Siberian Husky Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Markie Paige, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige

Siberian Husky

Starting from the beginning~Siberian HUSKIES where breed 3,000 years ago by the nomadic Indian Tribe Chukchi for the purpose of sledding. They where brought to North America in the turn of the twenty century. The breed is from the territory of Siberia, Russia. Since their development they were pulling. The characteristics of a breed that needs endurance and agility to get through the cold harsh winter's of Russia. They are strong build and made of muscle in fact it takes a lot of not working with a husky to make them fat and unhealthy. They keep their bodies in very good shape. They have triangular heads with a long muzzle and erect ears. Their eyes are Brown, Blue, and Bi-eyed. Their fluffy fur coats are Black/white, Brown/white, Red/white, and white. They sometimes have Mink coats that are just gorgeous. They are double coated fur babies. They have medium to long coat and a soft dense undercoat. The undercoat blows twice a year before a huge season change, so before Summer and Fall as it's getting colder outside. There are Pros and Cons about owning this wonderful breed. I'm going to start with the Cons. They can be extremely hard to train especially for inexperienced handlers it can be impossible. They are also very independent and stubborn which only adds to the trouble of training. If Huskies get bored destroying things and howling just as if they where wolves is something that will happen. Oh there howl can be heard from a mile away. That could be good or bad. Pros you will have a very loyal, hard working, funny, pack of your own. They love working for their owners and making them happy. When deciding to get one make sure to have a fenced in yard that has plenty of room for running and playing. Siberian HUSKIES love playing with their owners chasing is a great game of choice and hiding food to make them find it is entertaining. :):) http://www.pawculture.com/breed-basics/dog-breeds/siberian-husky-dog-breed~Important Information~1.) They are pack Animals2.)Food and diets high protein and fats( Spare no experience on food also add raw meat to it) 3.) Start training as puppies4.)vigorous training 30 minutes to an hour sometimes an hour and half is better.5.) Happy, easily attached, energetic, fun, playful, laid back.6.) Not a good watch dog( licking everyone's face) 7.) No barking howling is more appropriate8.) Working breeds good with sledding and therapy work9.) They love the cold in fact it takes double the time to get calm down after snow hits the ground 10.) They will push for Dominance over their owners everyday just to see what they can get away with http://www.petguide.com/breeds/dog/siberian-husky~ Best way to train~Huskies are very laid back but dont let it trick you. They are very difficult to train. The best way to train them is to get the as puppies 8-12 weeks old best time. They require a Hiearchy you must be above them in every thing. Crate training and leash training is a good way to start however I would not start leash training tell they are 16 weeks old. Huskies need their boundaries established as soon as getting them. They also thrive with an Alpha so no dis service is coming to them to establishing your dominance over them. https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Husky-Training-Once the role is established which can take at least two months or up to a year. Your training can amplify by a lot because they respect your boundaries. Some things you can teach once established is off leash training, help pulling things and about twenty minutes stay time. They need it as their basic since they are so intelligent working their mind and body is a must. One thing to keep in mind a good husky is a tired husky. ~Husky playtime~ Huskies playing together looks as if they are trying to kill one another to the untrained eye. How exactly do they play?? They will bite one another, go after each others legs and hold on, neck bite, body bites, and running always running. Fighting~ The fights are a little different. They are straight aggressive. Huskies don't hide their dislikes very well and won't put up with things. They bare their teeth, circle, and a look on their faces that says leave me the heck alone. important for them to find tell leader in the pack it allows things to go much smoother. Once they have established dominance stop the fight and act as if it didn't happen. Neither dog should get in trouble it is their Nature.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    ~Vocabulary~ Dominance- Controlling, prevailing, or powerful position in a social Hiearchy.Hiearchy- A system in which people or things are put at various levels or ranking of importance. http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/hierarchy~Common health problems~ Eye diseases the most serious is cataractsSkin problems chronic allergies causes itchiness, bacterial infections and hair lossHip dysplasiaHypothyroidism, heart disease, epilepsy, and laryngeal paralysis http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/siberianhuskies.html~Personality type of owner~ Confidence, energetic, gentle, love sports, lovable, and welcoming to strangers it's always good to have a close personality with the breed of choice easier relationship. ~Husky personality~They are not average dogs highly intelligent, sensitive, and energetic, and runners. They love running so much that if not supervised and aloud to run they will find away. ~ A working/showing daily schedule~5:30am outside bathroom break and play time for an hour. Location: Backyard6:30am Breakfast Taste Of The Wild ( best dog food brand for Huskies) 7:00am drink break and training (physical training) 9:00am bike ride( they go on the tow line and pull) 10:00am rest break12:00pm lunch Taste of the Wild with raw meat added1:00pm drink basic obedience and lunge line to teach mush commands for the puppies. The older huskies are pulling tires or logs. They get switched as a switch puppies. 2:00pm to the basement to rest with ice water pool to cool off and rest.4:00pm Go to 40 acre field to hunt and run stay tell 6pm. The land is across from my house. 6:00pm Dinner Salad in bowl it's all raw products 7:30pm show( mental) obedience and drink break8:30pm Time for huskies to go to bed and last bathroom break. Their bed I'd on my floor in my room.
