Raw Diet? Diet

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by Albus_TheWestie, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Albus_TheWestie

Albus_TheWestie New Member

Name:
    Albus

Raw Diet?

Hi All,

I'm new here and I got a Westie puppy back in May. He's been an absolute delight so far. He does have the typical itchy Westie skin though and I want to do everything I can to keep him comfortable. I have talked to my vet and a few other Westie owners who have recommended a raw diet. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello there,

I don't have an experience with a raw diet when it comes to dogs as I have only ever fed dry to mine. @Malka feeds her Tikva raw though so I'm sure she'll put you on the right track. :)

Jane
    xx
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Innocence - Yes I am a raw feeder although hardly an expert, however I do not know anything about Westies or their skin problems, so I do not think I can advise @Albus_TheWestie however much I would like to do so.

I started feeding Pereg raw around mid 2011 because I wanted to know exactly what she was eating, being a bit concerned that possibly most, if all, brands of kibble might have something in them could be detrimental to her, due to her epilepsy.

So once I had weaned Tikva [onto human baby food] I started feeding her raw as well, although even before she was properly weaned I have her tiny bits of raw meat and fish [chewed by me - ugh!].

And just as I gave Pereg various vitamins and supplements, so I also give them to Tikva - although Tikki also has a coat and skin supplement that Pereg did not, but that is because Tikki has such a very short [and very shiny] Dachshund coat.

Raw feeding is nowhere as easy as just putting x amount of kibble into a bowl, but I would never change now. This is only my opinion and I would never push anyone into doing the same.
  5. westietude

westietude New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Raw is definitely best and always will be. Coconut oil internally and externally......good stuff . Colostrum good.