Sick Shar Pei Introductions

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by Giuseppe, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Giuseppe

Giuseppe New Member

Name:
    Louise

Sick Shar Pei

Hello, I've just joined tonight!! Here in Northern Ireland no vet appears to be knowledgeable to the requirements of a Shar Pei. I am at my wits end. My eldest shar pei Giuseppe who is 5 next month has been diagnosed with kidney failure. He has levels of 8.3 creatinine. Has anyone any advise please.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Hi, I'm Barbara and am owned by Georgina, my 2 year old Shar-Pei. I'm so sorry to hear about Guiseppe and understand how worried you must be, I'd be frantic if it was my girl!.

I don't know whether I can help but I'll try. It sounds to me that Guiseppe is suffering from Amyloidosis which is often accompanied with FSF the symptoms of which are a fever and swollen hocks. You'll find plenty of information online. As far as I understand treatment is normally with Colchicine and a low salt diet.

The leading world authority on Shar-Pei health is Dr Linda Tintle of the Wurtsboro Veterinary Clinic in the US. You could contact her for advice and you'll find the details on her website.

The best Shar-Pei vet in the UK is Chris Mann of the Chapel House Veterinary Practice in Chesterfield, Derbys. You could contact him for advice and see whether he could recommend a vet in Northern Ireland. You'll find all his details online.

It might also be worth joining the Shar-Pei Club and the Shar-Pei Health and Education on Facebook, as you might find someone who can recommend a Shar-Pei friendly vet in your area. Another thought is to contact Shar-Pei breeders in Ireland. The only one I could find though is Tracy Shelley of Zaralee Shar-Pei in Co, Wexford.

Hope that helps. Georgina and I send you and Guiseppe healing vibes!
  4. Giuseppe

Giuseppe New Member

Name:
    Louise
  5. Giuseppe

Giuseppe New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hello Barbara, thank you so much for your very kind reply with all the information. I will certainly use this and let you know how I get on x
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Hello Louise

I've been thinking of you and wondering how Guiseppe is!

I don't know if it will help but today someone on the Shar-Pei Health and Education Group on Facebook posted a list of Shar-Pei savvy vets, mainly in the US and UK, but there was one for Northern Ireland which I thought I'd pass on to you.

Andrew Healey
    Clare Veterinary Group
    75 Ballynure Road
    Ballyclare BT39 9AG

Tel: 02893 322223

They also have a website which will give you more information ... Clare Veterinary Group.
  7. Giuseppe

Giuseppe New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Barbara, thank you again - Giuseppe my beautiful shar pei passed away on Monday there was nothing more anyone could do - I am completely devastated - every day with him was a gift. x

Attached Files:

8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Giuseppe likes this.
    I am so sorry to read your sad news about your beloved Giuseppe - may his memory be for a Blessing.

Run free sweet Giuseppe, run free as fast as you can. xx
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Giuseppe likes this.
    So sorry to hear this news. I can see from his picture what a beautiful dog he was.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Giuseppe likes this.
    At only five years, how sad. We all know how you must be feeling, and there are no words that can really help. Guiseppe lives on in your memories, cherish every one of them.