  4. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    They love sleeping where I am they also leave the cats alone. None show/working huskies should not have this schedule it's a lot of work and pulling. If you are doing it for telling sport or to enter a contest race that's different but it puts a lot of strain on the huskies. My huskies get vet checked every six months to make sure they are in top condition. ~Dog training and age it should be taught~ This is my own person schedule for my huskies and any huskies I take in to train. 12 weeks old kennel training and put leash and harness on training. (Phase 1) 16 weeks old sit, lay down, stay(2 minutes) walk and start commands on leash for mushing. Along with a stack that is a pose used during shows(phase 1) Do not underestimate your puppy they are very clever. There are a few different teaching styles to teach this but if you want to know mine personal please send me a private message. 20weeks old teach shake, jump up on things, settle, easy, high five and grooming practice. (Phase 2 training) you should still be teaching phase 1 training as well just to keep fresh in memory. 6 months all of phase 1 training should be done with no issue. Biting is no long tolerated either harsh punishment if they don't stop. Start all mush commands on a lunge line or cord in a circle arena is the best way to do it. To see how well they listen and follow commands. 7 months add some weight to their pulling 8 months phase 2 training should be perfect and added time on the stays about 10-15 minutes of them staying in one place. 11 months out them on the sled in their place on the line. ( Placement on line is based on attitude and size) Don't underestimate them. 12 months able to move as a team with the team on the tow line and a few hours of pulling 3-5 hours. With complete control in the line.Attachments6 Show these thumbnailsMarkieonlineabout 17 hours ago · #2My dog line up: Maliki lead dogPolar, winter swing dogsTyson and Duke wheel dogs Now my line for the Ironline is: Maliki, polar lead dogs Winter, Tyson wheel dogsThe Ironline race is a race in Iron River Michigan it's a two day event. Those four dogs where my team when I was 19 years old which was three years ago. I did plan on going again this year but winter got pregnant. I will go again in 2019My very first race was with my parents dogs the line wasTundra, Storm lead dogs Sasha and Luna swing dogs Devinn and King wheel dogsI was 17 on this race I went on my own both times. When putting dogs on the tow line make sure they are secure and there is no way for them to get off that's very important. The opening event of the Ironline is on the night of the first day. I recommend getting there a day early to learn what you can about the course and mess with other dogs that will be racing. That night is for dogs teams of 6-10 dogs which I'm telling you is a long night and freezing cold. I also believe this is a race that is wonderful for beginners it's in a small town where everyone knows everybody. There are no stops on the trail however which is why brining music is very important. The people who run the Ironline are Josh and Tracy super wonderful people it's an every year race. Once the race is done it's all fun and games rather you win or lose. You go take all your heavy gear off relax eat, drink, sleep and lots of talking. Also give the dogs a nice meal to show how much you appreciate the work the did for you. ~Golden rules of racing~1.) Have a good time it's not about winning2.) Never get mad at the dogs they are working the best they can3.) Respect the race4.) Make sure your dogs are clear and healthy5.) Five the dogs a nice meal at the end6.) Make sure to have everything prepared before the race7.) Keep a clear head and set goals you know you can reach makes you feel more successful8.) Stay positive you start feeling bad so will the dogs9.) Go watch a few races before entering 10.) The dogs are more important then you during the race. You should always be more concerned about the dogs then yourself. ~Mushing