Signs before she gives birth? Health

Discussion in 'Dachshund (Smooth Haired)' started by roxy_girl, Nov 4, 2008.

1. roxy_girl

roxy_girl New Member

Name:
    Charné

Signs before she gives birth?

Hi my dachshund is 58 days pregnant and she is starting to have a clear discharge and she feels cold. when will I know that it is time to give birth?

Can anybody please help me?????
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Reisu

Reisu New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Can you take her temperature? If it's 37C she'll whelp in the next 12-24 hours :) If she's not been eating that'll put it in that timeframe too, I think.
  4. Gillbo64

Gillbo64 New Member

Name:
    Gill
    Lizzie's had two litters, the first time she showed no signs until she went out to pee & started "nesting" under some trees. The second time she became very clingy & restless shortly before & again tried nesting anywhere quiet ... under the table, under my bed. She ate her breakfast as normal on both occasions - I guess all dogs are different but thats my personal experience.

Good luck & enjoy it, it's an amazing experience :)
  5. roxy_girl

roxy_girl New Member

Name:
    Charné
    she doesnt lay down for long.she turns and moves alot.i dont have something at the moment to take her temp with but wil go get today.also thanks for the advice
  6. tink

tink New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    A bitches temperature can be slightly lower than average the week they are due to whelp anyway.To gain an accurate pinpoint of the drop it is better to do it consistantly for a couple of weeks prior to giving birth so that you know what your biches 'average' temp is to start with.That way the actual 'drop' is spotted more acurately.This needs to be done two or three times a day and recorded.If not done properly it is not always reliable.I find the digital thermometers best and some KY jelly,it needs to be in a good inch or more,the bitch needs to be calm and still,try rolling her over and tickilng her tummy and talking to her to keep her relaxed.A sharp rise followed by a significant drop is indicative to me that a bitch may whelp.However she may well keep you waiting for another few days yet.
    All bitches are different and some display obvious signs of imminent whelping whilst others will carry on eating and behaving quite normally.
    You should already have a thermometer really so as to check bitches temperature in the weeks after whelping to indicate any temperature rises/signs of infection etc..Whelping really is a huge undertaking and you should make sure you have everything possible that may be needed just incase.Preparation is the key in making the experience a little easier for your bitch and yourself.The book of the bitch is brilliant,i wouldn't be without it whether whelping or not.It is a great insight into how your bitches body/mind works and is often referred to as 'the breeders bible'.
    Good luck.
  7. roxy_girl

roxy_girl New Member

Name:
    Charné
    roxy just had 2 puppies.
    They are so cute and small!but she doesnt want to lay still so that they can drink.
    What should i do?
    Please help!
  8. melsgems

melsgems New Member

Name:
    Mel
    HI, I would start a new thread asking that question, just so people realise its there....hope things go ok
  9. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine

Any news on the pups, what's the count now:grin:
  10. roxy_girl

roxy_girl New Member

Name:
    Charné
    hi all.
    I will start a new thread about the pups.
    Please check, i wont say no to advice.