Rhodesian Ridgeback question ... would you buy one without a ridge? Discussions

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by Murf, May 24, 2012.

1. Logan Blake

Logan Blake New Member

Name:
    Logan Blake
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Logan Blake

Logan Blake New Member

Name:
    Logan Blake
    guess it depends on why u want it if it's specifically for the breed then no. if just for a pet/companion. then I guess if it's at the price u want. would want to know what it was mixed with because that is the one distinguishing characteristic of the breed
  4. TruckeeCA

TruckeeCA New Member

Name:
    Matt
    IMO, you get a specific breed for temperament and physical characteristics. In our case, we do a lot of hiking and my wife does long-distance running. A large dog provides some level of protection against human weirdo's on the trail and RR's are plenty intimidating in size while also having fantastic stamina for long-distance runs and hikes. Short answer - having a ridge is just cosmetic and has nothing to do with the fundamental characteristics of the breed. That said, both of mine have ridges.
  5. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yes I would certainly but a RR which did not Havre a ridge.

RR were developed as working dogs, I do not believe at all that the ridged ones are superior or that the ridge provides any advantage.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Why would it be pet / companion only? What work is the ridged one able to do that ridgeless is not? I find this assertion ridiculous. If I ever get a RR, I've toyed with the idea, I would want one specifically because he / she was a RR. But I would get with or without a ridge.

Mixed with? Lol. Your post is completely ignorant. Ridge is dominant trait and plenty ridgeback carry recessive ridgeless allele.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If I didn't want to attend breed shows, the absence of a ridge wouldn't bother me at all. I can see though, that a pet owner might think that this would make their puppy seem less recognisable as being pure bred.
    We don't see many RR's in working tests in the UK. Does anyone know why this should be? The modern RR seems to be biddable, and their conformation should suit working activities. Do they have too many hound characteristics to be reliable in test conditions?
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Thats interesting I don't know about working test? But in the US there are people who use them to hunt (various types of hunting) , to move livestock and be all around farm dogs.
  9. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Duplicate sorry