Skin infection and glands on back legs swollen Health

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by katygeorge, Jun 18, 2014.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Baby /children socks are brilliant to put on dogs paws to stop them from scratching, I just pop sock on then using plaster roll to stop sock from falling off.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi Katy I swear by savlon or tcp disinfectant put in a bowl of warm water to bathe the dogs in or dab on infected areas. Hope your baby is ok soon.vets bills are ridiculous,u end up paying for things the dog doesn't really need to have done. Breast of lamb is good for weight gain that is if your dogs not got a delicate stomach,or pasta.
  4. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Shes on wainwrights grain free. Been using it for about 3 months now. Im not blaming that for the weight loss as its been going on a while now just not this bad

so weird you brought her up ive been looking at her training school as part of my research ready for next dog. Im only in Nantwich so not far
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    katygeorge likes this.
    Well there you go! Small world isn't it?
  6. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    Went to vets yesterday. Skin looking good so vets happy to stop antibiotics :) , glands normal so no need to worry about it :), ear poorly so got some easotic to help :( , only gained 300 grams so rather disappointed :mad: . Vet says try not to worry as atleast she hasnt lost anymore but 300 g is pathetic for 3 weeks of extra feed. On weekly weigh ins and having a review after 4 weigh ins if goes down or only goes up in tini amounts having blood test. vet didnt see the need to do them yesterday but said she would if i wanted but as i doubt i will have the money to do anything about the results im happy to wait a few weeks in the hope situation changes.
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    As Phoebe been tested for over active thyroid ?
  8. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Thats one of the things that the blood test will cover if/when i have it done.
  9. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Hi Katy, Sorry to hear that Phoebe hasn't put on weight as you hoped.

I've been following a thread on Georgie's breed site about 4 year old Apple and her owner's struggle to get her to gain weight. Since she was a puppy Apple has had lots of food and skin allergies plus a number of illnesses particular to Pei. Earlier this year she developed IBS and over a short period of time lost so much weight she was just skin and bone. In June her owner posted that although her IBS was under control and Apple was being given extra food, she still wasn't gaining weight. Another forum member who'd had a similar problem with one of her dogs ... a Labrador ... suggested adding a small quantity of green tripe and raw goat's milk to Apple's grain free kibble. She added that peanut butter also helps to put on weight. Yesterday her owner posted to say that in the 4 weeks she's followed the advice Apple has gained 2.6 kgs. Perhaps it might work for Phoebe?
  10. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Katy how is pheobe doing after all her upsets?
  11. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    fieldy likes this.
    Not great shes just done 8 days in kennels as i had to be away for work. Shes happy there as i work there casually so shes settled but has lost more weight. So im chucking out the rule book. She is going back on her normal food with a raw lunch and a supper of what ever i decide. She had a slice of steak and kidney pie last night and was quite happy with her self.
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I know Wagg is good for putting weight on dogs, we use it at The Rescue Home when we are trying to get dogs to put weight on.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I chucked out all the rule books a long while back, and just do what is necessary to keep Pereg happy and not cause her any problems. As long as she is healthy and happy, and she is definitely happy and as healthy as any normal dog, albeit now rather overweight, I do not intend to discard either her happiness or her health just because "the rule books" tell me this, that or whatever.

Katy - you know your Phoebe, just as I know my Pereg. So to blank with the rule books as their happiness is more important than rules dreamed up by someone who does not know either of them. :052:
  14. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    First of all it's good to see you back Katy .... I missed you and Phoebe. :038:

I'm all for chucking the rule book and doing whatever I feel best for my dog(s). With food Georgina can eat whatever, whenever, and as much as, she likes providing it's healthy and doesn't contain grains. I know it might be frowned on by some but it's what suits Georgie and me that really matters. :023:
  15. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Sorry to hear she's still not right Katy,you do what you feels best for your lady;) And keep positive!
  16. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    CaroleC likes this.
    small bit of lasagne for supper tonight, one happy Phoebe. off to butchers tomorrow to get some yummy raw stuff for lunch times. Tripe be my main purchase but will look at other animal parts i think she will enjoy (not fun for me i only eat chicken) My step mum also fed Phoebe some baby squid that was 19p on the bargain shelf at sainsburys today, Phoebe was really impressed with them, i wasnt as she wanted to play with them first so each one got chucked around the kitchen. i have 3 weeks where i wont be away now so going to try fatten her up before her next visit to kennels.