Sheepdog training holidays? General Chat

Discussion in 'Working Dogs Forum' started by Moobli, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty

Sheepdog training holidays?

Just musing on possible future projects, and wondered whether anyone would consider a sheepog training weekend - (try your dog out on sheep, that sort of thing), as well as helping out on a sheep farm ... easy stuff, like feeding pet lambs, playing with puppies etc :grin: )

It couldn't happen while we are still here, but at some point in the not too distant future when we hopefully have a place of our own, would it be a viable idea?

What sort of things would people expect to do? What sort of self-catering accommodation would make it more attractive (ie would a decent static caravan or two be enough, or would people only go if there was a nice cottage etc?)?

Thanks for any input.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    I would love it:grin: :grin: i think a nice caravan would be fine, and perhaps somewhere to park one if someone brought their own, obviously with adequate fencing to stop "the explorers":roll: dont know about playing with pups you could end up than less than you started with.
    I think its a brilliant idea Kirsty :grin: just go with what you would like:grin:
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks for the positive feedback Jeanette, and I will take on board what you said about someone bringing their own caravan - I never even thought of that :)
  5. tiggers mum

tiggers mum New Member

Name:
    mel
    Fab idea, put me and Skye down for it please !!!
  6. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    me first :grin: :grin: :grin:
  7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    That would be amazing, and I am betting many people would be interested in it. I certainly would. I would quite happily sleep in a barn with the sheep! :lol:
  8. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I think you would get a lot of interest, especially if you opened it up to all herding breeds
  9. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    :001: A few people do it already. The project I used to work for helped advise new rural businesses and sort out all the grant and planning work for them.
    There is Tom Longton at Quernmore in Lancashire who I know locally and a couple more were definitely thinking of it.
    I'm pretty sure Barbara Sykes does residential courses for owners and dogs over in Yorkshire.

PS - I've posted a question about herding - please answer it because I'd appreciate your thoughts!
  10. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    LOL thanks, although it could be a few years off yet ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great - I did have an inkling that it could be of interest to some, but it is great to do the market research and hear that people do think it would be a viable idea.

Definitely cava, that is what we would do.
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thomas Longton was my original mentor :lol:. I used to live in a village just outside Lancaster and both my original collies came from him, and he taught me all the basics of training a sheepdog :grin: He is a top handler and trainer and I feel lucky to have been trained by him :grin: Oh and his Shepherd's Barn (self-catering barn conversion) is absolutely gorgeous ... but expensive too :?

Yes, there are a few people already do it in N England, but not sure about Scotland. I suppose there are bound to be a few, and I will do a lot more market research into it before deciding one way or another :)

I have replied to your herding thread, but I can't watch utube unfortunately (or should that be fortunately ;-) :mrgreen: )
  12. TBBS

TBBS New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Yes please, put me on the list, but if it's Scotland it would probably be more like a weeks holiday as it's quite a long way.
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Great news, another potential customer :) I am sure if we had self-catering caravans or cottage, we could certainly accommodate you for a week :grin:
  14. majuka

majuka New Member

Name:
    Jane
    I think it is a fab idea Kirsty! Would it be just for people to try their own dogs though? I would love to try but Max wouldn't be the right sort of dog for it. For dogless people or people with dogs that might pose a risk to the sheep, or have no interest or ability, would you have one of your dogs that they could work. I'm just wondering if that would give you a bigger market?x
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Another excellent idea Jane, and one that we could definitely incorporate into the plans :) Thanks :grin:
  16. scout75

scout75

Name:
    scout
    Great idea! :grin:

I also think allowing people to bring their own caravan is a good idea as well as having a static caravan available.

I don't really know much about sheep herding but if you had an enclosed field and maybe some fun agility equipment you could also market it to people who want a nice doggy holiday.
  17. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Another good idea, thanks Fiona. Will have to see where we end up eventually and how much spare land we have etc.

Thanks for the idea though - it's a good one :)
  18. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    I once read that it wasn't a good idea to teach a dog herding "for fun" unless you were going to continue it if the dog enjoyed it and be very careful on walks near livestock as once they get a taste for it, they'd keep wanting to herd. Is there any truth in this, do you know? If so then it would be worth making sure people are aware of it, but if not then it's definately something I'd consider, when Kiki was younger she escaped from the garden once or twice and decided to herd up the cows! Fortunately the cows just ignored her and moved to a group and she came back, proud of herself, and my mum made sure to make the garden a bit more secure, but I think Kiki has a natural desire to herd! She ignores the cows now though so I wouldn't want to teach her herding behaviour for it to become an obsession and put her at risk around any livestock.
  19. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I would never advise anyone to take their dog to sheep unless they were keen on keeping the training up. I think it is certainly a case of awakening an instinct, that is then difficult to supress.
  20. Dilkara

Dilkara New Member

Name:
    Dee
    I was just going to say yes, great idea! But... I live in a rural area with lots of sheep. Ludo ignores them at the moment and we can walk within 5 ft of one without him looking at it. I don't know if I'd want to teach him they are fun things?
  21. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

It sounds like a totaly lovely idea for a holiday
    In my dreams I would love to try something like that with my dogs, but I know in reality they are more likely to be totaly hooligans joyriding sheep :( but even the chance to help out a little and mibby work with an experienced dog?
    But I do think it is a lovely idea and I am sure people would be up for it (Im sure to be putting my name on the list)