bit and stands with his hind legs bent. He sometimes will slip when he gets up as well. We have started him on a joint supplement bought from the vet.

My question is should we get another dog while Copper is still with us or wait? I don't want to put stress on him but wonder if a younger dog would perk him up a bit. We have been really thinking on this and I would love to get some advice from those who have more experience than I do. Thank you for any advice and insight.

We truly want what is best for Copper so please let me know what you honestly think.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Really depends on the dog. When my dog got old she didn't really want to be bothered by other dogs, she used to like playing and being with the other dogs. How does he act around other dogs of he interact with any outside the home? Is he still happy or playful with them?
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Oooh. Good question!

My parents have 2 dogs he is around a lot. One is an 11 yr old Miniature Pinscher/Maltese mix and the other is a 7 month old German Shepherd/Husky mix. The Min Pin mix does not want to play much any more so Copper does not bother with her. The German Shepherd mix is all over him and while he won't bite her, I get the feeling he'd rather not play.

He still loves to play ball with us though. Its like he has forgotten how to play with other dogs.

Thanks for the question and making me think!
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    He's probably finding playing with the more boisterous GSD/Husky mix is putting too much strain on his joint so would really prefer not to play.

It sound like he has arthritis and it's a painful condition even though dogs stoically don't complain too much.

Personally, I would enjoy Copper and let him have his peace in his golden years
  6. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I am thinking at this point letting him live the rest of his life in peace is the best decision. Thank you for your insight and advice.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Agree with Chris. Unless you have the opportunity of rehoming a gentle, middle aged companion, I would let Copper live his life as a single pet.
    I think the biggest age difference I have had was with the two Lurchers. I think Mia was about nine when I rehomed Tweed, who was then around a year old. They had their walks together, and Mia would encourage Tweed to behave badly, but they were never a team, and I don't remember them playing together.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Just ask yourself one thing Jessica - and I think others have probably answered this. Would getting another dog be for Copper or for you. Because I started looking for another puppy when I realised that Lexi was not getting any younger and I could not bear the thought of not having a little one to share my life. And yes, when I brought Pereg home Lexi was really happy to have a baby companion but as Pereg grew Lexi sort of withdrew, even though I was not aware of it at the time.

I know now that Tikva will be the last wubble to share my life. And I treasure every second with her.
  9. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    With recent developments we will be waiting to get another dog.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Yes. Just love Copper while he is with you. Love him Jessica. Love him with all your heart. Love him with all the love you have.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I cannot find it at the moment - maybe I do not want to? But I remember posting and saying that I thought Pereg was not well. And everyone here on Breedia were with me.

And she is still the picture in my avatar, sitting looking out of the doorway as she always did. Tikva also stares out of the doorway - funny little girl is Tikva but I love her.