Rescued & Curious Questions

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by foosdiva, Mar 6, 2017.

1. foosdiva

foosdiva New Member

Name:
    Jamie

Rescued & Curious

We just brought home a dog and we are pretty sure she's a shar pei. We don't know anything about her besides her owners throwing her over a 6' fence and is still an absolute sweet heart. She seems to be younger. She did fantastic when we put a collar on her and took her on a walk with a lead. She also knew to sit, when asked, for a treat. We assume she didn't come from a breeder b/c she still has her dewclaws. I've been reading and reading to educate myself on the breed b/c I was absolutely clueless. We aren't absolutely sure she is all shar pei. It would't matter if she wasn't b/c she's so sweet. Should we take her to a vet to have her dewclaws removed? I read def. the back ones? I'll get a picture of her and post it.

Thanks for any help!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Poor baby! I don't know how some people can be so cruel.

My Shar-Pei doesn't have any rear dew claws, but I'm not sure whether she was born that way or her breeder declawed her before I had her at 8 weeks old.

As far as I understand declawing is only considered necessary if the claw is loose and only attached to the leg by skin. If it's attached to the bone of the leg, then it's normally left and trimmed like all the other claws. I'm sure someone will correct me though if I'm wrong,

Your vet is the best person to ask as he will know when he examines her

And can we have some pictures please?
  4. puppykisses

puppykisses New Member

Name:
    Andrea
    Karen87 likes this.
    I'm glad that this dog found her new family and home, you really are a good Samaritan. You didn't hesitate on providing her the love that the previous owners failed to do. BTW, what's her name? I will also advice that you take her to a vet to check if she's healthy enough.
  5. Karen87

Karen87 Member

Name:
    Karen
    Chester only has front dew claws and was born that way but not sure if it varies from dog to dog.
    Either way at least she's in a home where she's happy and loved. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see some pictures xx