Should I get a Newfie? Discussions

Discussion in 'Newfoundland' started by TeenageCanineLover, Nov 24, 2014.

1. TeenageCanineLover

TeenageCanineLover New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Azz likes this.

Should I get a Newfie?

Hi guys,
    If you search Leonberger on the forums you can see that I am conflicted about whether to add a male Newf or a Leo to my canine family.
    Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance. x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  4. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Yes i have read they're profiles and have researched both breeds to the best of my ability.

If I'm being utterly honest I don't know which breed is more suited to me both have their advantages and disadvantages. However, for convenience and support I feel that a Newfie would be a better match as there are several owners in my area and it would be easier to get support and advice from them. But I do not think that this should be the deciding factor.

Conflicted and searching for answers,
    emma xxx
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I imagine - but I don't know - that a Newfie might be easier to get.

As Azz (sorry about the alliteration!) says, they are both fantastic breeds. When I lived in Knutsford, there was a family with two Newfies (one of them was at that time the oldest one in the country) and they both had the wonderful nature you would expect. Each year in the May Day Parade the Newfoundland Club would take part, with the owners in Edwardian dress, and it was a lovely sight to see.

When the old one died, they replaced it with another, a Landseer type. It grew to be much taller than most, and was very unpredictable. My son was once walking past and it lunged at him and caught him on the arm, luckily he was wearing a very thick jacket. So, in spite of having very experienced owners, this own turned out bad.

I am sure that is very rare though. And if there are lots of Newfie owners in the area, it would be helpful to have their support and advice. I wonder too if they have get togethers and training days.

I ams ure you will have enormous fun whichever you get.
  6. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Yes I hope so too.
    Just today a litter was advertised so maybe it would be wiser to get a newf.
    I won't be making any hasty decisions just yet mind you but I have already been in contact with the breeder. Fingers crossed someone (my mom) will agree with me :p
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    swimdog likes this.
    A key consideration must be, how tolerant are you to slobber? The Newfie breeders are so philosophical about it, and carry their towels and bibs, but I'm afraid it would drive me (literally), up the wall!. For a Beagle, Eddie is loose lipped and can make quite a bit of slobber - especially at feeding time - but nothing like the amount that Newfies produce. Such a beautiful breed though - and some really top breeders are over the water.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Good point Carole. Shedding I do not mind but no way could I cope with slobber.
  9. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Neither shedding nor slobber bother me but thanks for making the point :)
  10. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    CaroleC likes this.
    Drool is very manageable.
    Drool rag in pocket or purse, drool rag on every couch arm, drool rag by all doorways, drool rag in every vehicle, 2 drool rags in kitchen, and 1 drool rag in bathroom. (he gets wife more often then I do with leaving the lid up)
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @TeenageCanineLover This may be impracticable for you, but there is a two year old Landseer male Newfie looking for a home. He has been in kennels for over 5 weeks and is starting to become stressed. There is a post by the kennel owner on the Forum page of ObedienceUK if you are interested in following it up.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    ps. I believe he is a stones throw from Worcester.
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    5 years thats so sad!
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    NO Jackie. Five WEEKS!
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    CaroleC likes this.
    :021: ..note to self....wear your glasses !!
  16. musky

musky New Member

Name:
    Kay
    I have a Newfoundland called Megan and she is a dream to own, yes she is very hairy and you must be prepared for that, but as for slobber she only really slobbers when she is either waiting for her dinner or a treat, she doesn't slobber all the time, maybe it's just her :confused:

She has been really easy to train and she is very laid back (about everything) other people always are amazed how big she is, but we are used to having large dogs, so she doesn't seem that big to me

As for water, well :rolleyes: she fell in our garden pond when she was quite young and so she only likes to paddle now, when she gets hot she likes to put her front feet in the water

This is Megan
    [​IMG]Hello !!!! by Kay Musk, on Flickr
  17. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Wow your Megan is an absolute stunner!!
    have spent some time around newfs, I was on work experience at a vet clinic and I was lucky enough to observe and assist in the castration of a male newf. He too did not slobber much and he was hardly shedding. I was able to vigorously rub him without being coated in fur, so really I believe it depends on the individual dog!

@CaroleC I hope that the dog finds a home soon. However, I would not be able to take on an adult dog as I have a mini yorkie and feel that it would be best to introduce a second dog as a puppy along with the use of adaptil collars for the transition.
  18. swimdog

swimdog Member

Name:
    jackie
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    SAM_0430-2_resized.JPG My Newfie Zack is my life, but they are hard work but such loving faithful dogs. He is now 9 years old and this is old for a Newfie, but he is fit as a fiddle. My two cats love him as he grooms them (it's so funny to watch). If you don't mind drool and lots of grooming you couldn't have a better friend. Good luck with your choice. This is Zack with some lambs we hand reared.