Rottweilers? Tell me about yours! General Chat

Discussion in 'Rottweiler' started by jaymacv, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    Parough likes this.

Rottweilers? Tell me about yours!

:grin: I like rottweilers.
    I would like to know about yours, past and present.
    E.g. are their tails undocked? Name? Age? Do they drool? Are they gassy?
    Mostly nosiness.
    Pictures welcome :p *hint hint*
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. kcggnbambi

kcggnbambi New Member

Name:
    KC
    Parough likes this.
    :grin: I like rottis too...

My baby Bruce has his tail, he's not gassy:lol: , he doesn't drool, age unknown, maybe 4-5, I've only had him a month. And I don't know how to put pictures in yet! Though I wish I did...

He rarely barks (maybe 4 times since I've had him, and its only a quick "woof") but when he does he is pretty loud. And a bit scary. If I had to describe him in one word it would be "unflappable". Nothing upsets him, he loves kids (and mine are very hands-on with him) and noise and other dogs and people. He is possesive with toys although he does let the kids take them, and gentle when he "steals" food from them too. My toddler has a great fake way of saying "Oh no!" after he hands Bruce a biscuit, cheese, dummy, baby toy etc.

Although I don't like it, he is VERY protective of my kids in the pram when we are out walking. Staring people down if they happen to walk past.
  4. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    Parough likes this.
    Kiki's not a pure Rottie, she's crossed with a GSD, but looks quite Rottie-like!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She's coming up to 4 this year - we got her around 9 months old, as her old owner was in the marines and unable to keep her anymore. She's been the near perfect dog, great with kids, other dogs, and quick to learn new behaviours and tricks. Her only real downside is her high prey drive, which we're constantly battling against - doing a lot better now than in the past.
    She's not docked - don't think you can dock crossbreeds anyway, but you can kind of see why they do dock tails, her tail has a very potent whipping effect. Cups of tea are no longer safe on the coffee table as she's just the right height to knock them over with her tail! She gets a real fast wag going when she's pleased to see you - infact, her whole bum wags along with her tail!
    She doesn't drool, not that much anyway. She's got a slightly narrower head though, and a longer snout (from the GSD side) so she's not as "jowly" as some dogs. However, if you've got something that she thinks smells delicious, the drool will start flowing :lol:
    She's not gassy - she doesn't have much of a doggy odour at all really, which I contribute to being raw fed. She did have a chronic gas issue, but when I switched to raw, I soon figured out why. Lamb makes her windy - and I'd been feeding her on a lamb flavoured kibble! I limit the amount of lamb in her diet now and she's been fine. You can soon tell if she's had lamb ribs for breakfast as she'll spend the rest of the day stinking the house out!
    She's a lovely dog, and she's definately won me around to Rotties!
  5. kcggnbambi

kcggnbambi New Member

Name:
    KC
    BEAUTIFUL photos, she is just gorgeous...
  6. tokiayla

tokiayla New Member

Name:
    Kay
    WOW Kiki is gorgeous - what a looker!
  7. Indie85

Indie85 New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Parough likes this.
    Wow kiki is amazing. Never seen a dog like that before, what a beautiful mix of the 2 breeds.

I have a 12 week old Rottweiler puppy. He has his tail (i would have refused to buy one without) & so far no drool. And yes he is very gassy! He's from a long line of working dogs and has a very high play drive :) I plan to start Schutzhund training with him soon :grin:

This is Hades: (pronounced Hay-deez)
    I havent got round to taking my camera outside with him yet :roll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Parough likes this.
    I've had three Rotts over the years. First was Brandy, very stocky old-fashioned type of bitch (Romanmoor lines) who lived until she was 10.5yrs old. Never ailed a thing until that year when she got a tumour and had to be PTS. She was classsed as old for a Rottie, they don't tend to get into their teens often sadly.:-(

Ozzy was my second Rottie - it's a sad tale about him, which if you want to know the full story, please check out my blog.

Then onto presently - Marius - he is coming up to 4 this December. Absolutely fabulous gentle giant. He is the light of my life and a truly wonderful ambassador for the breed. He is fabulous with my little Frenchie-girl Lola, who is an imp of mischief and he is unbelievably tolerant of her and worships the ground she walks on!! He has a wonderful happy attitude to life, doesn't take himself too seriously (despite looking like he does in the pics!). He never sulks or is moody, always a happy-boy. I literally couldn't ask for more from a dog.

Marius is without doubt, the best example of the breed I have owned.

In answer to your questions - yes all my dogs have been docked. They already were when we got them (the legislation hadn't kicked in at the time).

No, none of them drooled or were gassy - if you want to know about gas, try a Frenchie in the house!!:blush: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Noise-levels - well, my experience is that Rotts give voice when they are protecting their territory, they don't gob-off all day long like some breeds. Marius barks if he hears strangers, but he just gives a warning and that's the end of it.

If I wanted to state something about Rotts, it is that they are not a dog for everyone. They are extremely intelligent, powerful dog that needs a firm but kind hand. Being naturally dominant, they are quite willful at times and can challenge authority. If they sense weakness, they will attempt to become top-dog very quickly. Therefore a specific type of owner is required to make the most of it's amazing attributes - sadly they often fail to get the correct owner. :(

I adore the breed and even though Marius will be our last Rottie owned, I will always continue to love them and admire them greatly.

Here are some pics of my Rotts past and present:-

Brandy on the left - Ozzy as a pup

[​IMG]

Ozzy

[​IMG]

MARIUS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
  9. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    what gorgeous rotties and rottie crosses!
    Handsome! Hades is so cute!
  10. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    Parough likes this.
    hi :)

... i do not live with a rott but i spend a lot of time with one ... this is my friends dog chevrolet 'chevy'

[​IMG]

.. chev is a lovely, lovely dog,poor girlie has ocd and has had tplo surgery(that her body ended up rejecting :-() and has ear problems and is only 2 :-( (she was from health tested lines and is kc reg)the reason i mention this is her temperament,the things we have had to do to her (as her vn) and she is still loving, gorgeous chev,only last week i was thinking to myself,as i was on her bed in the livingroom, cleaning her very sore ear,on my own,with my face head height with hers.. was wow this is a rott ;-) i love her to pieces :)

she does dribble and drool :-(
  11. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    I have a 3 1/2 month old Rottie named Piper. I got her when she was just 7 weeks old, from my daughters fiancé,he has both of her parents, and though she doesn't have papers doesn't matter to me I love her just as much. She is very energetic, and loves to go on walks by the creek, and in the woods, she checks everything out...very inquisitive! I've had some "issues" with her, but I haven't had a puppy for a long time. I had just lost my 2 dogs,ages 12 and 7, from the same thing, sudden paralysis in the hind legs.I was devastated, to say the least, but after awhile, came Piper:) She has helped me in so many ways, but at the rate she's growing, she will soon out weigh me! She gets the hiccups often, and gassy...oh ya!
    [​IMG]
  12. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
  13. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    I'm rather new at this, so please bear with me, and I welcome any hints or suggestions.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Patty, I would be surprised if you get a reply as these posts are from 2010. Nice to see the picture of Piper though.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Parough likes this.
    Piper is lovely! :)
  16. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    Thank you, she's great, and I love her very much. I didn't know that these were from, can you please let me know where I should be postingthings?I seem to be having a hard time finding my way around the site. Thanks:)
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Patty - click on "Dog Forum" next to where it says "Members" and the menu will appear. Just follow it to where you want and click on that. You have already found the Rotties section but of course you are welcome to post wherever you like.

We were all new at one time and had to learn what was where. :)

Regarding when a thread was started, just look at the top of the post and it will tell you. As an example, your post shows that it was posted at 5.32am today - which is obviously not your time but I have set the forum to show my time. Anything before a week ago will show the date, so the OP is dated 9 Nov 2010.
  18. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    Thanks for the help.
  19. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    My first Rottie,"Shadow",I acquired from a kennel that had poor living conditions, and after almost losing her a few times,she made it:) Her growth was stunted, she was only about 60 lbs. Her tail was docked, she didn't drool,and wasn't gassy. She was very loving with me and my kids,but did not like men.She lived until she was 8, she was a great dog.
    My new puppy"Piper" does have her tail docked, doesn't drool, but is very gassy at times.She is very intelligent,independent, energetic,and stubborn. She came from a backyard breeder, and was very unhealthy when I got her. She learns very fast, but I am still having problems potty training her.She has thought me much patience,but I love her,and was immediately attatched the moment I got her.
  20. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    BYB could be reason you're having problems toilet training her, as the mama dog would of helped train her, but coming from a BYB then almost certainly mama dog would of been caged 24/7 without anywhere for her to go toilet so she would of at to go where she slept/ate etc
  21. Parough

Parough New Member

Name:
    Patty
    The mom wasn't caged,they have both parents and live in a fenced backyard. They also have 3 young children who live there, and from what I understand,isn't the best of conditions, which is probably why she was so unhealthy when I got her. I heard that one had died from parvovirus.Im so happy to get her out of there...she's been checked by the vet, wormed, 3 times,and is current on her shots. She is now, a very healthy pup.