Skin infection and glands on back legs swollen Health

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by katygeorge, Jun 18, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy

Skin infection and glands on back legs swollen

Im really stressed out. Been to the vets with Phoebe today as her skin is getting bad after my stupid mistake with the tea tree shampoo. Vet said the secondary infection had kicked in and we needed cephacare, i knew this was going to happen so wasnt a shock. Vet then asked to weigh Phoebe as she looked skinny, shes lost 3 kg :( and the glands on her back legs are swollen :eek:. Vet is hoping its just because the skin infection is worse around the back end of her body but says coupled with the weight loss she is concerned. So now im concerned and have 2 weeks in limbo land till we go back. My finances are in a shocking state and we are trying to save for fertility treatment and the vet started to go on about blood and urine test ( i can handle that) and biopsy's this i cant handle as just putting Phoebe under is around £350 when i asked could it be done sedated with local the vet giggled and said no (dont see why is was funny ive had a biopsy with only local) Im now really upset and worried about Phoebe and worried about how im going to find the money and what im going to do if i cant find it and can i even bare to take it out of our fertility fund when saving each penny in there has been such a struggle. The weight up and down thing has been going on since November and we had blood and urine done then and the blood was normal and the urine had trace amounts of liver enzymes in. Im thinking worse case but hoping for best case in 2 weeks :(
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh Katy - poor Phoebe and poor you. :cry:

I cannot offer any suggestions or help but just want to send {{{vibes}}} for Phoebe and (((hugs))) to you. xx
  4. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Try not to worry Katy the cephacare may well clear it up and if it does there's no point stressing yourself out over what if's. The price of bloods etc really racks up as I discovered with Rio. Have you got a credit card? I stick all the vets bills on mine and just hand it over without thinking about it at least that way if the bill is bigger than expected you can spread the cost a bit.
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Sorry to hear Phoebe is unwell - hopefully the cephacare will cover it.

You may just have to wait a bit longer for he fertility treatment Katy... who needs kids anyway when you've got puppy-like Phoebe :D :lol:
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    With a bit of luck the cephacare will clear everything up
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sorry about Phoebe, things usually have a way of working themselves out.
    Perhaps have a word with your vet and see if hell let you pay by payments.
  8. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Katy :) try not to jump too far ahead, Wait and see how things are after the cephacare. You could be worrying unnecessarily .
  9. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Thanks for replys guys. Feeling a bit better today. Think it just took me by surprise yesterday. Cephacare should arrive tomorrow so can get started on that. Will let you know what vet says when we go back
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    How's Phoebe today has her skin condition cleared up yet Katy
  11. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    No tina cant say i cant say ive seen any improvment yet. Shes having baths in hibiscrub as well to help. Just to add to my worrys i found a lump on her foot when i was bathing her. Its like a lose pea under the skin, it didnt feel atached to anything and she wasnt bothered when i kept messing with it but will show vet when we go back next week
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Seen this poster at my vets made me think about Phoebe,

10390940_487208014744265_5401335997095439923_n.jpg
  13. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    we sussed out what cleaning stuff shes allergic to ages ago. its my fault i tried a new shampoo i dont know why i had to mess with it. Im sticking with hibbi scrub now and saying no to all fancy shampoos. Even though the one my mum picked up for us smells like pancakes with maple syrup.
  14. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Skin is looking a bit better. The black patches have lost their redness and the dry bits have started to flake off (nice) the mystery wounds on her feet have scabbed up nice and her ears are looking ok'ish. Cant tell if she gained any weight and due to 2 nights of bloating she has had the runs and i doubt thats helped. Picking up some of the puppy version of her food and mixing it in as vet thinks it will help with weight gain. Will be about 3/4 normal 1/4 puppy. Vet thinks we could end up sticking with mix on a permanant basis as the weight things been going on since november.
  15. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
  16. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Poor Phoebe, she has had it badly. I'm glad you've sorted out what has caused the problem. Have the glands in her hind legs gone down as well?
  18. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    From what i can tell they have gone down.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Fingers crossed Phoebe continues to improve.
  20. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Skin is looking better and were back at the vets on Tuesday for a check up and a weigh in. Im worried about weigh in as i cant see that she has gained weight even with extra food and puppy food. He left ear seams to be feeling left out so im dealing with a swollen red sore dirty ear now, shes already on the antibiotics so just doing the cleaning which is a drama as she doesnt bother with her ear untill i clean it then shes going potty shaking her head and scratching her ear which makes me not want to clean it. Have found taking her for a walk soon as ive done it and then putting one of her boots on back left foot seams to help her leave it alone but the boot isnt designed for a back foot so doesnt fit very well. Glands still seam to be there but they kinda alwasy have been and im thinking maybe they look more prominent as she has lost so much weight. Shes 4kg under and there inst an ounce of fat on her legs atall.
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Poor Phoebe, this warm weather won't be helping. Katy, have you thought about giving her a trial on grain free food? It is supposed to be hypoallergenic and all the dogs I know that have been changed to grain free seem to be much better on it. Ed has Wainwrights, but I did try him on CSJ - he loved it but I had to change back to W/w as he was putting on too much weight (it's 23% fat). It is reasonable, at £35.70 for 15 kilos. They also do a 2 1/2 k bag, but the agent I used didn't carry that size. Have a look at the CSJ website, and see what you think.

I got my bag from Katie Burns - I think she lives in Cheshire, not sure where, but she trains at our club (DigIt) in Sandbach - her email is, carryonsflyball@hotmail.com