Scotland to ban the electric collar General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Chris B, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris

Scotland to ban the electric collar

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I just wonder how effective a ban will really be as anyone can still buy them quite easily on the net ect: People that are going to use and abuse them are going to do that anyway.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    This is what worries me - anyone can buy anything on the net.

I wanted to buy an EzyDog collar to match a harness I had - and then I saw "wonderful" reports for the electronic collars they sold. When I queries why they sold such things [as well as spiked collars] they said "well people want them to train their dogs".

Needless to say the basic collar I had wanted to buy did not come from them.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    If there is a will to enforce it (and that's a bit IF) then it would be relatively easy as they are very easy to identify when on the dog. Unfortunately, like the 'on lead only' and 'picking up' rules, having the will to enforce them is a big problem.

However, that said, it will put a lot off buying them if they know that they are not legal to use which has to be a step in the right direction
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Chris, it is mandatory for dogs to have yearly rabies shots here. I would earn a fortune if I could point out the dogs who have never had any one.

Dogs must not be left off loose, must wear a tagged collar. Again I would earn a fortune because I see far too many of them

But there who obey the laws and they who do not take any notice of whether something is legal or not.

And the problem is that who, if anyone, will take any notice of complaints?
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It really is brilliant news and well overdue.

I often wonder how history will look back on us and our treatment of animals
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Someone, yonks ago, had an Ezydog harness for sale, and I bought it for Pereg. But I wanted a matching collar and found a company who sold Ezydog products... but they also sold shock collars.

I did not buy an Ezydog collar from them.

How can people "train" their dogs with pain and think it is OK?
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    KC Quote (but today’s news will ensure dogs are trained using positive methods, free from pain.)

Whilst I welcome the news, I think the KC is being naïve in thinking that those that use them will stop.