Rough collies smart or average? Questions

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Voxelviel, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Voxelviel

Voxelviel New Member

Name:
    Christine

Rough collies smart or average?

Everywhere on the Internet says rough collies are very smart. I was looking to get a dog I can train to do obedience trials and contests. My mother, a vet, believes rough collies are dumb. She says that breeders over the years have "made their skull more narrow and less room for a brain." I can't find anything on the Internet to support collies are dumb, so I feel like I'm only getting one side of the story. Could anyone who's owned rough collies testify if they're highly trainable or no? Thank you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Voxelviel likes this.
    I have never had any experience with the breed, so, i cannot say for sure, but, i think if you train your dog well you may surprise your mum
  4. Alexandru Anca

Alexandru Anca New Member

Name:
    Alex
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    It my first Collie, 1,3 year old, a she dog. They are not dumb at all. At least mine, we don't have to many in my county. They like to train and please the owner. it is a shy breed, sometimes stubborn or they know the command but just ignored, but any breed has time when they are stubborn or 'lazy' especial in the first months of the training. I was working abroad in UK from her 6 month of age and come back after 6-7 months. Though nobody teach her anything all these months, when I restart the training she remember everything! The are not natural fighter like malinois or german shepherd dog, but is a lovely pet. She never start a fight whit other dogs and she ignore totally the 'rascals', aggressive and to jumpy dogs. Interesting her attitude has effects on those aggressive dogs, like they calm down too. They never go far from the owner or his family member. No I don't think the Collies are dumb.
  5. Ryan Olivas

Ryan Olivas New Member

Name:
    Ryan Olivas
    If you train your collie enough you might prove your mum wrong, also collies are known to be responsive and also fast.
  6. agility collie mom

agility collie mom New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    Savannah my profile picture is the smartest collie I have ever had the pleasure of partnering with. She does however like to do things her way sometimes because she is also very independent. Love the breed am on my fifth one. I find that the boys like to please you the girls like to know what is in it for them!!