Questions Questions

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by Kyle Knigge, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Kyle Knigge

Kyle Knigge New Member

Name:
    Kyle

Questions

I have been reading a lot of the threads and I know this will be a lot of repeated questions, but I am just looking for more answers from owners to get an idea.

First off, my wife and I live in an apartment in Philly and we have seen a few people who have RR that live in apartments and said that the dog does just fine, given the right amount of exercise. I am not worried about the exercise part, since my wife and I are very active. I have always wanted a RR, but my wife is worried about the temperament and how this breed of dog is around other dogs and strangers. If you could tell me experiences you have had and some advice, I would greatly appreciate the input to hopefully put my wife's mind at ease. Thank you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Lots of socialization and training. Meet some, go to breeders homes, ect. Can be protective and aggressive breed. So you need to be prepared for that.
  4. Kyle Knigge

Kyle Knigge New Member

Name:
    Kyle

Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it!
  5. TruckeeCA

TruckeeCA New Member

Name:
    Matt
    I am currently on my 2nd and 3rd Ridgebacks (3 & 5 years old). I have had two females and one male. I do not know whether it is a coincidence or not, but in my experience there is a distinct difference in personalities between the genders. I have heard the breed described as aloof, indifferent towards strangers, etc. That would be a good description of the male. The females have been much more social and welcoming - very loving and sweet girls. None of my dogs has shown any signs of aggressiveness. I would not tolerate it and would not own a breed that was predisposed to that. That said, I have no doubt that the male would defend my family if needed. Not so sure about the females. As for apartment living, not sure. Depends on your particular situation. They need a lot of exercise - mine get 5-10 mile hikes multiple times a week along with daily 2-4 mile walks. They are large - my male is ~100 pounds, the female about 85. If the dog is going to be alone in the apartment regularly for long periods you may want to think about something else. And of course, a pic from last week in my back yard dogs.jpg ...
  6. Kyle Knigge

Kyle Knigge New Member

Name:
    Kyle

Beautiful dogs! Thank you for the information and I truly appreciate the advice!