Reverse sneezing Questions

Discussion in 'Pug' started by pugluva, Aug 2, 2014.

1. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol

Reverse sneezing

Does anyone's dog do this Morris has had a couple of episodes of it lately he's had a bit of foam in his mouth but nothing much. Gave him a squirt with a jiff lemon and he's been ok seems alright in himself not ill if he keeps doing it I take to the vet.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Apparently it's common in Chihuahuas - Chico's breeder says it tends to happen when they get over excited. She told me if it happens to just stroke his throat.

Hasn't happened so far though.
  4. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    Thanks Janet it only happens in the morning so far as we're getting ready for a walk. So could well be excitement I keep my eye on him any way.
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Chloe, my Tibetan Spaniel used to have attacks of reverse sneezing especially in summer when there was lots of dust around. It's not unusual in short muzzled dogs like pugs, Tibbies, Pei etc. I used to massage the bridge of her nose which seemed to help.
  6. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Azz likes this.
    My dog is a greyhound/lab cross and he has reverse sneezing as well. I mentioned it to the vet. He also seems to do it when there is high dust/pollen int he air.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not sure why/how squirting with a Jiff lemon would help. Little One occasionally had a few episodes of reverse sneezing when we went to bed at night, but just patting her gently on her back stopped them.
  8. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    My jack Russell was having a funny stuck in the throat kinda cough/noise today,don't know whether some food had got stuck or what,bit worrying though.cant say I've had reverse sneezing ,dogs are strange creatures!
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    TBH Ju, I had no idea that the episodes Little One had were reverse sneezing as I had never heard of it. It was only after I joined Dogsey and the subject came up that I realised that that was what it was.

Little One had crossed The Bridge quite a while before I joined Dogsey though - I only did that when Pereg's epilepsy started.
  10. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Blimey,I may have well not have noticed then
  11. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Rocky would do it sometimes, but I think it's when dirt got in there.

I am not sure what lemon would do tbh - if anything I would imagine it to be an irritant :/
  12. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    Reverse sneezing is very common in Chihuahua's. As a former breeder and now owned by six of them I've seen a lot of it. If your dog has allergies you'll see it more during allergy season. Also, inhaling the naturally occurring dust from a bowl of dry dog food can set it off at any time. Some dogs are more prone to it than others. The throat muscles seem to get very tense during a attack. I've found that a firm massage will stop it.