Equipment~ Race mandated gearCold weather sleeping bagAxePair of snowshoesFuel CookerPotDog bootsHarnessesDog jacketSLEDLight weightSki wax helps with gliding on snowMUSICiPod great for long drivesLAYERSSportswearWind stoppersFleece shortsDown vestDown jacketInsulated softshellParkaFur hatFur mittens Fur parka ruffSHOESWool linear under thick socksLight bootsExtra linears for bootsSKI POLE~Mushing Commands~ Gee- right turnHaw- left turnCome gee- 180 degree turn rightCome haw- 180 degree turn leftLine out- command to pull line out straight for lead dogHike- command to goTrail- right of way command signal to other snow mobile objects and sledders Whoa- stop commandReferences http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...FxbkvVDcOri4B_PLgFKxfeG1mAaAnaoEALw_wcBSocial behaviours in Siberian huskiesSocial behaviours in Siberian huskieshttps://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=I8HU_3ycrrEC&oi=fnd&pg=PA115&dq=hierarchy+of+huskies+dogs&ots=Bd7xYxi2p8&sig=07r2hPpImR6Fj8ziyLaUbLcnQfA#v=onepage&q=hierarchy%20of%20huskies%20dogs&f=falsehttps://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=SpkSd__EdKYC&oi=fnd&pg=PA105&dq=hierarchy+of+huskies+dogs&ots=4oSw1HOSSa&sig=SGrJRKvwY4nn9V9OndIOu0s_oUA#v=onepage&q&f=falsehttps://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=ygYmDwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=IA1&dq=hierarchy+of+huskies+dogs&ots=ESGNKQYxqb&sig=3lyFUIFpg1yapPqqu6tm1VXMJIA#v=onepage&q&f=falsehttp://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/s...www.everythinghusky.com/features/mushingterms
  5. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    #3~Iditarod~The Idiatrod is a mushers paradise. It's a harsh cold drive of only northern breeds( dogs meant to be in the snow). All musher register to race just like in all mush marathons. The race is a 1,000 mile course that take eight to fifteen days to cross. The race is in Alaska. It was started after the relay to get the medicine to Nome, Alaska. The famous race by Balto a Siberian Husky. The race has between 77-79 mushers in it. They come from all over the world to race in this once a year race. They are required to have a 24 hour late over and two eight hour rest throughout the race. The checkpoints are very good things in the view of the mushers during the race. At the checkpoints there are vets that check every dog that comes through. If a dog is not good to go on they have other dogs that are ready to take it's place. The dog goes back to the family to get proper care and see a vet. Mushers can own anywhere from 36-72 dogs. The dogs burn 10,000-12,000 calories running the race the meals on the Idiatrod are what is known in mushing terms as slump it's a mixture of meats that keep the dogs going. Even when the dogs are of season the eat a grain free diet. They are super excited to run. The dogs Love it and are not getting harmed at all doing the race.Idiatrod winners and awardsDallas Seavey 2016 Fastest winning team 8days 11hours and 20minutes Dallas Seavey 2012 you get musher to winMary Shields 1974 First women to finishLibby Riddles 1984 First women to winRobert Sorlie 2003 First women from overseas Dallas Seavey father also races his name is Mitch Seavey he was 22 in his first race the year of 1982. He has dedicated his whole life to the sport. Recommendations 1.) Your very first husky puppy should be a girl they are easiest to take care off and handle 2.) Start training as soon as possible3.) Off leash training is possible and should be taught at a young age.4.) Huskies just wanted to make you happy 5.) Watch the prey drive they love eating small game. If you want a cat get it first. 6.) Make play dates for your huskies. The best dogs for play dates are other Huskies, German Shepherds, and Malamutes as they understand the playing is not fighting :)
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Unfortunately the videos in your OP are unavailable. I would have loved to have seen them. :(
  7. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    Malka likes this.
    I will have to fix that
  8. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    Huskies playing
  9. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    Huskies fighting
  10. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Great piece you have written
    My Japanese Akita plays rough, hence he doesn’t have many friends
    Maybe we should have taken two from the litter so he had a “ play mate “
  11. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    Thank you!!:-D:-D Yes that would have been a good thing. You could just go buy another now ;-) Then he would have a friend. :)
  12. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Great post! :) I had owned a husky years back & he definitely was a handful! He was very protective of me & my husband (before we had kids). Unfortunately I had to sell him cuz we had to move into a small apartment and I couldn't keep him:( Great dog he was. I always loved Siberian huskies. Now I have a 1yr old Alaskan malamute, Mila :) shes a sweet girl
  13. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Watching you video again, I can see the behaviour Yoji has towards other male dogs is exactly the same as you dominant Husky
    It’s no acceptable behaviour in “ our “ world though, other dog owners wouldn’t tolerate watching their dog go through that....understandably
  14. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    The way I look at it is they are going to do it behind my back or I let them do it I'm front of me once they find dominance its not normally an issue. I know huskies are pack animals and I respect that. My highest ranking dog is a 40 lbs female named Maliki she is what I call the little Beta perfect angel but if she doesn't like something going on and she knows j don't either she will go correct the dog doing hasn't happened in about 6 months all of them are wonderful pack and protective with puppies around
  15. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    It’s all interesting isn’t it, we have chosen to take wild/pack animals and if we want a “ house pet “ we continue to work against their natural instincts, some people chose to work with their dogs original use/traits
    It’s very complex
  16. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    It is very interesting that's for sure
  17. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    Thank you They do tend to get a little rough to handle around a year. I keep mine busy harder work better results keeps them focused. I love Malamutes also they are huge babies I means that in a very good way I am friends with a breeder of Malamutes they come to me to get trained and groomed every once and a while fun to be around
  18. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    There is no way I could stand and film my dogs have a fight.
    The first sign of trouble would be stopped in its tracks.

The Alpha theory has also been debunked.
    https://www.flvetbehavior.com/uploads/7/7/3/4/77348517/alphawolf.pdf

Quote) one of the outdated pieces of information is the concept of the alpha wolf. "Alpha" implies competing with others and becoming top dog by winning a contest or battle. However, most wolves who lead packs achieved their position simply by mating and producing pups, which then became their pack. In other words they are merely breeders, or parents, and that's all we call them today, the "breeding male," "breeding female," or "male parent," "female parent," or the "adult male" or "adult female." In the rare packs that include more than one breeding animal, the "dominant breeder" can be called that, and any breeding daughter can be called a "subordinate breeder."
    http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/why-not-dominance
  19. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    No offense or anything but I have more then enough evidence on this breed on this on article to show you are wrong at least with huskies and I have never heard of breeding male and breeding female as the top dogs in a pack before but thanks for reading. Also know a lot of GSD owners who wouldn't buy what your saying either but none the less thank you for reading.
  20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    There is a photo of a large pack of Wolves on the move through snow circulating on social media, which has been interpreted by Ivan Ginsberg.
    He observes that the first three wolves are old and inform.
    The next four are from the youngest and strongest in the pack.
    The breeding main body of the pack form next group, followed again by five of the strongest, giving rear protection.
    The pack leader takes the rear position. He ensures that no one is left behind, and acts as a bodyguard to the entire group.

All very interesting, but very difficult to transpose to the behaviour of a couple of dogs in a domestic setting. The largest pack number I have had was a combination of nine Cavaliers and Löwchen, but I found that it was always my bitches that ruled the roost. The only time I had any jockeying for dominance was when a quiet 14 year old bitch died. She was so gentle and kind that I never realised she was the pack leader until she had gone and the others started to try and boss each other about.
  21. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Lol awwe they really ARE big babies!:D if something scares her when i take her out to go potty at night she growls & barks but then runs & hides behind me!:D lol i laugh & tell her geee dont i feel safe now! :081: when i get a harness i am going to put her to work too! Lol she can pull my kids around in the sled...when it snows again!:D lol. She likes to work!