Royal mail are trying to do themselves out of business General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by 6JRT's, Dec 15, 2014.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz and CaroleC like this.

Royal mail are trying to do themselves out of business

I went to post a parcel today, weight less then half kilo, yet royal mail tried to charge me £35 because it was glass, yet couldn't guarantee it get there in one piece, or next day delivery wanted another £3 for guarantee delivery by 1pm
    I told woman at counter forget it, came home & was going through the delivery companies, all quoted me around the £5 mark for guarantee delivery & to arrive in one piece, I was just about to book a delivery company, when I saw a advert saying motorbike courier guarantee same day delivery if booked before 2pm, I phoned them & they quoted me £3 for next day delivery or £5 for on the day delivery, I said next day please, a man on a moterbike turned up wrote me a receipt out & said I pay once delivered, I been given a tracking number & can start tracking my parcel as from 8am in morning.

Its totally ridiculous the prices that royal mail are charging, I am going to use the motorbike courier service from now on & the man with a van courier for the larger bulky items.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    £35 - ridiculous! I've recently had to pay more postage on two parcels than the gifts inside cost!

Glad you found a solution.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Same here Janet the item was only worth £2, has I had brought the glasses from a carboot, 6xChampagne glasses each glass had different coloured stem, very 50's/60's retro style, my friend is into retro stuff.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    That sounds the sort of thing I would like - I love coloured glass.

You got a bargain for £2!
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Janet likes this.
    They look like these ones
    L_14476_SY30401_web_version.jpeg
  7. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    That's disgusting! I ordered several interactive games for the dogs Christmas presents from Petplanet UK on the 6th December and was quite outraged by having to pay £20 to have them delivered by courier (DPD). Because they didn't have one of the games in stock I instructed them not to send the order until it was complete. The parcel left Edinburgh on the 10th and according to the tracker will be delivered sometime tomorrow, so 6 days in total. Not bad considering by the time it arrives it'll have travelled nearly 2000 miles!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    Beautiful glasses Tina - as for Royal Mail, no wonder it costs me a fortune if I want to buy something from Amazon or eBay. Strangely enough though that registered mail from China is free?

I guess I will not be getting my M&S Christmas puds and my mince pies this year now. :089:
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I meant to do an online order for some M & S food goodies, to be collected from the nearest store nearer Christmas. I knew the cut off date for ordering was today, but hadn't realized it was 5 p.m so I missed it!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    Well they will not send them to me but I was lucky enough the last couple of years when someone bought for me and send them.

Oh how I would love to be able to buy some of their goodies... SIGH

[greedy witch Malka!]
  11. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I know the profits of M & S are going down every year (and I'm not surprised - it is rare that I can find anything in the clothes line that I like) but I think if they could start a food delivery service they would do well. You can order festive stuff online, but you have to go to a store to collect it.
  12. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    I've always bought my underwear from M&S even when I lived in South Africa where for some unknown reason M&S was called Woolworths! As there are no M&S stores in Hungary I looked online to see whether I could order from the UK. Apparently no, if you want clothes you have to order them from M&S in either France or Germany but when you go to their websites neither of them deliver to Hungary! I've now ordered underwear from Asda UK (even though the quality isn't quite as good) who are happy to send clothes anywhere in the EU..
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    M&S used to supply their Out store to Israel. Then then they boycotted us.

Oh well, such is life.

I cannot order from Asda UK because guess what...

But for the last few years some sent me an M&S vegetarian pud and mince pies but that does not happen any more.
  14. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    6JRT's likes this.
    Postal prices are outrageous everywhere. I have had a penpal in Australia for going on 43 years. We used to send each other packages of little things we'd spend several months collecting by sea mail. Slow but cheap. We don't do it anymore because the price went up too high. I don't even know if sea mail exists anymore and the post master looked at me like I was crazy went I asked last year.
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Well my glasses arrived in Leeds in tact, I tracked them from 8am this morning & they arrived at my friends home at 9:45am, that's just 1 hour & 45 mins after they left the Derby motorbike courier office.

:041: :041: :041: :041: :041: :041: :041: :041: :041: :041:

However the Christmas card I posted on Saturday which is only going up road to Nottingham as still yet to arrive, plus how long have royal mail been charging 62p & 53p for stamps for normal size envelopes, never mind the 73p to £2.38 stamps for large letters.

:102: :102: :102: :102: :102: :102: :102:
  16. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    The dogs Christmas goodies arrived a 5.30 pm about 10 minutes after the courier driver had phoned me. I'm now waiting for 3 books to arrive from the UK by airmail. Just hope they arrive for Christmas 'cos I'm running out of things to read .... I'd hate to be reduced to reading the back of a cornflake packet on Christmas morning!
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    All I wanted was an M&S pudd........................:089: